2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

On 7/26/2023 at 9:45 PM, Tiger337 said:

Trump would have not called him regardless of party.  He would have tweeted something like: "I disagreed with him on everything and he was very bad for this country and he never thanked for everything I did.  I wish him well."  

“Mitch who? I don’t know who he is.”

The number one concern of voters stubbornly remains inflation and the economy. And despite the best efforts of the mainstream media to play down what everyone can clearly see going on in the nation’s streets, crime is the second highest concern for Americans today.

When asked how concerned they are about inflation, a stunning 91 percent said they were either very or somewhat concerned.

A 58 percent majority said that our current criminal justice system is “not tough enough”

https://hotair.com/jazz-shaw/2023/07/28/shocking-poll-crime-is-still-a-major-voter-concern-bidenomics-not-working-n567670

When asked how concerned they are about inflation, a stunning 91 percent said they were either very or somewhat concerned.

WASHINGTON (AP) — Signs that inflation pressures in the United States are steadily easing emerged Friday in reports that consumer prices rose in June at their slowest pace in more than two years and that wage growth cooled last quarter.

Together, the figures provided the latest signs that the Federal Reserve's drive to tame inflation may succeed without triggering a recession, an outcome known as a “soft landing.”

A price gauge closely monitored by the Fed rose just 3% in June from a year earlier. That was down from a 3.8% annual increase in May, though still above the Fed’s 2% inflation target. On a monthly basis, prices rose 0.2% from May to June, up slightly from 0.1% the previous month.

Sadly for the GOP, inflation will be yesterday's news by election time.

27 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

WASHINGTON (AP) — Signs that inflation pressures in the United States are steadily easing emerged Friday in reports that consumer prices rose in June at their slowest pace in more than two years and that wage growth cooled last quarter.

Together, the figures provided the latest signs that the Federal Reserve's drive to tame inflation may succeed without triggering a recession, an outcome known as a “soft landing.”

A price gauge closely monitored by the Fed rose just 3% in June from a year earlier. That was down from a 3.8% annual increase in May, though still above the Fed’s 2% inflation target. On a monthly basis, prices rose 0.2% from May to June, up slightly from 0.1% the previous month.

If the inflation trends keep going down AND people actually perceive that at the grocery store, gas station, going out to eat, buying a used car, and taking a vacation then it will be yesterday's news. If the numbers are low on inflation but gas prices are still somewhat high, voters may still think of inflation as being high. That said, even if voters were to perceive high inflation, the 2022 midterms showed us they don't want to give the MAGA crowd all the keys and they have reservations about doing so. Combine those reservations with voters feeling that inflation has cooled substantially and an electorate that is getting increasingly younger  going into 2024 and I think Democrats will be in fairly good shape.

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

It doesn't look like they will get their desired recession either.  

C-SPAN just played a clip of Slump yesterday doing a rally in Erie, PA.   The clip was him talking about whether he should participate in the debate in August. 

He basically argued... why would I get up there with a hostile network (Fox) and 12 hostile opponents at 0%?

Imagine thinking Fox is hostile to Trump.   Or that the other GOP candidates save Chris Christie, are hostile to Trump.   Maybe he thinks their testicular cupping used insufficient number of hands?

4 hours ago, pfife said:

C-SPAN just played a clip of Slump yesterday doing a rally in Erie, PA.   The clip was him talking about whether he should participate in the debate in August. 

He basically argued... why would I get up there with a hostile network (Fox) and 12 hostile opponents at 0%?

Imagine thinking Fox is hostile to Trump.   Or that the other GOP candidates save Chris Christie, are hostile to Trump.   Maybe he thinks their testicular cupping used insufficient number of hands?

Sounds like he is too scared to debate.  

• Like 1

On 7/30/2023 at 8:11 AM, pfife said:

Claiming hostility on the part of Fox is a pretty canny way to crack the whip on them to make them even Trumpier. After all, if Fox can't keep the red hats in tow, where do they go as a network? They're never going to go left or middle, and there is no longer any substantial moderate Republican base to cater to. Their only choice is tack harder right, and again, a browbeating by Trump and his flying monkeys is probably the surest way to get them to do that.

