2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

17 minutes ago, smr-nj said:

No lie, I’ll be talking to my friends/associates whom I know lean Dem, and if I hear any of them talking about staying home, I’ll be knocking on the door with a pizza and a beer and I’ll drive them there.  And if the pizza doesn’t work, I’ll make ‘em an offer they wouldn’t / couldn’t / shouldn’t refuse. 😎

What you need to do is bus them to Pennsylvania to vote. 

9 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

If inflation doesn't come down enough and we get a worse than expected recession, Biden will be blamed for it and he could be in trouble.  They won't stay home because he's too old though.  Educated women and young people hate Trump like no candidate ever.  

Not staying home will be one key. Not pointlessly throwing away their vote on a doomed third-party candidate will be another.

Edited by chasfh

9 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

If inflation doesn't come down enough and we get a worse than expected recession, Biden will be blamed for it and he could be in trouble.  They won't stay home because he's too old though.  Educated women and young people hate Trump like no candidate ever.  

I think this is right... 

The reality, and something that the media doesn't seem to get even after the surprise of the 2022 Midterms, is that a portion of Biden's disapproval being about his age makes that a soft disapproval and doesn't automatically mean those folks are voting Republican.

I know a few folks personally who fall into this category - they will be racing to the ballot box to vote against Trump next time around. Biden's age just isn't a factor 

45 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I know a few folks personally who fall into this category - they will be racing to the ballot box to vote against Trump next time around. Biden's age just isn't a factor 

I will hate voting for Biden much more than I did last time, especially every time I see Harris mess up some staged event.  But that won't keep me from showing up early to do it should the opponent be Trump or anyone that has been Trumpy.

Others have made this point, but, yes, Biden's age in a vacuum might be a detriment; but when you get down to the binary choice and compare him to Trump and the MAGA craziness, his age will become an asset. Do you want constant chaos? Or a boring old man? We made the right choice in 2020; I pray we do again.

• Like 2

If one were to take an honest look at Trump's BMI one would realize that the former loudmouth who lost is probably older physically and psychology than the incumbent. One does not age well on chain cheeseburgers and burnt streaks. When was the last time he actually had a salad?

I'll gladly take my chances the guy who can still pedal several miles over a golf cart riding fool. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ewsieg said:

I will hate voting for Biden much more than I did last time, especially every time I see Harris mess up some staged event.  But that won't keep me from showing up early to do it should the opponent be Trump or anyone that has been Trumpy.

Harris doesn't seem to have grown much in the job. I would have thought that after the high profile Biden had in Obama's presidency that Biden would pay it forward and make sure his VP had a chance to earn some stripes, but it doesn't seem to be happening. Maybe she and Biden just don't hit it off or they decided they really don't trust her with a bigger portfolio, but obvously the biggest thing an 80 yr old presidential candidate can do is have a strong VP on the ticket and the preception at this point is that Joe does not. If he really doesn't trust her I hope for all our sake's he dumps her. Somebody give him Gretch's phone #. (I think he'd have to replace her with another woman)

Edited by gehringer_2

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Harris doesn't seem to have grown much in the job. I would have thought that after the high profile Biden had in Obama's presidency that Biden would pay it forward and make sure his VP had a chance to earn some stripes, but it doesn't seem to be happening. Maybe she and Biden just don't hit it off or they decided they really don't trust her with a bigger portfolio, but obvously the biggest thing an 80 yr old presidential candidate can do is have a strong VP on the ticket and the preception at this point is that Joe does not. If he really doesn't trust her I hope for all our sake's he dumps her. Somebody give him Gretch's phone #. (I think he'd have to replace her with another woman)

It's cynical, but his age (and the fact that she would be a chief rival in a theoretical contested primary) and  how she has been used the past couple of years makes some sense.... wouldn't surprise me now that Biden has declared and more or less cleared the field of any viable challengers if they give her more to do.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oblong said:

I know I said earlier to not write off DeSantis just yet but I can also forsee him becoming a future punchline for annointed nominees that flamed out.  Every cycle seems to o have one.

That little head-bob clip is going to be his 'Dukakis looking stupid in a Tank Helmet' moment.

• Like 1

The only tolerable Republican who has been mentioned as a possible presidential candidate is Governor Sununu of NH.  He is very middle of the road.  His state also handled Covid about as well as any state.  They were pretty strict and had low incidence and death rates despite bordering Massachusetts which was ravaged by Covid. 

I also loved his line about Trump: "He is not crazy enough where he would be sent to a mental institution, but if he gets in there, he's not getting out."

On the negative side, NH has some of the most lenient gun laws in the country.   

10 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

The only tolerable Republican who has been mentioned as a possible presidential candidate is Governor Sununu of NH.  He is very middle of the road.  His state also handled Covid about as well as any state.  They were pretty strict and had low incidence and death rates despite bordering Massachusetts which was ravaged by Covid. 

I also loved his line about Trump: "He is not crazy enough where he would be sent to a mental institution, but if he gets in there, he's not getting out."

On the negative side, NH has some of the most lenient gun laws in the country.   

Sununu said on Maher that he will vote for Trump again in 2024. That plus guns, so he’s still one of them.

11 hours ago, Edman85 said:

So... Asa Hutchinson declared. Outspoken against January 6th nuts, and said he regretted joining the right wing COVID policy bregade in 2021. So he's not all bad.

I actually like Asa Hutchinson, he'd be the most acceptable GOP candidate (even above Sununu), but unfortunately his brand of conservatism isn't going to fly with today's GOP primary voter.

Robert F. Kennedy Jr., who announced last week, this week hit 19% support among Democratic voters. That’s a lot! Especially for a guy who’s been labeled a bit of a nut.

watch a third-party bid. The centrist group No Labels says it’s provisionally attempting to get on the ballot in all 50 states. We’ll see how that works. But a third party, if it comes, could have real and surprising power in this cycle. I am the only person I know who thinks this but, again, look at people’s faces when you say it will be Trump or Biden.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/biden-vs-trump-dont-be-so-sure-rfk-third-party-rematch-2024-election-independents-bea741f2

9 hours ago, chasfh said:

Sununu said on Maher that he will vote for Trump again in 2024. That plus guns, so he’s still one of them.

IIRC, he refused to say that he would vote for Trump, but said he would support the 2024 nominee, whoever it is.  When pressed that it means he could support Trump, he said Trump will not be the nominee.  Bull**** response still.  He's trying to play the Never Trump line without alienating that group.  

Asa and Larry Hogan are about the only republicans that I could possibly vote for if the opponent is Biden/Harris.  My never Trumpness is still high though, so not sure I see a path for them with me at least.