2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

47 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

So after Trump wipes the floor with DeSantis in the early primaries, who are the GOP rump anti-trumpers going to throw in with?

Trump.

They'll justify it as "Biden's fine and harmless I guess but he's too old and President KAMALA is just too dangerous to think about so I have to vote for Trump".  They think that gives them the cover they need to renege on their promise.

1 hour ago, CMRivdogs said:

Last has exactly the correct term: "Serious People"

I think affluence has left us with too many millions in this country that span from the boomers right down to the millenials who have led such sheltered lives, whole lives so protected from consequences, who've had somebody else ffollowing behind them to clean up all the messes they have made in lives,  devoid of any need to actually consider that actions have outcomes, that they simple don't qualify as serious people. And they make bad voters.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Last has exactly the correct term: "Serious People"

I think affluence has left us with too many millions in this country that span from the boomers right down to the millenials who have led such sheltered lives, whole lives so protected from consequences, who've had somebody else ffollowing behind them to clean up all the messes they have made in lives,  devoid of any need to actually consider that actions have outcomes, that they simple don't qualify as serious people. And they make bad voters.

I agree with the consequences angle, and it’s possible that many of our neighbors are falling for the primrose promise of America First fascism because World War II is no longer in the living memory of anyone influential. If it were, the burning memory of it would still resonate with the majority of Americans. But it’s now almost 80 years on, close to a century, and nobody remembers Hitler in any real sense, so he seems like a harmless historical relic to far too many people, and even an attractive action figure to too many others. People aren’t seeing truly terrible things happen to anyone who looks like the still-prevalent power structure, which still looks like the majority of Americans.

If it’s not happening directly to us or Western Europeans, too many people ignore it as though it’s really happening. And then we see all this starting to develop, and we wonder how to stop it. There’s only one way to truly stop it: consequences.

Edited by chasfh

9 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I agree with the consequences angle, and it’s possible that many of our neighbors are falling for the primrose promise of America First fascism because World War II is no longer in the living memory of anyone influential. If it were, the burning memory of it would still resonate with the majority of Americans. But it’s now almost 80 years on, close to a century, and nobody remembers Hitler in any real sense, so he seems like a harmless historical relic to far too many people, and even an attractive action figure to too many others. People aren’t seeing truly terrible things happen to anyone who looks like the still-prevalent power structure, which still looks like the majority of Americans.

The passage of time is only a part of it - the geographic separation is also a factor as well. When we went on our honeymoon six years ago (over in Germany and Austria), even though the same 80 years have passed, the lessons of that war remained in the places we went. In the form of monuments (both in terms of literal monuments as well as infrastructure, such as concentration camps, that were operational during that time), scars (buildings that retain damage from that time or had to be rebuilt), and as well as the psyche of the population to this day. All of whom are taught a more visceral history of what happened in WWII and, at least in Germany and Austria, have had to accept their role in the war and that their leadership was on the wrong side of it.

Americans, including family members of people here on this board I'm sure, went and fought during the war, no question. But outside of Pearl Harbor, the war never really reached our shores and we had a level of separation from it on the mainland that Europeans, both Western and Eastern, never did. And my takeaway is that separation explains the level of memory loss that Americans in the macro have versus Europeans.

7 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

The passage of time is only a part of it - the geographic separation is also a factor as well. When we went on our honeymoon six years ago (over in Germany and Austria), even though the same 80 years have passed, the lessons of that war remained in the places we went. In the form of monuments (both in terms of literal monuments as well as infrastructure, such as concentration camps, that were operational during that time), scars (buildings that retain damage from that time or had to be rebuilt), and as well as the psyche of the population to this day. All of whom are taught a more visceral history of what happened in WWII and, at least in Germany and Austria, have had to accept their role in the war and that their leadership was on the wrong side of it.

Americans, including family members of people here on this board I'm sure, went and fought during the war, no question. But outside of Pearl Harbor, the war never really reached our shores and we had a level of separation from it on the mainland that Europeans, both Western and Eastern, never did. And my takeaway is that separation explains the level of memory loss that Americans in the macro have versus Europeans.

It's true that the fighting and the battles did not take place on American soil. By the same token, people in America lived under the specter that it would for almost four years, and also, their loved ones and neighbors constantly became casualties of the war overseas. And even for the home front folks, even without local bloodshed, every day there were constant unceasing reminders of the war that affected everyday life for them. They were part of the living memory we needed to keep it alive. Without that, and without the same kind of monuments they have in Germany, the American People forget, and then eventually never really learn. Once it all becomes history in a book or a grainy black-and-white film, it no longer seems real or affective to us.

Edited by chasfh

20 hours ago, oblong said:

Trump.

They'll justify it as "Biden's fine and harmless I guess but he's too old and President KAMALA is just too dangerous to think about so I have to vote for Trump".  They think that gives them the cover they need to renege on their promise.

Inflation and falling real wages falling should be the #1 issue for Republicans and take up 90% of the time anyone of them is speaking.

It is getting worse as well. If housing cost and grocery bills continue to soar, less people will care about what happens in Ukraine.

Edited by digitalpigsmuggler

24 minutes ago, digitalpigsmuggler said:

m9KDIZCgs30c.png

LOL - basic ignorance here. Ford divided the business and is making large investments on the 'e' side to build a sales capacity. You will lose money on your balance sheet when you are investing to build new capacity to make money later. Anyone who takes this as an indictment of weakness at Ford is ignorant of how you actually make money in the world. And notice that their legacy profits more than support their 'e' side investment level so they have maintained their overall financial health. This is economically ignorant trolling. I would note that investors don't seem to be much worried, overall F has pretty much tracked the S&P over the last couple of years.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Thanks 1

Not the most important detail, there's a lot going on in this clip... but it's hilarious how badly Trump botched the timeline given that DeSantis had already been elected Governor and was out of Congress during both impeachments

Maybe he's just getting senile and losing his fastball, I dunno... many people are saying lol

Edited by mtutiger

On 3/23/2023 at 11:37 AM, gehringer_2 said:

LOL - basic ignorance here. Ford divided the business and is making large investments on the 'e' side to build a sales capacity. You will lose money on your balance sheet when you are investing to build new capacity to make money later. Anyone who takes this as an indictment of weakness at Ford is ignorant of how you actually make money in the world. And notice that their legacy profits more than support their 'e' side investment level so they have maintained their overall financial health. This is economically ignorant trolling. I would note that investors don't seem to be much worried, overall F has pretty much tracked the S&P over the last couple of years.

How do we know pig diggler is not from Detroit...this kind of crap.

3 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Not the most important detail, there's a lot going on in this clip... but it's hilarious how badly Trump botched the timeline given that DeSantis had already been elected Governor and was out of Congress during both impeachments

Maybe he's just getting senile and losing his fastball, I dunno... many people are saying lol

it need not be tethered to obvious facts.