2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

11 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

DeSantis is just the boring version of Trump.  

But they think that might get them the win.

For reasons others have posted above...

I don't think so. Trumpesque is not a winner (proven), just as Original Trump RecipeTM also is no longer a winner (proven).

Edited by 1984Echoes

9 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

But they think that might get them the win.

DeSantis could be seen as a boring version of Trump, but there may be aspects of his style/personality that also turn off the same sorts of voters that the GOP would need to win more share of in 2024.

I think that's the thing that kinda gets ignored in this conversation.... another candidate like DeSantis may not share the same flaws as Trump, but may present different flaws of their own that impede their chances of winning the Presidency. 

And that's the conundrum.... in theory, the primary process is supposed to help yield the best candidate. But while there's a need in this case to coalesce around one challenger because a bifurcated field probably just leads to Trump being nominated, you are gambling that the chosen challenger (ie. DeSantis) is the best overall challenger in a general election scenario. And I would put it out there that we really don't know that he is, or that he can win in 2024 when exposed further to the national spotlight.

Edited by mtutiger

57 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

An overall sentiment I see from the Bullwark folks is that if you want to beat Trump, you have to go at him.  Sitting back and hoping everyone forms around you isn't going to work.  

The second part of that is if you agree with this and you're going against Trump, do you try and out crazy him, or do you simply stand up to him?  I see no reason to believe anyone on the GOP side that would try and stand up to him without going the 'out crazy' route currently, but I just would think if someone consistently calls out Trump on the campaign trail and than laughs/mocks Trump's comebacks, it could change a lot of Trump diehards fast.

I was just reading the latest JVL piece talking about how DeSantis was taking a lot of the "grifter class" away from Trump. It's a bit like the old WWF script when the younger heel turns on the older star. The grifters follow the money.

The non mainline guys are actively being recruited. Would they turn their back on Trump if it costs them $$$? It's not about philosophy to these folks.

The other thing JVL noticed is Trump's tone this time around compared to 2016. Trump had energy seven years ago. His current rallies have been reminiscent of rock stars who keep touring long past their prime.  He's now been reduced to an angry old man who is basically a caricature of Trump2016.

Basically I tend to agree with Screwball, we probably won't see Trump or Biden as the nominee. The problem is I'm afraid of what we may end up with.

DeSantis is too whiny to get national appeal in my opinion.  He and Trump could say the same thing and when Trump says it, it sounds funny and cute.  Otherwise rational people can just say "Oh, you know how he is... he's not a professional speaker, that's just how he talks".  When Ron says it comes across as a guy complaining that his salmon was "too well done", not "a little well done" like he asked.

I also want to see him in a position where he's being asked tough questions and has to answer rather than controlled environments.

22 minutes ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

2024 is going to be fun

Likewise, I will fight these idiots.  So, right back at you 1776.   I would rename myself 1945, specifically May 8, 1945.   Side note: I think declaring someone is locked and loaded used to mean they were under the influence of some substance. 

• Like 1

I'm posting it here because Ron is the governor and this should be in every future campaign ad...

In Florida the FHSAA is requiring female student athletes to submit information about their periods.  When they had their first one, how long they last, etc.

Shit I don't even ask my wife about.  She just says "Not for a few days...."

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, oblong said:

I'm posting it here because Ron is the governor and this should be in every future campaign ad...

In Florida the FHSAA is requiring female student athletes to submit information about their periods.  When they had their first one, how long they last, etc.

Shit I don't even ask my wife about.  She just says "Not for a few days...."

What the holy F….

It’s the Goddamn Handmaid’s Tale coming to life. 🤬

• 2 weeks later...

I would love to be in these strategy rooms with these potential candidates.  I would like to think there is enough smarts behind the scenes in the party to realize there is no win option in 2024 and that the debate is run to help build momentum for 2028 or if you run against Trump, you risk alienating a certain percent of GOP that won't vote for you in 2028.

Sadly I suspect too many of these folks think they can win with this party and with Trump hanging around.