2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

6 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

RFK Jr doing a lot of family name dropping in his speech. I was 16 when Bobby Sr ran. This kid is no RFK Sr.

It honestly raises a good question: if not for his last name, why would anybody even give a second of thought to anything RFK Jr. says?

2 hours ago, oblong said:

RFK Jr is the right's favorite son.  They were fawning all over him this morning on Fox News.

They're gearing him up to be a spoiler, coinciding with a potential Trump spoiler should DeShantis get the nom.

He’s the favorite son basically because they think Democrats are getting their nose out of joint over losing the Kennedys, or some such thing.

14 hours ago, oblong said:

I have a hard time watching Curb now knowing Cheryl Hines is/was married to that guy. 

So I heard her on JB Smoove's podcast a year or so ago, and she made some comment about her vaccine card. She she doesn't buy into his crap on that front.

12 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

I'm not sure how many people give a thought to him because of his name? A Kennedy hasn't been relevant in over 10 years. Only old Boomers know who his father was. 

I mean, he's getting more attention than a rando at the local tavern would be getting if they declared for the Dem nomination.... and that, along with the news headlines he has generated for years because of his comments on vaccines, is all thanks to his name.

It's all really funny to me because, dating back to 2016, a lot of folks (many of whom likely supported Trump) decried the fact that they disliked the influence of legacy families in American politics like the Bushes and Clintons, yet today many of these same people will come out and give RFK Jr. the Tulsi Gabbard treatment (ie. "she's a Democrat I could vote for")

10 hours ago, oblong said:

I’m not sure we should count desantis out for the nomination. 

Maybe you're right, but I also do not think we should assume that he's the only alternative option to Trump either.... because there is plenty of precedent for the anointed candidate who grabs media attention flaming out before the election year rolls around.

Really, I don't see any of them getting the nomination over Trump, I just don't see why DeSantis is being treated as being any more plausible than, say, Nikki Haley at this point.

34 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Joe was a real son of a bitch, wasn't he?  

I've told this story before so forgive me but I like it:

During the 1960 race MLK Jr was arrested.  He was put in jail and the campaigns took different approach.  Nixon didn't want to get involved because he felt it would look like pandering for votes, tried to be above board.  JFK wasn't sure either but RFK took the initiative and contacted Coretta King and showed support.  After that MLK Sr announced he wasn't planning on voting for JFK because he was Catholic but now he would.

JFK to an aide:  "So, Martin Luther King's father is a bigot eh?  Well we all have fathers don't we?"

3 minutes ago, oblong said:

I've told this story before so forgive me but I like it:

During the 1960 race MLK Jr was arrested.  He was put in jail and the campaigns took different approach.  Nixon didn't want to get involved because he felt it would look like pandering for votes, tried to be above board.  JFK wasn't sure either but RFK took the initiative and contacted Coretta King and showed support.  After that MLK Sr announced he wasn't planning on voting for JFK because he was Catholic but now he would.

JFK to an aide:  "So, Martin Luther King's father is a bigot eh?  Well we all have fathers don't we?"

UK intelligence services had a lot of damning information about Joe sr.  

6 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Maybe you're right, but I also do not think we should assume that he's the only alternative option to Trump either.... because there is plenty of precedent for the anointed candidate who grabs media attention flaming out before the election year rolls around.

Really, I don't see any of them getting the nomination over Trump, I just don't see why DeSantis is being treated as being any more plausible than, say, Nikki Haley at this point.

They kept talking about Rubio in 2015-2016 and he never got anywhere.  He just got humiliated by Trump and MAGAs loved it because they love seeing Trump humiliate people.  DeSantis seems the same to me.  

10 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

They kept talking about Rubio in 2015-2016 and he never got anywhere.  He just got humiliated by Trump and MAGAs loved it because they love seeing Trump humiliate people.  DeSantis seems the same to me.  

I distinctly remember one debate where Rubio took the gloves off and slapped Trump around.  It went nowhere obviously but he took one for the team.

22 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I mean, he's getting more attention than a rando at the local tavern would be getting if they declared for the Dem nomination.... and that, along with the news headlines he has generated for years because of his comments on vaccines, is all thanks to his name.

It's all really funny to me because, dating back to 2016, a lot of folks (many of whom likely supported Trump) decried the fact that they disliked the influence of legacy families in American politics like the Bushes and Clintons, yet today many of these same people will come out and give RFK Jr. the Tulsi Gabbard treatment (ie. "she's a Democrat I could vote for")

It seems like the people giving him the most attention are right wing media. He was just on Tucker. That's the last show you want to go on if you're serious about winning. I'm also not sure what treatment Tulsi got. She got smacked down in the primary and finally embraced her MAGA roots. 

17 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Scott Walker is the other one and is perhaps the better analogy.... absolutely hammered his opponent running for Governor of Wisconsin in 2014, had a ton of conservative cred because of how he governed, and absolutely fell apart on the big stage... didn't even make it into election year.

The only real difference is that Walker had a little more likability.... neither one was/is charismatic, but DeSantis lacks charisma while actually coming across repulsive in a way that I don't think would translate well in the kinds of places that a GOP Presidential candidate needs to improve in over Trump's performance in 2020.

Edited by mtutiger

14 minutes ago, oblong said:

I distinctly remember one debate where Rubio took the gloves off and slapped Trump around.  It went nowhere obviously but he took one for the team.

I remember that too. I wouldn't vote for him, but I don't hate him.  I compared him to DeSantis (who I can't stand) only because he is someone who was the presumed favorite but never got off the ground.    

Edited by Tiger337

I did like when Little Marco bitch slapped Ted Cruz during a debate. He is one of the lesser offensive ones in Florida when you consider the state offers Desantis, Gaetz, Trump, Luna, and Scott. The thing is, he's clearly a follower. He tried to start out as a serious candidate, then went the Trump route and to his credit brough us the small hands, but now he is back to being a Trump supporter. He just goes whichever the wind blows. 

31 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

My overall point is that it's early and we don't know who will or won't prevail.  I have memories of Presidents Gary Hart, Mario Cuomo, Guiliani, etc.   

16 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

It seems like the people giving him the most attention are right wing media.

I think this make sense. You have to remember to separate the money from the masses when you look at the operation of the RW in the US. At the grass roots there is plenty of actual embrace of racism and what is effectively fascism - though the true believers surely don't even understand the term.  But on the money end, it's still all about taxes and deregulation. The money people don't really like Trump, They know now that he brings too much risk and chaos. They don't really want to see everything come crashing down, they just want higher profits. Fox is run by Murdoch. An alternative to Trump that can win is at the top of his agenda right now. Of course he'll still take Trump's side if the alternative is a democrat with a corporate tax plan, but until then Fox will give GOP alternatives to Trump plenty of love. 

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, oblong said:

Wasn’t that the same debate that Rubio got “Christied” ?

For that campaign CC was Trump’s bulldog. I’d love to see him in the race if he was actually able to do that to both Trump and DeSantis. But we know in reality that CC is all hat and no action