2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

US Leading Economic Indicators Tumble For 12th Straight Month, Signal Recession Imminent

The Conference Board's Leading Economic Indicators (LEI) accelerated its decline in March, dropping 1.2% MoM (far more than the 0.7% decline expected).

The Conference Board forecasts that economic weakness will intensify and spread more widely throughout the US economy over the coming months, leading to a recession starting in mid-2023

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/us-leading-economic-indicators-tumble-12th-straight-month-signal-recession-imminent

Just in time for the ramp up for elections 

22 minutes ago, pfife said:

Conference board link doesn't say what zerohedge link says

The most recent recession probability estimates, based on our probability model, remain near 99 percent pointing to the likelihood of a recession in the US within the next 12 months.

We continue to forecast that GDP growth to contract for three consecutive quarters starting in Q2 2023

https://www.conference-board.org/research/economy-strategy-finance-charts/CoW-Recession-Probability

Edited by digitalpigsmuggler

3 hours ago, oblong said:

My overall point is that it's early and we don't know who will or won't prevail.  I have memories of Presidents Gary Hart, Mario Cuomo, Guiliani, etc.   

And I get that. Predictions are often wrong and I've been wrong before.

But in order for DeSantis (or any of the challengers) to have a path in this field, there will have to be some sort of black swan event that changes the political landscape IMO.

Obviously events will happen between then and now, but I'm really unclear what event, outside of Trump's death, would actually alter the state of the race... his grip on the base of the GOP primary electorate is strong, he continues to command 40-50+% of the base, and there really hasn't been much to-date that has shaken that grip over the last 5-6 yeats.

So again, even setting aside DeSantis' weaknesses as a candidate, fundamentally it's not easy to see the case for his status in the race or his path to the nomination at this point. Other than the fact that GOP insiders who wish to capitalize on Trump's strengths without having to run Trump in a general election seem to think DeSantis is a good avatar for that.

Edited by mtutiger

1 hour ago, digitalpigsmuggler said:

The most recent recession probability estimates, based on our probability model, remain near 99 percent pointing to the likelihood of a recession in the US within the next 12 months.

We continue to forecast that GDP growth to contract for three consecutive quarters starting in Q2 2023

https://www.conference-board.org/research/economy-strategy-finance-charts/CoW-Recession-Probability

Oh you said trust the data 

You didn't say trust the model 

1 hour ago, pfife said:

You also said trust the data and literally argued we should trust the source in the same post when really you want us to trust a sources model

The economy is going to tank and it's going to hurt Democrats.

I never said trust the data. I said they are one of the best sources for information. Comprehension can be difficult for some folks.

The following portion was taken from the article.

7 minutes ago, digitalpigsmuggler said:

Comprehension can be difficult for some folks.

This statement is taking a shot at a person. 

Another member was given a two week suspension because they took a personal shot at YOU, and we needed to moderate.

This is a warning.

Argue people’s posts - ok. Cast aspersions on members- not OK.

Are we clear?

On the economy, there are a variety of opinions out there on what will happen in the next 18 months and what impacts that it may have. But I do note that, when you look at various polls, a lot of Americans actually have believed that we are already in recession and have priced in negative numbers for the President on the economy dating back into last year on account of inflation. And as far as I can tell, especially based on the massive letdown for the GOP that was the 2022 Midterm Election, it hasn't really helped the GOP all that much.

So anybody confidently predicting what a recession will or won't do in today's politics should probably humble themselves a lil' bit.

3 hours ago, mtutiger said:

On the economy, there are a variety of opinions out there on what will happen in the next 18 months and what impacts that it may have. But I do note that, when you look at various polls, a lot of Americans actually have believed that we are already in recession and have priced in negative numbers for the President on the economy dating back into last year on account of inflation. And as far as I can tell, especially based on the massive letdown for the GOP that was the 2022 Midterm Election, it hasn't really helped the GOP all that much.

So anybody confidently predicting what a recession will or won't do in today's politics should probably humble themselves a lil' bit.

there isn't much precedent in recent memory for a 'full-employment recession'

I don't care what your politics are.... you need some element of charm and charisma.

I met **** DeVos in 2002, he was running for Gov against Jenny.  I was going to vote for him.  The guy looked "through" me as if I wasn't there.  There was no connection at all during our brief 20 second encounter.  Like a person on drugs you run into at the gas station as they are buying more scratch offs.