2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

I think Romad might appreciate this because we're around the same age, maybe a few others.

In the 1993-1997 era, this kind of thinking was so prevalent on talk radio which was reaching it's peak.  In Detroit we had Mark Scott pushing it.  Limbaugh didn't quite get that far but you didn't have to spin the dial far to come across it.  I dabbled in it a little but then you started to also see nazi stuff so I bolted.  They might not have been sitting in the same pews at the church but they didn't kick them out either.

FpBtFVWaIAEErT2.jpg

3 minutes ago, oblong said:

I think Romad might appreciate this because we're around the same age, maybe a few others.

In the 1993-1997 era, this kind of thinking was so prevalent on talk radio which was reaching it's peak.  In Detroit we had Mark Scott pushing it.  Limbaugh didn't quite get that far but you didn't have to spin the dial far to come across it.  I dabbled in it a little but then you started to also see nazi stuff so I bolted.  They might not have been sitting in the same pews at the church but they didn't kick them out either.

FpBtFVWaIAEErT2.jpg

Yeah, the weird people who didn't like H.W. Bush in the run up to that NH primary in 1992 freaked me out.  There were a lot of them and they were soooo passionate.  A lot of the talk focused on things like the Khazar Jews of central Asia who were apparently satanists and also that H.W. Bush didn't want to declare war on Vietnam to get our POW/MIA out.  

That latter item was brought home to me the other day by DIRECTV showing of the very excellent low-budget "Uncommon Valor" (Gene Hackman, Fred Ward, Randal "Tex" Cobb, Patrick Swayze, et.al., ) in which the plot revolves  around there being a number of POWs left in SE Asia that had to be found and recovered.   I loved the movie but the politics of that film were troglodyte in the extreme. 

10 hours ago, chasfh said:

I find it interesting how they are going to kill off Social Security just as I am approaching the age to be able to take it. 😏

"They're coming for your social security money.  They want your fucking retirement money.  They want it back, so they can give it to their criminal friends on Wall Street."

• Like 1

“And you know something, they’ll get it… they’ll get it ALL from you sooner or later… because they own this fucking place! It’s a BIG CLUB…and YOU AIN’T IN IT! You and I are NOT in the BIG CLUB! By the way, it’s the same big club they use to beat you over the head with all day long when they tell you what to believe.”

• 2 weeks later...

From JVL in today's Bullwerk...

If Ron DeSantis’s governorship has been good for Florida, then why didn’t Jeb pass a “Don’t Say Gay” bill when he was governor? Why didn’t Jeb take over the New College of Florida to push a conservative agenda? Why didn’t Jeb offer a bill to outlaw the teaching of “theories” in undergraduate courses? Why didn’t Jeb spend taxpayer money to ship refugees to Martha’s Vineyard? Why didn’t Jeb move to take away Disney’s special zoning arrangement? Why didn’t Jeb appoint a vaccine skeptic as his state surgeon general?

After all, if these are good policies for the people of Florida, Governor Bush had the opportunity to enact them himself. Why didn’t he?

Jeb's governorship was so radically different from DeSantis’s that there are only really three possibilities here:

(a) Jeb contemporaneously viewed his own record in office as a failure.

(b) Jeb once viewed his record as successful, but has since repudiated that view of his policies.

Or 

(c) Jeb does not actually mean it when he now says he believes that DeSantis is a good governor who has made Florida a model for the rest of the country.

I was going to suggest that the answer to that was "He didn't have the extreme legislative majorities DeSantis does."

But he did.

Either way, Ronny D won't have 70-80% majorities in either house of Congress if he wins. Good luck railroading congress like he does the Florida Legislature.