2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

I think being smart makes DeSantis potentially more dangerous, but only if he has the same intent as Trump.  I am pretty sure deSantis' intentions are not good, but I don't know how bad they are.  Trump was pretty easy to figure out.  He hasn't changed in over 40 years.  He was a horrible person before DeSantis was even born. 

21 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I think being smart makes DeSantis potentially more dangerous, but only if he has the same intent as Trump.  I am pretty sure deSantis' intentions are not good, but I don't know how bad they are.  Trump was pretty easy to figure out.  He hasn't changed in over 40 years.  He was a horrible person before DeSantis was even born. 

I just don't see how anyone can watch DeSantis and really think he's equivalent to Trump.  Does he have political views 1/2 the country doesn't like, absolutely, but seriously I don't see any Trump like qualities in his personality.  

1 minute ago, ewsieg said:

I just don't see how anyone can watch DeSantis and really think he's equivalent to Trump.  Does he have political views 1/2 the country doesn't like, absolutely, but seriously I don't see any Trump like qualities in his personality.  

I don't know a lot about him.  He seems to play to the same target audience as Trump.  However, the Democrats made a mistake demonizing every Republican President.  Then when they did the same with Trump who deserved it, it was like crying wolf.  I expect I won't like DeSantis, but I don't know how much he is like Trump yet.  I am 100% voting for whomever Democrat candidate is though.  I won't consider any Republican until they clean up their embarrassing shit show.  

4 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

He’s a tremendous narcissist who abuses his power and takes a 3rd world dictator approach to dealing with any opposition especially from the media.    

2 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

He’s a tremendous narcissist who abuses his power and takes a 3rd world dictator approach to dealing with any opposition especially from the media.    

This could be said of anyone you disagree with politically.  In fact the Michigan supreme court voted that Whitmer overstepped her powers.  She won't speak to local journalists unless they agree to ask her questions in advance as well.  

I honestly don't know enough about him outside the fact that when I see horrible things attributed to him, I often learn later that are exaggerated, but are there politicians that aren't elevated on the narcissist scale?

26 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

Outside the fact that when I see horrible things attributed to him, I often learn later that are exaggerated, but are there politicians that aren't elevated on the narcissist scale?

No, they are narcissists by definition.  You pretty much have to be a narcissist to spend your life trying to get votes.  Naturally, some are worse than others.  

32 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

This could be said of anyone you disagree with politically.  In fact the Michigan supreme court voted that Whitmer overstepped her powers.  She won't speak to local journalists unless they agree to ask her questions in advance as well.  

I honestly don't know enough about him outside the fact that when I see horrible things attributed to him, I often learn later that are exaggerated, but are there politicians that aren't elevated on the narcissist scale?

If you are talking about the emergency and mask mandate, the supreme court did not say she overstepped her powers. They said the law from 1945 that she used was unconstitutional but she did in fact interpret the law correctly. 

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

If you are talking about the emergency and mask mandate, the supreme court did not say she overstepped her powers. They said the law from 1945 that she used was unconstitutional but she did in fact interpret the law correctly. 

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2020/10/12/gretchen-whitmer-emergency-orders-struck-down/5970811002/

https://www.foley.com/en/insights/publications/2020/10/michigan-supreme-court-limits-powers-governor

Later the legislature went and repealed the 1945 law, leaving us with at least the now more defined 1975 law.

Judging how inept Nessell has been as her AG, i'm willing to agree that Whitmer didn't have the intention of being a tyrant, but for the folks that were out of work due to her unlawful orders and weren't getting any unemployment because she couldn't properly administer that division, I understand why some may think differently.  Just as I understand those that question DeSantis as he chose to try and thread the needle of being a standout within the GOP, without going against Trump.

3 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2020/10/12/gretchen-whitmer-emergency-orders-struck-down/5970811002/

https://www.foley.com/en/insights/publications/2020/10/michigan-supreme-court-limits-powers-governor

Later the legislature went and repealed the 1945 law, leaving us with at least the now more defined 1975 law.

Judging how inept Nessell has been as her AG, i'm willing to agree that Whitmer didn't have the intention of being a tyrant, but for the folks that were out of work due to her unlawful orders and weren't getting any unemployment because she couldn't properly administer that division, I understand why some may think differently.  Just as I understand those that question DeSantis as he chose to try and thread the needle of being a standout within the GOP, without going against Trump.

It literally says in your first link the Supreme Court struck down the Emergency Powers of Governor Act of 1945. It did not say Whitmer overstepped her power like you stated. I understand that someone who has an axe to grind with Whitmer couldn't make that distinction. 

