2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

2 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

My view is that DeSantis should go **** himself.  

Ditto.

And yet I'm hearing from multiple Republicans that they are getting on board with this guy as the replacement for Trump. I've also heard this question several times: "I know you HATE Trump... But.. What about DeSANTIS?!?!"

Anyone want to guess how I answered that?

1 minute ago, 1984Echoes said:

Ditto.

And yet I'm hearing from multiple Republicans that they are getting on board with this guy as the replacement for Trump. I've also heard this question several times: "I know you HATE Trump... But.. What about DeSANTIS?!?!"

Anyone want to guess how I answered that?

you said he was a fascist mother ****** douchebag moron?  

• Haha 1

PS: I wouldn't have called him a moron because he actually has a brain and knows what he's doing. That's the REALLY dangerous thing about DeSantis. EXTREMELY dangerous fascist.

And he's not a douche like Trump... although it may also apply here but... I think all fascists are scumbags so... in the ballpark?

40 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

PS: I wouldn't have called him a moron because he actually has a brain and knows what he's doing. That's the REALLY dangerous thing about DeSantis. EXTREMELY dangerous fascist.

And he's not a douche like Trump... although it may also apply here but... I think all fascists are scumbags so... in the ballpark?

We'd be much better off with DeSantis than we were with Trump.  He is much smarter than Trump though, and has shown a willingness to follow the crazies if it helps him.  So don't take that first statement as an endorsement.

6 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

We'd be much better off with DeSantis than we were with Trump.  He is much smarter than Trump though, and has shown a willingness to follow the crazies if it helps him.  So don't take that first statement as an endorsement.

If I had to choose between them, I would choose the devil I don't know.  I absolutely can not stand hearing or seeing Trump or watching his naive followers fawn over him.  Trump with a brain would be more dangerous though, so it could get worse.     

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

Yeah, that's one of the concerning things about DeSantis: he's actually smart.

40 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

It depends on what your definition is of "better off".

He is a much, much more dangerous fascist than TFG.

So, how is that better off?

One thing is that he wouldn't be easily duped by dictators of other countries.  He wouldn't make us the laughingstock of the world with his idiocy.  On the other hand, he could be more dangerous to our democracy as you say.   I don't know yet.  Would he alienate more than half the country by "owning the libs" or would he become more moderate as President than he is as governor of a red state?  

2 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

... Would he alienate more than half the country by "owning the libs" or would he become more moderate as President than he is as governor of a red state?  

Professors and College students are required to report their political leanings to the State.

That doesn't sound like a Democracy to me at all.

That sounds exactly, and I mean EXACTLY, like a Fascist Police State.

Trump is a wannabe Kim Jung Un. He wants to own everything (an entire country) and everyone is required to give him everything.

DeSantis is a straight up police state fascist.

I don't like where this country is headed.

1 minute ago, Tiger337 said:

There are oligarchs that are wealthy enough to buy the United States.  The question is do the oligarchs want a police state fascist? 

Oligarchs don't have as much power as they think.

Especially in a fascist police state...

Putin has proven that.

2 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Oligarchs don't have as much power as they think.

Especially in a fascist police state...

Putin has proven that.

Maybe the Russian oligarchs had no problem with Putin as he rose to power.   

Money is very powerful.  Almost everything this country does is for their benefit.  I don't see that changing.  Maybe they want a fascist police state.  I don't know.  

Might depend on the oligarch...

Some are staunchly against fascism.

But in Russia, Putin kills off those dissenting oligarchs so they better be in his back pocket and be licking his boots, or else...

DeSantis has already tried that in Florida. Punishing those against his politics and rewarding those who kiss his feet.

Are we turning into our own version of Russia?

Is that where oligarchic greed here is leading us to...?

I thought it was white trash bigotry that had us headed in that direction.

I can't believe there is a debate on if DeSantis or Trump would be worse for this country.  The argument that DeSantis is a smarter Trump thus worse for the country, in the words of Biden, "C'mon man".

With Trump, you get a 100% chance that he will try to find a way to stay in power or ensure Eric or Ivanka take over, legally be damned. He wasn't close to doing it last time, no matter how bad we all agree 1/6 was, but we're still just learning how close he was at breaking with the 'adults in the room' leading up to 1/6.  I doubt he makes the mistake of allowing any adults in the room next time.