16 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Claiming hostility on the part of Fox is a pretty canny way to crack the whip on them to make them even Trumpier. After all, if Fox can't keep the red hats in tow, where do they go as a network? They're never going to go left or middle, and there is no longer any substantial moderate Republican base to cater to. Their only choice is tack harder right, and again, a browbeating by Trump and his flying monkeys is probably the surest way to get them to do that.

It the rift continues it will be interesting to see how it shakes out. I could believe the Fox viewers' attachment to Fox's world view, and thus the durability of their ratings. might well transcend Trump- in which case Fox may not feel the need to make up to Trump as a news network - and of course there would still be Trump supporters among the on-air staff even if they don't. The Fox News viewer could go vote for Trump and keep watching a less sympathetic to Trump Fox network just as reliably as ever. What's one more cognitive dissonance to add to the list?

6 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

It the rift continues it will be interesting to see how it shakes out. I could believe the Fox viewers' attachment to Fox's world view, and thus the durability of their ratings. might well transcend Trump- in which case Fox may not feel the need to make up to Trump as a news network - and of course there would still be Trump supporters among the on-air staff even if they don't. The Fox News viewer could go vote for Trump and keep watching a less sympathetic to Trump Fox network just as reliably as ever. What's one more cognitive dissonance to add to the list?

I don't think this is true—after all, Fox lost a boatload of viewers to its right flank just because they called a state during election coverage.

I think Fox has painted itself into the corner of, they can't afford to piss off its viewers by not properly fluffing Trump, because when they don't, Trump tells everyone about it and his minions fall all over themselves making a show of their support.

8 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I don't think this is true—after all, Fox lost a boatload of viewers to its right flank just because they called a state during election coverage.

I think Fox has painted itself into the corner of, they can't afford to piss off its viewers by not properly fluffing Trump, because when they don't, Trump tells everyone about it and his minions fall all over themselves making a show of their support.

I would not be surprised at all if you are correct, I just wonder because Fox has spent so many years honing their appeal to their particular market - they know it very well and their mutual attachment goes back far further than DJT. As long as Fox keeps using bouncy blondes to report to old white men about all their angst inducing issues, maybe viewers they lose on transient political anger end up filtering back anyway because it's still home culturally.

Edited by gehringer_2

27 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

@chasfh - some results from NYT/Sienna poll. Trump may be claiming Fox is hostile, but so far Fox nation is still absolutley with Trump.

What a depressing poll.  Not surprising though.  Most of my Republican friends (even those that dislike Trump) don't think he did anything terribly wrong.  They only thing that really concerns them is what he did to Pence.  

Edited by Tiger337

3 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

@chasfh - some results from NYT/Sienna poll. Trump may be claiming Fox is hostile, but so far Fox nation is still absolutley with Trump.

Oh, sure, a lot of those people who bailed on the Arizona call probably did come back. Fox is the 800-pounder. But I do also think Fox has learned its lesson from that episode, because it did cost them eyeballs for a while, which costs them ad revenue for a bit, and they don’t want a repeat of that.

Edited by chasfh

40 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Oh, sure, a lot of those people who bailed on the Arizona call probably did come back. Fox is the 800-pounder. But I do also think Fox has learned its lesson from that episode, because it did cost them eyeballs for a while, which costs them ad revenue for a bit, and they don’t want a repeat of that.

and then there is the whole Murdoch saga overlay. Rupert has repeatedly been reported to be "done" with Trump, but he seems to get pretty flexible when the bottom line is involved  (of course why a 90 yr old man still cares how much money he dies with seems beyond any logic). And at some point relatively soon he won't be running the show. Will Lachan be Continuity or has Cobb's team implanted Lachan with the idea he has to create a new and different thing?  

Edited by gehringer_2

Desantis is toast. The nomination is Trump's.

He can't lose the nomination and he can't win the election. The drama in 2024 will be over Congress, and whether Trump actually ends up convicted somewhere before the voting so we have the first Federal Election in history with a convicted felon on the ballot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1