2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

7 hours ago, pfife said:

Cornell West is running 3rd party/

Cornell West is apparently looking for some of that sweet MAGA cash or he's doing this for some other reason to elect Trump or whomever else in that otherwise unelectable alt-right lane.

On 6/5/2023 at 10:00 PM, Tiger337 said:

I think no empathy is now a requirement for a GOP candidate.  

I think this is only as much as half true. I think it’s possible a candidate can succeed without empathy, but I don’t think it’s possible a candidate can succeed by looking like they have no empathy.

2 hours ago, Crazy Cat Gentleman said:

ohhhhhhhhhhh-kaaaaayyyyyyyy

People wonder, in the face of all the surprising election losses of late, how the Republicans could continue to lean into more and more fascism. There are a couple possible reasons I can think of:

(1) Their leaders surround themselves with sycophants whose continued employment depends on making the boss happy, and the #1 way to do that is to tell them what they want to hear. They also shun media defined by journalism and instead limit themselves exclusively to hot take opinion media. So the leaders are highly bubbled, and almost certainly believe that the majority of people in the world are on their side, because that's what they're hearing.

(2) They believe that election results are not the result of the democratic voice of the people being heard, but of election fraud on a substantial scale instead. They believe if they can change the way elections are run, the true voice of the people will be heard and their faith that the majority of people are on their side will be rewarded.

I think they have an actual shot on that second reason.

11 hours ago, chasfh said:

People wonder, in the face of all the surprising election losses of late, how the Republicans could continue to lean into more and more fascism. There are a couple possible reasons I can think of:

(1) Their leaders surround themselves with sycophants whose continued employment depends on making the boss happy, and the #1 way to do that is to tell them what they want to hear. They also shun media defined by journalism and instead limit themselves exclusively to hot take opinion media. So the leaders are highly bubbled, and almost certainly believe that the majority of people in the world are on their side, because that's what they're hearing.

(2) They believe that election results are not the result of the democratic voice of the people being heard, but of election fraud on a substantial scale instead. They believe if they can change the way elections are run, the true voice of the people will be heard and their faith that the majority of people are on their side will be rewarded.

I think they have an actual shot on that second reason.

First point you make is particularly true of DeSantis... I'm not sure he's made a single media appearance outside of the conservative echo chamber to-date.

I'm actually excited about Christie being in this race.  I see no chance of him winning, but I kind of think he knows that too.  I feel like it's a kamikaze mission.  Having a huge pool fighting each other is great for Trump, but I feel like Christie could knock some folks out soon and when it's down to just a few folks, these comments he's making are going to make it into the Trump backing folks.

9 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

I'm actually excited about Christie being in this race.  I see no chance of him winning, but I kind of think he knows that too.  I feel like it's a kamikaze mission.  Having a huge pool fighting each other is great for Trump, but I feel like Christie could knock some folks out soon and when it's down to just a few folks, these comments he's making are going to make it into the Trump backing folks.

Same.  At least one person is willing to tell them what they don't want to hear. 

1 hour ago, oblong said:

of the declared candidates he's their best choice and if I had to accept one of them to be President it would probably be him.

Today, Christie comes across as loyal to small d democracy, which is more than the rest them other than Hutchinson - or maybe Pence in his otherwise totally moronic way.  But no matter what Christie looks like now, the fact that he *did* once go into the tank for Trump. and that he has also proven himself not to be above abuse of his office when he had power,  argue that the level of his commitment to principle still has to be regarded as strongly suspect. In the end talk and posturing are cheap. If he wants to play the useful tool  to take Trump down, I'd be glad to shake his hand for doing it, but I'm still not going to offer him my car keys.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ewsieg said:

I don’t think Christie is in it to win it. I think he’s in it to try to get enough votes on his side to influence the Republican platform next year. 

President Joe Biden and his top aides have taken a vow of silence on the federal indictment of his predecessor, Donald Trump — and have explicitly ordered the national Democratic Party and his reelection campaign to do the same.

That directive was issued in recent days after Trump was hit with federal charges for his handling of classified documents after he left the White House, according to three people familiar with the instructions. But that decision has some Democrats and allies worried that Biden could miss a chance to underscore the seriousness of the national moment as well as deliver a political blow to his top White House rival.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/06/13/biden-dnc-trump-indictment-00101821?utm_source=substack&utm_medium=email

That's the ****ty thing..... what they are doing is the right thing to do.  Treat it as a non partisan issue.  It degrades it if you have dems on TV spouting talking points about the trial as if it's some celebrity/OJ type thing.  

But what's right politically is a different manner.

The appeal to idiots is a conundrum.