2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

I saw Kennedy Jr speak for the first time yesterday (interview on CNN) and I was surprised to learn that he's a terrible speaker. He has a bad voice and isn't very glib.   That won't help him.  

He had some condition or disorder that makes his voice like that.  I don’t remember what it’s called.  I don’t care enough about him to look it up. But it’s due to a specific thing. 

2 hours ago, oblong said:

He had some condition or disorder that makes his voice like that.  I don’t remember what it’s called.  I don’t care enough about him to look it up. But it’s due to a specific thing. 

I just looked it up.  He has Addison's Disease.  Interestingly, JFK had it too, although it may not have progressed so much before his life ended.  

5 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I just looked it up.  He has Addison's Disease.  Interestingly, JFK had it too, although it may not have progressed so much before his life ended.  

Oh wow. I didn’t know that and I would have remembered because of jfk. One side effect of that is false sense of invincibility and… sex drive. He had a quack doctor injecting him with who knows what. RFK expressed comcern as it was off the books and he said “I don’t care if it’s horse piss. It works”. That was for his back issues too. 

Bailouts won’t prevent a financial crisis

With the bailout-buyout of First Republic by JP Morgan over the weekend, the prospect of a general banking crisis is being taken more seriously by the markets.

Earlier this week there were sell-offs in multiple bank stocks. PacWest tanked 42%; Western Alliance plunged 27%; and Metropolitan Bank fell 20%. Comerica and Zion Bancorp followed the pack, both down nearly 10%. The KBW regional banking index, which tracks smaller regional banks, fell 7%. Markets are finally waking up to the fact that a large portion of the banking system is potentially insolvent — around half of it, by some measures.

Credit standards are now tightening rapidly, meaning that lending to the real economy will soon seize up.

At this point, unemployment should start to creep up as layoffs start in the construction sector. A recession should follow in short order — likely accompanied by a full-blown crisis.

https://unherd.com/thepost/bailouts-wont-prevent-a-financial-crisis/

Republican's are finally bringing ideas to the table.  With Biden not doing anything about inflation outside of letting the Fed use their only tool, which adds to short term inflation, the republicans step up.  This is what is good about a two party system.  

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/white-house-economists-warns-of-recession-as-debt-ceiling-fight-drags-on

cost more than 8 million jobs in the third quarter of 2023

oh vey.

The Republicans had their golden opportuntity to lower the debt when they controlled the Presidency and both houses iof Congress for two years.  They failed, because they are no more interested in reducing the debt than Democrarts.  

Edited by Tiger337
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

With Biden not doing anything about inflation outside of letting the Fed use their only tool,

The admin has no direct control over what the Fed does other than sparing with them rhetorically in public, which ususally has marginal effect at best. Deficit spending has some effect on inflation - not as much as what the fed does - but the big fiscal (non FED) driver for this inflation was the money the Congress doled out for Covid and that is now all over. The infrastructure spending is inflationary, it's also pretty vital as the country is falling apart. Thus the answer to that conundrum is that the deficit needs to be closed on the revenue side today far more than on the spending side. There is no such thing a modern society on the cheap. The GOP always knows that when they are in power, but they have the public bamboozled enough to keep using the arg when they are out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

The admin has no direct control over what the Fed does other than sparing with them rhetorically in public, which ususally has marginal effect at best. Deficit spending has some effect on inflation - not as much as what the fed does - but the big fiscal (non FED) driver for this inflation was the money the Congress doled out for Covid and that is now all over. The infrastructure spending is inflationary, it's also pretty vital as the country is falling apart. Thus the answer to that conundrum is that the deficit needs to be closed on the revenue side today far more than on the spending side. There is no such thing a modern society on the cheap. The GOP always knows that when they are in power, but they have the public bamboozled enough to keep using the arg when they are out.

I understand the administration has no direct control over the Fed.  But Biden's economic plan appears to be to let the Fed be the main driver in stopping inflation.  The only tool the Fed has in doing that is increasing interest rates which puts strain on the economy and costs jobs and lower wages.  Record low unemployment appears to be the reason why the Biden administration is good with that, but i'm not sold that's the best plan for low and middle income folks.

https://www.epi.org/blog/corporate-profits-have-contributed-disproportionately-to-inflation-how-should-policymakers-respond/

Considering we've known for some time that record company profit is a significant portion of our inflation numbers, it's almost like maybe that would be a selling point to have a democratic administration rather than a GOP administration that likely would simply say 'the market will straighten it out' and let the Fed hurt poor and middle income families.