2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

50 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Interesting observation. Speaking as one that will vote for neither candidate,

Are you absolutely certain that you will feel this way eight months from now, and that nothing along the way can change your mind?

43 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Totally, as I've said, I would be surprised if this wasn't a lower turnout election across the board.

If they can a snap election for tonight, then yes, I agree.

I bet there will be more energy around this election, not less, in November than today.

1 hour ago, romad1 said:

And, do we delude ourselves about [Trump's] hidden strength in the actual places where there are voters. 

Absolutely not, I believe. Because if there's one thing I think we can be sure of about Trump's majority, they're not silent.

22 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Go talk to Vegas!

Or do you do betting apps?

No, I'm talking to you. You say Utah will go blue. I say they stay red. A thousand bucks, me and you. What do you say?

1 hour ago, romad1 said:

I'd ask.  Do we collectively MOTOWNFORUM live in a bubble about Trump's prevailing strength in the red lands beyond our surburban bastions?   And, do we delude ourselves about his hidden strength in the actual places where there are voters. 

Yes, I think this forum is way too optimistic about Biden winning.  It's going to be a close race like it was in 2016/2020.  I'd say 50/50.    

9 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

In a GOP that is completely dominated by Donald Trump, I'd argue her standing is currently pretty torpedo'd

I don't think so. She could still go all MAGA in language and tone and all would be forgiven. The only thing that would lose her is goodwill along RINOs and Democrats, which, boo hoo.

12 minutes ago, chasfh said:

So, I don't know anything about your smart person's background or his agenda, but he is insisting to you that rural southwest SW Kansas is actually a reliable representation of where all of America truly is, and is not a bubble unto itself? Do I have that straight?

Huh.

yeah, that is true.  I think the single data point is on both sides.   He's smart and he's trying to share his fears.   

He's more religious than I am so I'm sure he's running into the churchies more than I am. 

Edited by romad1

2 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Yes, I think this forum is way too optimistic about Biden winning.  It's going to be a close race like it was in 2016/2020.  I'd say 50/50.    

I think it's pretty close to 50/50 too, and I assume you probably consider me one of the more optimistic ones

As I stated before, Trump is going to win in a landslide.

The reason is as follows:

There has been a sleeper cell in America for nearly 100 years.

No – not Muslims. No – not those interested in Sharia Law.

It was backed by the Catholic church and strongly supported by American industry – especially those located in and around Detroit, MI.

Trump activated it and America will never be the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC1MNGFHR58

2 minutes ago, The Ronz said:

It was backed by the Catholic church and strongly supported by American industry – especially those located in and around Detroit, MI.

Release the kraken!

4 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I think it's pretty close to 50/50 too, and I assume you probably consider me one of the more optimistic ones

No, you have pointed to some inconsistencies in the polls which I agree with.  I haven't see unreasonable expectations from you.  I see some others assuming that Biden will win easily and I just don't see it.  

22 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Or, she could continue to lightly critique him, pulling her punches in public, while negotiating with him in private for a job with the Trump administration—perhaps ambassadorship to a first-world EU country—which would lead to an endorsement.

11 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Because they know she needs Trump more than he needs her.

These seem contradictory to me, fwiw.... if Trump didn't need her endorsement, he would, like Michael Corleone with Sen. Geary, would offer nothing.

The chances that Haley is part of Trump 2.0 are pretty close to zero, in my mind. This isn't Reagan/Bush we are talking about here.

3 minutes ago, The Ronz said:

Why didn't he win in a landslide in either of the past two elections?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

These seem contradictory to me, fwiw.... if Trump didn't need her endorsement, he would, like Michael Corleone with Sen. Geary, would offer nothing.

The chances that Haley is part of Trump 2.0 are pretty close to zero, in my mind. This isn't Reagan/Bush we are talking about here.

I didn't say Trump doesn't need her at all. I said she needs Trump more than Trump needs her. It's not an all-or-nothing thing.

Also, if she's back-channeling with the Trump people for a role in the administration—which, she'd be a complete dope if she weren't—then it doesn't matter what Trump proxies say in public about her. The important part is what they're talking about out of view. And regardless of Trump's and his proxies' public pronunciations about her, she is useful to him as a bridge between him and polite society, which still counts for something, at least until that point when he completely destroys polite society altogether.

Edited by chasfh

2 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Also, if she's back-channeling with the Trump people for a role in the administration—which, she'd be a complete dope if she weren't—then it doesn't matter what Trump proxies say in public about her. 

I mean, it isn't just the proxies.... it's Trump himself who trashed Nikki in his statement about dropping out.

At the very least, that isn't a helpful factor in any sort of negotiation like that.

2 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I mean, it isn't just the proxies.... it's Trump himself who trashed Nikki in his statement about dropping out.

At the very least, that isn't a helpful factor in any sort of negotiation like that.

Trump doesn't want to negotiate.  He wants to humiliate people and then have them come beg for favors.  He has done it over and over.  So many people have no self respect at all.  

• Like 1

Just now, mtutiger said:

Agree, it's not helpful, per se, but again, the public pronunciations mean nothing here. And it means nothing that Nikki Haley is still leveling any criticism at the notoriously thin-skinned Cheeto. It's what they're talking about behind the door that's important. After all, how many RINO politicos have we seen Trump trash in public before he magically accepted them back into the fold?

I would be frankly surprised to see Nikki Haley exiled completely from the Republican Party despite whatever her efforts may be. There's a way back for her, and I'm betting she is working on that at this very minute.

Just now, Tiger337 said:

Trump doesn't want to negotiate.  He wants to humiliate people and then have them come beg for favors.  He has done it over and over.  So many people have no self respect at all.  

I actually agree with you

She may yet endorse him, but if she does, it will be from a lack of self respect than some theoretical negotiation about a spot in a future Trump administration (which seems like a remote likelihood to me)

3 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I actually agree with you

She may yet endorse him, but if she does, it will be from a lack of self respect than some theoretical negotiation about a spot in a future Trump administration (which seems like a remote likelihood to me)

So, Nikki is probably asking for nothing, but she'll just cave in because she hates herself?

Well, I guess in a world where literally anything is possible ...

12 minutes ago, chasfh said:

After all, how many RINO politicos have we seen Trump trash in public before he magically accepted them back into the fold?

Counterpoint being that there have been plenty of RINO politicos who ended up out of work on account of Trump as well (Cheney, Kinzinger, Flake, Corker, etc.). 

To me, the biggest issue is that Haley is currently not in office, and in terms of an elected job, there is literally zero chance she can win a GOP primary for anything after this run, at least so long as Trump is the main driver of this GOP. An endorsement will not change that. And for many of the ones who did roll over, they *were* in office and it was the fear of a GOP primary during their next cycle.... that just does not apply to her.

Theoretically she could negotiate a job in a future Trump administration, but we have a disagreement on how likely that could even be anyway. So, at least in my mind, I don't know exactly what an endorsement gets her beyond standing by her statement today

Edited by mtutiger