6/26 4:10 PM Tigers @ Diamondbacks

Motor City Sonics

35 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

The other issue is...

It takes some time to warm up another pitcher. And warming up that pitcher "burns" him if you don't get him into the game, the same as if he had actually pitched an inning. I'm not certain how much time... 15 minutes WAG?

And by then the shooting might already be over.

There is *some* truth to this, but even on this point the case is over stated. In almost every case the guy is going to come into the game anyway, the only question is this inning or next inning. Being half way to ready in the 5th when you are scheduled to in for the 6th is just not a big deal. The exception would be getting someone up in the 9th when your closer is already in the game because otherwise that guy might actually not have had to warm up at all.

53 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

There is *some* truth to this, but even on this point the case is over stated. In almost every case the guy is going to come into the game anyway, the only question is this inning or next inning. Being half way to ready in the 5th when you are scheduled to in for the 6th is just not a big deal. The exception would be getting someone up in the 9th when your closer is already in the game because otherwise that guy might actually not have had to warm up at all.

I actually should have kept "wasting a pitcher" comments out of there.

The main point I was trying to get across is that it may take more time to get a replacement reliever ready/ warmed up than for the opposing team to strike.

And I know there are delaying tactics to help the new guy get time to warm up. But if a skipper has the mindset that "my guy needs to get through this" (current reliever) that puts that inning in an SOL condition regardless...