2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

I like Hurd's entrance for only one reason, he says he will refuse to sign the pledge in case Trump wins.  Between him, Christie saying he'll sign it but honor it the same way Trump would, and Asa trying to add amendments which poke at Trump, more spotlight needs to be put on it to humiliate the GOP.

Honestly, it's hard to take anything the Republican Party does seriously, since it is dominated by unserious performance artists, and anyone within the party who purports to be a serious statesman or -woman is an utter non-factor. The party has evolved into a malignant force against which we and the country must be defended.

20 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Honestly, it's hard to take anything the Republican Party does seriously, since it is dominated by unserious performance artists, and anyone within the party who purports to be a serious statesman or -woman is an utter non-factor. The party has evolved into a malignant force against which we and the country must be defended.

My pie-in-the-sky hope is that the field can be so divided that it ends up being a reverse of 2016 and the sane candidate is able to be one of five and rack up delegates with 20% of the vote. Moderates from states with open primaries can do their part. I plan on registering with them early next year so I can try to strategically vote for the sanest one possible and maybe keep this party from running our country off a cliff.

7 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

My pie-in-the-sky hope is that the field can be so divided that it ends up being a reverse of 2016 and the sane candidate is able to be one of five and rack up delegates with 20% of the vote. Moderates from states with open primaries can do their part. I plan on registering with them early next year so I can try to strategically vote for the sanest one possible and maybe keep this party from running our country off a cliff.

Unenrolled voters can vote in either primary in Massachusetts and I intend to vote in the Republican primary for the candidate with the best chance of beating Trump and DeSantis.  

I'd do the same in MI.  If it's a close primary then I will register GOP.  

I think Biden's age will be a bigger issue this year and if not for that he'd win easily.   If they get another VP candidate his chances would improve but not sure Harris is that popular.

So despite the GOP's idiocy I won't rule out them winning the election.

3 hours ago, Edman85 said:

sadly I think there is zero probability of this. It's the crazies that tend to be the most monomaniacally committed. They will all stay with Trump while more secondary voices peel off slices of the remainder who are looking for less crazy voices. The thing is each voice will appeal to some of the sane because of the natural breadth of concerns of more normal people.  Thus the sane vote divides and the crazy vote congeals -- to Trump. You can book it.

28 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

sadly I think there is zero probability of this. It's the crazies that tend to be the most monomaniacally committed. They will all stay with Trump while more secondary voices peel off slices of the remainder who are looking for less crazy voices. The thing is each voice will appeal to some of the sane because of the natural breadth of concerns of more normal people.  Thus the sane vote divides and the crazy vote congeals -- to Trump. You can book it.

Crazies will be divided between Trump and Ronnie. If Dems are more worried about the health of our nation than winning elections (Yes, I know they are definitely not mutually exclusive now), they will load up in the Republican Primary and vote for the candidate in the sane lane.

1 hour ago, jz68 said:

Christie is going right at not only Trump, but his supporters.   I don't like the dude, but I love what he's doing.  

It won't matter.  Trump will just call him fatty and humiliate him and if that doesn't work he'll probably have someone come up was some dirt on him.  All he has to do is say that Christie is a child sex trafficker or something and his supporters will all believe him.

Maybe if a large number of high profile GOP leaders find some balls and go after him relently en masse, they might start peeling away some Trump voters at the fringes.  It can't be just one guy here and there.    

1 hour ago, Edman85 said:

Crazies will be divided between Trump and Ronnie. If Dems are more worried about the health of our nation than winning elections (Yes, I know they are definitely not mutually exclusive now), they will load up in the Republican Primary and vote for the candidate in the sane lane.

Good luck.

I don't see anyone taking the nomination from Trump other than the possbility of the Federal corrections department refusing him furloughs to campaign - and a lot of things have to break right to get there.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

It won't matter.  Trump will just call him fatty and humiliate him and if that doesn't work he'll probably have someone come up was some dirt on him.  All he has to do is say that Christie is a child sex trafficker or something and his supporters will all believe him.

Maybe if a large number of high profile GOP leaders find some balls and go after him relently en masse, they might start peeling away some Trump voters at the fringes.  It can't be just one guy here and there.    

All he does is project, so this tracks.

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

Good luck.

I don't see anyone taking the nomination from Trump other than the possbility of the Federal corrections department refusing him furloughs to campaign - and a lot of things have to break right to get there.

He doesn't even need to campaign.  His fans adore him unconditionally.    

11 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

He doesn't even need to campaign.  His fans adore him unconditionally.    

Every time he goes on Bret Baier or something, he’s campaigning, talking about all the stuff his base want to hear, and it’s just calcifying his position. He doesn’t have to talk about political stuff like the economy, except to say he had the greatest economy in the history of the world under his watch, and more than that’s good enough. His lizard-like charm is intoxicating to his people. He could expose himself to a Girl Scout troop on Fifth Avenue and he wouldn’t lose hardly any voters.

17 hours ago, chasfh said:

Illinois is in the bag for Democrats, so there's nothing I can do here.

16 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Same here in Massachusetts.  I am just going to do my part in saving America from Trump.  

This is the same attitude that put Trump in power. Hillary was way up in the polls so folks didn't bother voting. Even if you feel your state is "in the bag", we need everyone to get out and vote blue!

1 hour ago, Sports_Freak said:

This is the same attitude that put Trump in power. Hillary was way up in the polls so folks didn't bother voting. Even if you feel your state is "in the bag", we need everyone to get out and vote blue!

I did not personally contribute to putting Trump in power because I voted for Michelle Obama in 2016.

Running up the score nationally makes no difference. He will still not win Illinois. 

Edited by chasfh
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

I did not personally contribute to putting Trump in power because I voted for Michelle Obama in 2016.

Running up the score nationally makes no difference. He will still not win Illinois. 

May be true but my point stands. If everyone just assumes Trump will lose because of the polls, they may not get out and vote. We should never forget 2016....a national embarrassment.