2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

12 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

From what I've read is that Manchin or whomever the "No Labels" candidate is could receive enough of the voters who voted for Trump in 2016 and Biden in 2020 to swing the EC to Trump. Look at it as another Hillary/Trump election again. 

I don't think No Labels ends up running anyone, or even if they do, they drop out and endorse the Dem candidate.  I think initially it'll just be a push to try and stay towards the middle with the hope that the Dem candidate makes some promises for them.  I can't in a million years believe they will go into an election against Trump if it's obvious they are a spoiler.

2 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

I don't think No Labels ends up running anyone, or even if they do, they drop out and endorse the Dem candidate.  I think initially it'll just be a push to try and stay towards the middle with the hope that the Dem candidate makes some promises for them.  I can't in a million years believe they will go into an election against Trump if it's obvious they are a spoiler.

never underestimate the vanity of an American politician of any party.

• Like 2

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2023/07/24/how-gretchen-whitmer-made-michigan-a-democratic-stronghold

Nice write up on Whitmer, I wonder how much is going on in the background to get her ready to run in 2024 and how much this might be a part of it.  I think she gets too much credit for some of the things she's done in Michigan.  It's easier to manage when you come into a budget that is under control and then get fed money thrown at you.  That said, i'd take her over Biden, and definitely over Harris.  

46 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Would also probably means Manchin sees no route to re-election to the Senate - which is depressing for the Dems.

Is it? Because wasn't he more or less a functional Republican already? Not MAGA, of course—not yet, anyway—and not on every issue. But pretty close.

Manchin is a conservative Democrat, or what we used to call Blue Dogs. He's also a Big Business guy who used to run a coal company. And a life long politician who will talk out of both sides of his mouth to get re-elected.

Another 75 year old running for office. Exactly what this country needs.

1 minute ago, CMRivdogs said:

Have you actually looked at Manchin's voting record, seriously? He's from By God West Virginia. As MAGA as they get.

Well, per my link, he's with Biden roughly 90% of the time.  He's by far the biggest gap difference from any party with his state nearly +40 for GOP over Dems and yet democratic approved bills get 90% of his votes.  How dems are OK with writing him off in place for what would definitely be a MAGA GOP senator who would vote maybe 20% democratic approved bills is beyond me.

But yes, in true democratic form, unless you side with the party 100% of the time, you're against the party.  The dem party, a bastion for diverse views and thoughts.

9 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

Have you actually looked at Manchin's voting record, seriously? He's from By God West Virginia. As MAGA as they get.

How he votes on bills is not as important as that his vote keeps Schumer in place instead of McConnell, No comparison matters much beyond that one because that is what stands between us and effective control of Capitol Hill by the Freedom Caucus.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I would think so, but Greene is such a low IQ individual that it's possible she said it all that stuff together.  

Seemed spliced, which would make me a little sad, actually. I don't want to think the Biden people would stoop to something so crass. That's more the other side's brand.

I know, I know, they all suck. I'm just rooting for the people I prefer in office to suck a lot less.

5 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Seemed spliced, which would make me a little sad, actually. I don't want to think the Biden people would stoop to something so crass. That's more the other side's brand.

I know, I know, they all suck. I'm just rooting for the people I prefer in office to suck a lot less.

It was cheap, but Greene is so dumb I am not sure she even gets why they would splice it together that way.  She is not some slick politician pretending to be dumb to appease the anti-intellectual base.  She really is as dumb as she sounds.  

Edited by Tiger337

1 hour ago, VegasTiger said:

I think it was edited for length. I saw a complete version and she said all that stuff.

Yup. The first time I saw it the Biden campaign had put up a link to C-Span or some source with her whole commentary - then Lincoln project took it from there.

Edited by gehringer_2