2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

I lived in Florida and worked at Disney World and hated both. Desantis has made me feel sympathetic to a company I despise. 

I have never been to Disney, but it does not sound like a place I would ever have enjoyed past the age of about five.  It is incredibly popular though, even for adults.  

Edited by Tiger337

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

I have never been to Disney, but it does not sound like a place I would ever have enjoyed past the age of about five.  It is incredibly popular though, even for adults.  

I've heard their on property hotels are nice. I wasn't impressed with their timeshare property in Hilton Head however. I'm not sure it's comparable 

FWIW...economic impact Disney brings to Florid

A  2019 study found Disney dominates the Central Florida tourism industry, according to Oxford Economics, and produced:   

• $75.2 billion annual economic impact for Central Florida. 

• 463,000 jobs.  

• $5.8 billion in additional state tax revenue. 

The sales tax collected just on the 58 million Disney World tickets sold in 2018 was $409 million. That’s more than what the state will spend this year on school construction and maintenance or the entire Department of Elder Affairs budget.

https://www.tallahassee.com/story/news/politics/2021/10/14/walt-disney-world-remains-florida-biggest-political-power-50-years-later/5919720001/?utm_source=substack&utm_medium=email

1 hour ago, CMRivdogs said:

Interesting thread considering the source. I find it interesting that one time so called Conservatives were in favor of the free market as well as corporate rights until they disagree with them for whatever reason.

Eric, what's good for the goose

What exact agenda offends them?  Who is harmed by whatever it was that Disney did.  Be nice to LGBTQ.  that's their beef.  Remember that.

I wish we had some smart right wingers around to explain to me the problem because I know I'm now biased the other way but I'm open to being told I'm wrong and there's something I'm not considering.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

Interesting thread considering the source. I find it interesting that one time so called Conservatives were in favor of the free market as well as corporate rights until they disagree with them for whatever reason.

Eric, what's good for the goose

Eric apparently never met nor hear of the Koch Bros, or Exxon Mobil, or RJR, or the Telecom industry, or Trial lawyers, or the AMA, or the Health Insurance industry, or ADM, or the Auto Industry, or ............

Of course there is an answer to his concern - it's called public campaign financing. What do you say Eric?

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, oblong said:

What exact agenda offends them?  Who is harmed by whatever it was that Disney did.  Be nice to LGBTQ.  that's their beef.  Remember that.

I wish we had some smart right wingers around to explain to me the problem because I know I'm now biased the other way but I'm open to being told I'm wrong and there's something I'm not considering.

I don't think there is any smart way to support conservative cultural crap.  There might be ways to talk intelligently about financial/economic stuff, but I don't think Disney is about that.

There's some smoke here. A little timeline from what I remember.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11885589/Ron-DeSantis-donor-killed-amid-accusations-sexual-misconduct-underage-girl.html

Earlier that week, a local agitator got into it with the Republican Mayor of Jacksonville on Twitter. Mayor Curry is known for his late night drunken angry tweets (aren't we all), and I retweet a screenshot if it for posterity. Basically, the agitator was hinting that Stermon had recently lost his unfettered access to the Sherrif's office, and Curry was quick to go out of line and call Stermon a friend while telling the reporter to "Pound Sand Chump."

After I retweet it, I get a  text from a coworker who saw that exchange and says he knows Stermon, used to live down the street from him. He's a creep, didn't trust his daughter around him. Also, he was Facebook friends with him and he had become unhinged, some long ranting posts asking DeSantis for help. Two days later, a few hours before the media reported it, the coworker informed me about Stermon's suicide. Something's up. I don't believe this is a murder cover-up situation. Post offices likely have surveillance.

Stermon was more than a donor, as the article details.

Edited by Edman85

5 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

LOL - You can't beat something with nothing, and outside of Trumpism, the GOP's got nothing to offer. DeSantis is trying to do Trump Lite when Trumps biggest appeal to his fans is exactly how unLite he is. 

Trumpism without the Trump is just fascism without the fun.

Edited by chasfh
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I watched a small bit of RFK's announcement and is his voice always that horse? Maybe he has covid?

He does have some kind of condition where it’s like that.  Don’t know if it was cancer or whatever. But that is how he talks.