2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

2 hours ago, oblong said:

I don't care what your politics are.... you need some element of charm and charisma.

I met **** DeVos in 2002, he was running for Gov against Jenny.  I was going to vote for him.  The guy looked "through" me as if I wasn't there.  There was no connection at all during our brief 20 second encounter.  Like a person on drugs you run into at the gas station as they are buying more scratch offs.

I was an intern for Joe Knollenberg in the early 90s.  He acted like I owed him money.  I moved along after that without much concern for his future. 

4 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

Unless it's OUR AGENDA and you're damned right we're going to shove it down their throats.

Cause "Merica

Honestly it's a good question, but is the response to COVID (which Fauci is a proxy for) actually as unpopular among the general population as these people make it sound?

The polls don't show it, my interactions in a 50/50 county in a red state don't show it all that much. It just seems like bait for the base

Edited by mtutiger

On 4/20/2023 at 9:22 PM, Tiger337 said:

Who is going to be Trump's evangelical straight man VP if he wins?  

The speculation around MTG or Kari Lake or Kristi Noem, I don’t see how Trump chooses any of them because they all have their own heat, and that attracts heat away from Trump, and no way Trump allows that to happen. He might fantasize about them as VPILFs, but that’s probably as far as that will go.

I think it’s going to be Nikki Haley. She’s fully on board with the MAGA fascism, but she’s also relatively quiet and demure, even attractish in a somewhat exotic way, yet still very accessible to unworldly MAGA voters, and of course she ticks the woman and minority boxes. The only minus on her card is that she’s a known flip-flopper, which could endanger her MAGA credentials, but there is no perfect good-looking woman VP candidate, at least at this point anyway. So unless someone new comes onto the national scene, which could certainly happen in the next year-plus, I think it’s gonna be her.

Edited by chasfh

A super PAC formed to boost Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis’s presidential bid said it will chip in to help Donald Trump move to California — after the ex-president ripped his home state in a series of attacks.

“Donald Trump has so deeply disparaged the state of Florida by calling it the ‘worst state,’ we … will help him leave by offering financial assistance to help him move to his beloved California,” Chris Jankowski, CEO of the Never Back Down PAC, said Saturday in a tongue-in-cheek statement.

There, Jankowski added, Trump “can be close to his good buddy Gavin Newsom, whom he loves so intensely and gets along with so well.”

Trump took heat from conservatives last week when he praised the far-left California governor for being “very nice to me” during his presidency.

Trump trying to run a "Democrat" campaign during the QOP primary season. 
(except for all that stolen thing)

https://nypost.com/2023/04/22/pro-desantis-pac-will-help-trump-move-from-florida-to-california/

20 minutes ago, pfife said:

That dude is a total pud.

I blame the media.   It's ridiculous that this toolbox is constantly fellated while being completely useless... meanwhile Big Gretch is kicking ass and the media is absent.

I do think Trump is (still) undersold as a commodity by the class of Republican who wants to channel Trumpism without actual Trump on the ballot, but what really seems like groupthink to me is how this guy is basically seen as the "default" other option. It's either Trump or DeSantis, no other options. 

I know he's Governor of Florida and had a resounding victory in an otherwise disappointing year for the GOP (Florida is a bit of an outlier state anyway, but we'll set that aside for the moment). I totally get how he looks good on paper. But what exactly has DeSantis done or how has he earned the benefit of the doubt as the heir apparent, especially when you see how the guy actually acts in the wild?

19 minutes ago, pfife said:

That dude is a total pud.

I blame the media.   It's ridiculous that this toolbox is constantly fellated while being completely useless... meanwhile Big Gretch is kicking ass and the media is absent.

I'm clearly not paying attention to the same media as you.  DeSantis absolutely was the golden child of the GOP for awhile there, but he's gone full social conservative and that's dulled his luster.  I think the GOP troll base likes his Disney war, but your fiscally conservative folks, that want Trump but without the mess and thought DeSantis was that answer, were put off.  Add in this recent abortion bill and I haven't heard anything good about DeSantis for awhile.

For Whitmer, the best thing for her might not to have a bunch of attention early.  Right now conservatives would love to point out the similarities of Trump and his potentially illegal payments to Stormy Daniels to Whitmer and her potentially illegal payments to Maroun and friends.  

9 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

I'm clearly not paying attention to the same media as you.  DeSantis absolutely was the golden child of the GOP for awhile there, but he's gone full social conservative and that's dulled his luster.  I think the GOP troll base likes his Disney war, but your fiscally conservative folks, that want Trump but without the mess and thought DeSantis was that answer, were put off.  Add in this recent abortion bill and I haven't heard anything good about DeSantis for awhile.

For Whitmer, the best thing for her might not to have a bunch of attention early.  Right now conservatives would love to point out the similarities of Trump and his potentially illegal payments to Stormy Daniels to Whitmer and her potentially illegal payments to Maroun and friends.  

What makes Trump appealing to fiscal conservatives?  He hasn't been fiscally conservative his whole life.  He has always been in massive debt (the king of debt) and then he added hugely to the national debt as President.  He also imposed big tariffs and then bailed out corporate farmers when the tariffs failed.   

6 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

But what exactly has DeSantis done or how has he earned the benefit of the doubt as the heir apparent, especially when you see how the guy actually acts in the wild?

MTU, you have to understand none of that matters anyway. For most of America, but esp the GOP, politics, which was only ever loosely tied to policy in the US anyway is now completely umooored from it. And TBH, we pretty much have a policy ignorant population anyway. So it's all about the snake oil. It's all personality, entertainment and tribal identity now. The only role of policy is as subject matter to hang rhetoric on in order to create the public persona. Trump could take any position on any policy but as long as he talks about it in terms of white greivance and owning the libs and makes it all about him, it would still sell to his supporters equally well. You have a whole generation of GOP Congressional leadership who have built their popularity without having accomplishing anything at all policy wise or legislatively (MTG/Bobert/Jordan McCarthy etc). 

US politics, esp on the right, has to be observed through the lens of the WWE. That's the model.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

What makes Trump appealing to fiscal conservatives?  He hasn't been fiscally conservative his whole life.  He has always been in massive debt (the king of debt) and then he added hugely to the national debt as President.  He also imposed big tariffs and then bailed out corporate farmers when the tariffs failed.   

The economic policies themselves is what they appeal to.  They find ways to justify the debt.  Everyone is power some how figures out how to do that now.  A new norm.