2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

5 minutes ago, pfife said:

it will probably end up in court if she tries. She will be 35 by election day (by 2 weeks) but not by when she would have to file her nominating petitions. If the Constitution is interpreted to read that the candidate  must be 35- meaning at the time of filing, which is when other eligibility criteria are applied, she would not be eligible.

On 6/28/2022 at 1:03 PM, Tiger337 said:

Stern is one of the biggest jerks ever, but I'd vote for him over pretty much any current Republican.  I'd love to see him shred Trump.  

Stern goading Trump into talking about banging his daughter may be been the most cringeworthy piece of radio I ever had the misfortune to have overheard. It would be tough to decide which of their stenches is worse. 

7 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Stern goading Trump into talking about banging his daughter may be been the most cringeworthy piece of radio I ever had the misfortune to have overheard. It would be tough to decide which of their stenches is worse. 

It is no contest.  There is no stench worse than Trump.  

7 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

IDK, so far she's basically been a slash and burn politician. Does she get anything accomplished?

I don't follow NY politics, so I don't know what she has accomplished locally.  I am talking about her appeal in a race.  I doubt she is ready to be President.  

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

She probably doesn't even win the primary in New York. 

I can’t take her seriously because she’s in the good looking person bubble .  If she’s smart or crazy or whatever…she’s a smoke show

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

AOC is on Twitter throwing bombs at Biden for not doing things that out of the control of the president. We are truly fucked. 

little fool. How much harder is it to say "I urge you to write the white house and urge the president to work toward "x,y,z.." Just stupid and counterproductive to go after the only thing that stood between you and the abyss at the last election. Like I said - a slash and burn politician - for all intents and purposes just the liberal mirror image Jim Jordan.

Edited by gehringer_2

4 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

She has brains, I'm just not sure she has developed political street smarts yet...

No - she has no brains either, at least not any strategic brains. She doesn't think past tactics, and that's exactly what gets the Dems and GOP to the relative level of long term success on their goals that they are at now.

• Like 1

this is from Thomas Edsall's latest NYT column:

Steven Pinker, a professor of psychology at Harvard, contends that internecine conflict on the left has become “a profound issue, particularly for those of us who are terrified that the hard woke left will enable the resurgence of authoritarian populism by inflicting damage on the moderate left and center and by driving voters to the right.”

Pinker made the case by email that

much of the recent escalation is due to three deeply rooted beliefs of today’s woke left: One is that progress comes from struggle — a good force defeating an evil force, rather than problem-solving — diagnosing the inevitable ills of something as complex as a modern society (including people and factions who disagree with you) and implementing remedies. The second is the belief that systems of oppression are implemented not in overt policies like Jim Crow laws but in subtle patterns in language and visual symbols that insidiously instill unconscious bias in everyone. To make things better, one has to root out and marginalize the perpetrators of this pervasive oppression, rather than just outarguing an opposing faction. A third, shared by their strange bedfellows on the populist right, is that democratic liberal society is unreformable — the system is so corrupt and decadent that it must be razed to the ground, because anything that rises out of the ashes will be better than what we have now.

6 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

little fool. How much harder is it to say "I urge you to write the white house and urge the president to work toward "x,y,z.." Just stupid and counterproductive to go after the only thing that stood between you and the abyss at the last election. Like I said - a slash and burn politician - for all intents and purposes just the liberal mirror image Jim Jordan.

I'm a fan of her policies but my patience with her has run out. She was ranked as one of the least productive representatives. She upset an establishment Democrat in one of the most liberal districts in the country. She has absolutely no sense on how to win outside of the Bronx. 

I wouldn't say she is quite Jim Jordan yet. 

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

this is from Thomas Edsall's latest NYT column:

Even though I fall ideologically on the progressive left, I'm getting sick of it. You get canceled for mistakenly using the wrong pronoun. It's getting out of hand. I want more progressives in office but pragmatic ones. Ones who understand Joe Manchin is the best you will get from West Virginia. I was really hoping the progressives would rally around candidates like Fetterman and Ryan but instead they set up the firing squad on Democrats. 

I think AOC is smart but too idealistic.  If she never learns to to play the game, then she likely won't get far in politics.  If she does learn, I will probably like her less because politicians are full of shit which is one of the big reasons people ignore politics and don't vote.