36 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

It literally says in your first link the Supreme Court struck down the Emergency Powers of Governor Act of 1945. It did not say Whitmer overstepped her power like you stated. I understand that someone who has an axe to grind with Whitmer couldn't make that distinction. 

In the much-anticipated Opinion, the Court held that:

1. Governor Whitmer did not have authority to issue or renew any executive orders related to the COVID-19 pandemic under the Emergency Management Act of 1976 (“EMA”) (MCL § 30.401, et seq.) after April 30, 2020 – the date through which the Legislature extended Governor Whitmer’s state-of-emergency and state-of-disaster declarations; and

2. Governor Whitmer did not possess authority to exercise emergency powers under the Emergency Powers of the Governor Act of 1945 (“EPGA”) because the EPGA unlawfully delegates legislative power to the executive branch in violation of the Michigan Constitution. 

You are correct, she only acted like a Tyrant with one of the laws.  To go a bit further and make a case against me, after that happened, she simply did nothing, nada, zilch, throwing her hands in the air and blaming the other side.  This is why, if she was running against Trump, I would vote for her, as I'd prefer someone that chooses not to lead at all, rather than one that tries to lead by any means necessary and continues to act like a Tyrant.  This is also why I will reluctantly vote for Biden as well.

2 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

You are correct, she only acted like a Tyrant with one of the laws.  To go a bit further and make a case against me, after that happened, she simply did nothing, nada, zilch, throwing her hands in the air and blaming the other side.  This is why, if she was running against Trump, I would vote for her, as I'd prefer someone that chooses not to lead at all, rather than one that tries to lead by any means necessary and continues to act like a Tyrant.  This is also why I will reluctantly vote for Biden as well.

So let me get this straight, she's a tyrant because she properly applied a law that had been on the books for 75 years. The law was ruled unconstitutional and not her actions, and now you're blaming her for not being a leader for not actually overstepping her authority? 

19 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

So let me get this straight, she's a tyrant because she properly applied a law that had been on the books for 75 years. The law was ruled unconstitutional and not her actions, and now you're blaming her for not being a leader for not actually overstepping her authority? 

She obviously didn't properly apply the law that has been on the books for 46 years though. 

Government is a system of checks and balances.  I had a canvasser for some MAGA crazy a month back who said if elected, the person she was touting would impeach Whitmer on day 1.  I asked for what.  She pointed the above out, which it should be obvious that I felt Whitmer overstepped.  But as I told her, MI Supreme Court checked her and solidified the law and the legislature went back to repeal a law that future gov's might be able to exploit, democrats and republicans alike.  The system worked.  If Whitmer tried to bypass the court, than I'd be all for impeachment.

That said, you, and i'm sure most on this board would fight tooth and nail to say Whitmer was perfect in everything related to Covid and the GOP killed everyone that died from it.  OK, maybe you would only say she was amazingly awesome but not perfect. Guess my point is one persons tyrant is another persons savior. 

In terms of a true tyrant, I personally think Trump stands alone on a podium.  That said, he's definitely brought some crazies up like Greene, Gaetz, Boebert.  I really despise folks like McConnell, Graham, and DeSantis that went along with the lie, but behind the scenes, i'd bet my left nut that they feel he is a disgrace to the country and are plotting for a GOP without him, whereas I doubt that's the case for the first ones I mentioned.

3 hours ago, Edman85 said:

I also dispute that he is smart. He is smarter than Trump. They are smart in their own way, but I wouldn't call them intelligent. He is more effective than Trump, but also has a huge legislative majority under his thumb.

I don't think he sounds "smart".  He just doesn't sound dumb which is a step up from Donald Trump who consistently sounds like a moron.  Most politicians do not sound very intellectual to me.  They do understand policy and law and know how to navigate our government bureacracy.  Trump is too lazy to do that.  

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

I don't think he sounds "smart".  He just doesn't sound dumb which is a step up from Donald Trump who consistently sounds like a moron.  Most politicians do not sound very intellectual to me.  They do understand policy and law and know how to navigate our government bureacracy.  Trump is too lazy to do that.  

Katie Porter. Very smart.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Back in the ‘60s and 70s there was a Rep and later Senator from Virginia, William Scott. The first elected Republican to the Senate from the state since Reconstruction. He was dubbed the Dumbest Person in Congress.

One story had it that during a security briefing on The Soviet Union he chided the briefing officer about talking about silos. “I don’t care about farms. I want to know about missiles”

He was a genus compared to some of the so called Conservatives running or holding office now 

Speaking from the vantage point of July 2022, I can’t imagine that, once DeSantis starts campaigning after receiving the ‘24 nom, he won’t trip up and lose people along the way. He’s not so airtight. His Florida record should also drive away moderates.