2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

12 minutes ago, pfife said:

Cool story, post didn't apply to you then. 

I've been there and back again. Voted for McGovern in my 1st election. Had to vote for Gerald Ford though so that was an 'R'. Voted for Carter the 1st time but while he may well be some kind of modern day saint, he was an incompetent President so I did vote for Reagan. Of course would like to have that one back, but we didn't know then what we know now about what GOP economics would do, we only knew what we were doing wasn't working. If Reagan/Volker had not stopped the 80's inflation, we would have been in a real mess short term, that sort of trumped whatever long term concerns anyone had about the rest of the GOP ideology at the time. Still proud to have voted for GHWB.

Clinton? I actually don't remember. But pretty sure I voted against his re-election and I still don't regret that. Terrible precedent was set by the Dems with Clinton and we are paying for it now.

Edited by gehringer_2

39 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Apparently 51% of Detroiters don't think it's a problem or at least enough to fill out a ballot. 

To satisfy Pfife, I think you could argue that Detroiters in 2016 were coming off seeing a republican Governor that actually was working with the city to try and help it out (got them through bankruptcy for example).  As 1984 mentioned above about republicans, they are going to vote republican.  Same thing with Dems, so while percentage wise, those that voted for Hillary, there might be an argument that many stayed home because they weren't that mad at the GOP because of Snyder.

Goes towards my previous point as well, if Dems actually tried to talk/address issues seen in Rural areas, maybe they don't pick up a ton of votes, but they may also lower the amount of people that are intent on voting against them.  Much easier to point to Wyoming as an example of everything that is wrong with voting in this country and why the GOP 'steals' national elections occasionally.

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

I may have voted Republican once. I'm not sure what Jim Fouts is but that is probably my most regrettable vote. I voted for him before the recordings came out. 

He is a democrat and has voiced support for more progressive candidates, like Bernie Sanders.   I regrettably voted for him once as well.

1 minute ago, ewsieg said:

He is a democrat and has voiced support for more progressive candidates, like Bernie Sanders.   I regrettably voted for him once as well.

He seems bipolar. One minute he's marching down Van Dyke with BLM supporters, the next minute he's talking about locking up retards in cages. I really struggle to find out where he falls. The guy won't even tell us how old he is, much less his political affiliation. 

28 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I have voted in Detroit twice in 2005 and 2008. My mother even volunteered in the Hanson Clarke campaign. Apathy was a big thing. My mother went door to door and many didn't seem to care. I have no idea if anything changed in nearly 20 years. 

I'm friends with Hansen and his wife.

Great people.  

6 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

He seems bipolar. One minute he's marching down Van Dyke with BLM supporters, the next minute he's talking about locking up retards in cages. I really struggle to find out where he falls. The guy won't even tell us how old he is, much less his political affiliation. 

He's an oddball.  When he was on the council, he loved to say 'no' to everything.  Additionally he demanded the mayor to be more transparent with everything.  Probably the only thing he would have said yes to was transparent bathroom stalls that the mayor could use.  

As Mayor, anyone that questions him is just trying to make a name for themselves or trying to steal from the city.  

He does work a ton, responded to me over the weekend to a small complaint I had which I assumed my email would just hit a secretary in his office.  But he definitely feels no one else can do what he can do and therefore he shouldn't be questioned.

34 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

Oh trust me, i'm not blaming everyone else.  I certainly admit that I was not an 'abortion' voter as even though I disagreed with the republican platform and even leaned towards the 'bad law' complaint for RvW.  I simply never thought it would be overturned.  Similar to the social platform of the GOP.  I didn't like it, but I felt society as a whole was moving in the right direction and would overrun the religious component of the GOP. 

Now, I can't vote based on what I think are the best policies for the issues that I feel are most important to how we run our government.  I'll still give local republicans a chance if I see they are doing good work (probably just Miller), but i'm straight ticket dem at this point on bigger races.  I just wished the dem party focused on real solutions instead of complaining about how bad the other party is.  I mean, RvW wouldn't be this big of an issue if they would have just codified it, which even Manchin showed support for.

I wish the dems focused on how bad the other party is instead of how bad their own party is.

6 hours ago, pfife said:

Trump declared a fake state of emergency and effectively did whatever he wanted based on that with no politial recourse or penalty.   If Biden doesn't do the same, the Dems are unilaterally disarming.  If you want to support unilateral disarming its a free country 

4 minutes ago, pfife said:

I wish the dems focused on how bad the other party is instead of how bad their own party is.

6 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

One of the reason I chose to elect Biden is to restore the presidency and not just have the liberal version of Trump. I was hoping more Democrats would get elected in congress. Instead, Republicans have overturned Roe and the Democrats are blaming themselves. 

It's really the typical Democratic voter. They never cared about the Supreme Court. The Republicans held a Supreme Court seat hostage for nearly a year and Democrats still couldn't be bothered to vote. Now that we are facing the consequences of that decision, Democrats expect Biden to pull a rabbit out of his hat to counteract a Supreme Court decision. I don't think these progressives realizes that you don't just get to rebuild a democracy once you lose it. 

Elizabeth Warren had the brilliant idea of opening abortion clinics in federal parks. There is one federal park in Michigan. It's an uninhabited island in the middle of Lake Superior. It's only accessible by boat or floatplane and closed during the winter. It's a 600 miles from Detroit to where you would even board the plane or boat for the island. wHy IsN't BiDeN mAkInG tHiS hApPeN?!  

This is probably the best explanation I have seen. There is a lot of entitlement within the progressive ranks. 

6 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

LOL- you left out that you can walk there, from MN, in the winter, if there is enough ice, (which becomes less likely with each ton of coal burned). Just you and the moose and maybe the occasional timber wolf.

Elizabeth Warren said National Parks, not federal land. Uninhabited forest 200 miles from the largest urban center isn't much better especially when they can just cross the border into Canada. I'm guessing a lot of states don't have national parks within distance of urban centers. It's likely why they are national parks. 

5 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Biden just made a meaningless gesture. Progressives should be happy now. 

What a relief. Poor black Detroiters will only have to go 200 miles into Trump territory to Manistee National Forest for an abortion. 

They can cross the river into Canada. It would be easier, quicker and safer but hey an assanine idea is doing something. Progressive love their symbolic gestures. 

Now that Biden said he supports carving out the filibuster, I'm sure Manchin and Sinema will get right on it. Progressives can rejoice. Biden is pure again. If only Biden were from Michigan, he would be Pure Michigan. 

Who insulted them? 

I'll be woke now. They are to blame. Detroit had the lowest turnout in the state. It's by far the largest voting district in the state and the most Democratic. They didn't vote in the primary either. 

Here's just a sampling today of Democrats, their voters, and their policy ideas being insulted and blamed. Mostly by a purported Democrat who can't find anyone crapping on Democrats.... except me sayign they shouldn't unilaterally disarm. 

Edited by pfife

6 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Feel free to edit after I post in an attempt to change the argument so you win. Actually don't. 

Feel free to not infer my intentions

When you're here arguing that I'm the only one that insults dems... I don't need to change the argument.  I merely need to quote you.

Edited by pfife

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

So you are saying Elizabeth Warren did not suggest adding abortion clinics to national parks? 

Yes.  That's exactly what I'm saying.   She said federal land and I posted the quote.   That was a distinction you posted that was in fact wrong. 

Edited by pfife