2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

On 5/20/2023 at 10:46 PM, oblong said:

... I think the GOP strategy among the other candidates is to knock off Desantis and hope some external factor keeps Trump out of the race and leave the rest for a Scott of Haley or Hutcheson to pick up the leftovers with Trump giving a half assed endorsement.  I think now the only path for a GOP win is to go for the middle and hope Trumpies stay home.  Too many Trump fans will not vote for another Republican politician. 

I am 100% certain that:

a) DeSantis would promise the GOP moderation behind closed doors.

b) The entire Republican Party would rally behind DeSantis if he got the nomination. Republican-leaning Independents: I have no clue. But the moderate/ establishment Republicans would believe his moderation promise and rally... IMO.

c) If Trump is the nominee, Republicans will lose badly in 2024. Definitely lose the White House; I think they'll lose downstream too. Honestly... I think McCarthy and Boebert and MTG are casting a dark shadow over Republicans House chances as well... but that's just my opinion. Republicans may have a chance at the Senate.. but with Trump, that could easily be threatened... I don't know by how much.

d) If Trump is NOT the nominee... I think he goes 3rd party and Republicans get completely wiped out.

I both want, and am terrified, of option (d).

6 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

I am 100% certain that:

a) DeSantis would promise the GOP moderation behind closed doors.

b) The entire Republican Party would rally behind DeSantis if he got the nomination. Republican-leaning Independents: I have no clue. But the moderate/ establishment Republicans would believe his moderation promise and rally... IMO.

c) If Trump is the nominee, Republicans will lose badly in 2024. Definitely lose the White House; I think they'll lose downstream too. Honestly... I think McCarthy and Boebert and MTG are casting a dark shadow over Republicans House chances as well... but that's just my opinion. Republicans may have a chance at the Senate.. but with Trump, that could easily be threatened... I don't know by how much.

d) If Trump is NOT the nominee... I think he goes 3rd party and Republicans get completely wiped out.

I both want, and am terrified, of option (d).

Seems like a good chance that they get Trump on the espionage act. 

One of my biggest fears is that the "No Labels" movement actually picks p steam

and they persuade someone like Manchin to be their candidate. Harlan Crow, the guy who owns Ginny and Clarence Thomas, is the biggest contributor to this farce.They know Trump can't win legally head to head so they run a third party. I

New Poll Revealing Biden's Approval Rating Leaves CNN Host Stunned: 'Lowest for Any American President'

A Washington Post/ABC News poll found that Biden is sinking in the polls, sounding alarms that he may not be able to recover from his disastrous decisions before the 2024 election. 

"Biden's overall approval rating remains underwater," Bolduan added. "That's the lowest for any American president at this point in their first term. That's dating back to Harry Truman."

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/saraharnold/2023/05/21/cnn-freaks-out-over-bidens-low-poll-numbers-lowest-for-any-american-president-n2623518

26 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

and they persuade someone like Manchin to be their candidate. Harlan Crow, the guy who owns Ginny and Clarence Thomas, is the biggest contributor to this farce.They know Trump can't win legally head to head so they run a third party. I

If there is ever going to be a viable 3rd party 2024 is the year.

31 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

Trammel Crow shows up in H.W. Bush's diaries as one of his friends from Texas.  You would have to think that anyone who was a friend of the Bush family would not support a path to Trump winning the white house. 

4 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Trammel Crow shows up in H.W. Bush's diaries as one of his friends from Texas.  You would have to think that anyone who was a friend of the Bush family would not support a path to Trump winning the white house. 

In a normal world maybe...

There's enough "black money" in No Labels" to raise questions. Plus remember, the only way Trump won in 2016 was thanks to help from the Green Party.

Edited by CMRivdogs

15 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

In a normal world maybe...

There's enough "black money" in No Labels" to raise questions. Plus remember, the only way Trump won in 2016 was thanks to help from the Green Party.

George P Bush trying to ingratiate himself to Trump was enough of a shock to know that people obsessed with power won't stop at supposed friendships. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, romad1 said:

George P Bush trying to ingratiate himself to Trump was enough of a shock to know that people obsessed with power won't stop at supposed friendships. 

Every family has its outliers. I feel I'm in the minority of mine, but we rarely discuss politics.

16 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

Every family has its outliers. I feel I'm in the minority of mine, but we rarely discuss politics.

I am definitely in the minority in mine, although I do have a fellow traveler in my youngest brother, which makes Thanksgiving a little easier.

9 minutes ago, Archie said:

Tim Scott announced he's running this morning. He's well funded and could get the support needed to make it through.  He could pull some democrat votes too but the racist democrats will be on the attack.

Like Trump?

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Washington Free Beacon: Historic Candidate: Tim Scott Would Be America's First Black President

GTFO! I was no Obama fan back in the day and trolled him hard. I was highly critical of his Administration, on a whole host of issues. But I never, ever denied he was the first black President we had.

I swear to god, when I clicked through to the article and saw the subhead, I thought it read, "People of color compromise two-thirds of GOP primary field". I had to re-read it a couple times to make sure I got it right.

Anyhow, two things about this:

• It was America itself—in fact, the ideological forebears of the Washington Free Beacon—that came up with the one-drop rule in order to segregate people with any African "blood" whatsoever from polite white society. So it doesn't matter whether Obama's mother was white or not. If you're even partly black, the people around you identify you as black. Not white, or half-white, or Halfrican, or anything else along those lines. You're black. Period.
  • I will bet you dollars to dimes that Tim Scott, whom the article acknowledges had ancestors who were brought to the United States as slaves, has at least a little cream in his coffee himself, basically because his ancestors were brought to the United States as slaves.
Edited by chasfh
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Washington Free Beacon: Historic Candidate: Tim Scott Would Be America's First Black President

GTFO! I was no Obama fan back in the day and trolled him hard. I was highly critical of his Administration, on a whole host of issues. But I never, ever denied he was the first black President we had.

I always considered Obama to be mixed race and more White because the person who gave birth to him was White.  However, he would have been considered Black in the days when Blacks were generally treated like animals.  For him to elected President by a significant margin was truely historic.  Tim Scott would be less historic, although certainly a huge upset given the Republican electorate.   

Just now, Tigeraholic1 said:

I lean hard right but Obama did a good job, I voted for him both terms. I mean, it is hard to find anything really radical or wild he did.

It was funny, but also I suppose the only was it could happen. It was Obama's existence where he was that was radical, but not much about the man was(is) - very conventional in his economic views (too much so for me!), almost had to be dragged along to get to LGBT rights.  But even without the man being any kind of radical, the backlash to his existence where he was laid bare an amount of race animosity and white panic that had been relatively suppressed for a few decades, and now fanned in to full fury by Trumpism, is further than ever from subsiding.

4 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

I lean hard right but Obama did a good job, I voted for him both terms. I mean, it is hard to find anything really radical or wild he did.

Thanks for noticing that.  It was assumed by many on the right that he would be a radical liberal, so they stuck with that story even when it turned out he did not behave radically at all.  I liked Obama more than most Presidents (not necessarily a ringing endorsement!) He didn't do anything extraordinary, but I thought he was a steadying influence which I think is an important presidential quality especially given that he was elected during the worst recession of our lifetimes.  

52 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Thanks for noticing that.  It was assumed by many on the right that he would be a radical liberal, so they stuck with that story even when it turned out he did not behave radically at all.  I liked Obama more than most Presidents (not necessarily a ringing endorsement!) He didn't do anything extraordinary, but I thought he was a steadying influence which I think is an important presidential quality especially given that he was elected during the worst recession of our lifetimes.  

I think you might have to put “the Affordable Care Act” in the extraordinary column.  It was, and is, a big deal.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, smr-nj said:

I think you might have to put “the Affordable Care Act” in the extraordinary column.  It was, and is, a big deal.

He also spearheaded the rescue of the economy after the Bush crash, passed Dodd-Frank, stopped Iran from nuclearizing, normalized relations with Cuba, improved America's image abroad dramatically, and, oh yeah, 86'ed bin Laden with extreme prejudice. And he did all of it without even a whiff of any scandal.

Obama was no joke.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, smr-nj said:

I always forget that..probably because we already had it in Massachusetts.  It shouldn't have been extraordinary, but given how conservative we are in the US, it was kind of a big deal to get anything done with healthcare at all.