Oh Yes!

romad1

Been watching this fellow only a short time.  The reports and the analysis suggest that he will work hard to resolve certain competitive issues Michigan has in the evolving College Football industry.  First step: admit that it is commerce and not strictly academics.  

Lets see how it goes. 

There’s no option.  They need to jump on  board now.   Being behind Ohio St is one thing but being behind MSU is a completely different animal that UM alums will not stand for.   If UM fails to develop a modern NIL/Transfer Portal plan, there’s no if, only how long until MSU blows past them. 

good luck with that.  michigan is an old institution run by old people who think theyre different.

also, harbaugh has this mythical idea of what the football program is.  

i agree the alums will get mad, i'm not sure that's enough.  if it isnt enough, michigan will soon be northwestern.  

they may have to endure a few more brady hoke type seasons before they realize they've broken the football program.  that's what it took the last time.

3 hours ago, Hongbit said:

There’s no option.  They need to jump on  board now.   Being behind Ohio St is one thing but being behind MSU is a completely different animal that UM alums will not stand for.   If UM fails to develop a modern NIL/Transfer Portal plan, there’s no if, only how long until MSU blows past them. 

Sparty is gonna Sparty.  They have a nice alumni base and lots of money.  Michigan has more. 

4 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Sparty is gonna Sparty.  They have a nice alumni base and lots of money.  Michigan has more. 

Sparty money goes right to the player and directly impacts recruiting and transfers.   UM money is stuck in the old world that goes to things like athletic support funds and endowed scholarships that top players don’t care about. 

Just now, Hongbit said:

Sparty money goes right to the player and directly impacts recruiting and transfers.   UM money is stuck in the old world that goes to things like athletic support funds and endowed scholarships that top players don’t care about. 

The assumption being that Ono would fix that sort of structural issue.

4 minutes ago, romad1 said:

The assumption being that Ono would fix that sort of structural issue.

Got it and agree if Ono can get it together they will outspend MSU.  Mat Ishbia & Dan Gilbert will probably be worth half as much this time next year as owners of mortgage companies.  

3 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Got it and agree if Ono can get it together they will outspend MSU.  Mat Ishbia & Dan Gilbert will probably be worth half as much this time next year as owners of mortgage companies.  

Likewise my 529 savings plan

There is a lot of optimism out there but I wouldn’t advise anyone to put their money on  a new president turning MI into ‘bama. Like Buddha said, it’s a huge institution with a LOT of big constituencies that don’t care about or are even hostile to revenue sports.

Edited by gehringer_2

On 7/15/2022 at 9:26 PM, gehringer_2 said:

There is a lot of optimism out there but I wouldn’t advise anyone to put their money on  a new president turning MI into ‘bama. Like Buddha said, it’s a huge institution with a LOT of big constituencies that don’t care about or are even hostile to revenue sports.

I think it goes to what your expectations are. Michigan will never be Bama, nor should they aspire to such. Michigan has way more going for it as an institution than football. Alabama would change their name to the University of Football and cut research funding in half if they thought it would guarantee them another win each year. I don’t want to win football games at the expense of everything else the university is doing.

I think it does say that Michigan will take the step forward necessary to compete in the upper echelon of the sport rather than being left in the dust of transition.

26 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I think it goes to what your expectations are. Michigan will never be Bama, nor should they aspire to such. Michigan has way more going for it as an institution than football. Alabama would change their name to the University of Football and cut research funding in half if they thought it would guarantee them another win each year. I don’t want to win football games at the expense of everything else the university is doing.

I think it does say that Michigan will take the step forward necessary to compete in the upper echelon of the sport rather than being left in the dust of transition.

no arg there. But  moreso, I hope Ono, since he does seem to care about intercollegiate sports, does spend some energy leveraging M's weight to have some input into where those sports are going. I never got the impression Schlissel was interested/engaged enough to facilitate any kind of leadership role. Like anything else, if the AAU schools won't lead, they will have to follow, and will end up with what the 'bama's want the system to be, and that will not be the best outcome for them.

i think ono was hired to clean up the mess from the multiple scandals at the university, i dont know if sports is his main focus.

he strikes me as a guy coming in to right the ship, not to make waves and take the athletic department in a new direction.

the one you need to convince is harbaugh.  that said, losing a few more dante moores will likely do that is harbaugh is still engaged at that point.

27 minutes ago, buddha said:

i think ono was hired to clean up the mess from the multiple scandals at the university, i dont know if sports is his main focus.

he strikes me as a guy coming in to right the ship, not to make waves and take the athletic department in a new direction.

the one you need to convince is harbaugh.  that said, losing a few more dante moores will likely do that is harbaugh is still engaged at that point.

Sure you go with a guy with a long resume because you want a calm caretaker.

But the reality is that there is really nothing to 'clean up' about 'the scandals.' Every one from the Anderson scandal is dead and buried, there is nothing left for the university to actually do except write checks and do PR. There will no prosecutions, no tenure hearings, nada. There will be (has been really) zero current institutional operational impact on from Anderson. All those policies had already been revised and re-revised multiple times before anyone even knew about Anderson. Much like the policy that had already been revised that got Schlissel! And Schlissel's tiff with the Regents over the Detroit project is also tiny potatoes to the life of the University. Sure it got him in hot water with the wrong people, but again, that is a project that will have close to zero impact on the life of the University - it's just a another rich man's vanity project that Schlissel did a lousy job of shepherding/humoring. As for Philpot and Schlissel themselves, they were individuals that broke the rules, got caught and got fired. Again there will be lots of PR about institutional reflection and reams of policy written, but it's all gloss - the existing systems tossed them both. So again, it's not like Ono has some kind of lift to do on any of the supposedly 'big issues facing the University.' The work has already been done for him. He only needs to appear to be working them hard! So the policy revisions will be revised again you probably won't be able to decipher the difference- well maybe Buddha will....:classic_laugh:

Ono will still have a lot of time and energy to spend on whatever he decides his priorities are. Will sports be one? Who knows. I can only say like I did earlier that it would be hard to have hired another President less interested in sports than Schlissel was.

Edited by gehringer_2

59 minutes ago, buddha said:

I think he’s here to do both. You don’t hire a university president for a short-term gig. He’s here for a sense of stability post-Schlissel, but he’s also here for the next chapter, whatever that brings. He’s not James Hackett, here to make you forget the errors of Dave Brandon, usher in Jim Harbaugh, and gracefully bow out.

I think Harbaugh will find ways to spend money and use resources in positive ways should Ono provide him with such.

1 hour ago, romad1 said:

Jim Harbaugh, trouble-seeking missile.   I get that you are a devout catholic coach...sheesh

He’s unquestionably allowed to have an opinion and even speak on it publicly if he chooses but this one seems like it’s going to bring more headaches than good for him.    

I hope he allows us to start recruiting the way Texas A&M just did this past year and I hope we have a head coach capable of doing that. If we want to compete with the big boys that's how it's going to have to be done. I have no clue on how Ono will govern the University, but something tells me our head coach and alumni base is not about to go all Jimbo Fischer with NIL money and recruits.

• 5 months later...
On 7/15/2022 at 1:02 PM, romad1 said:

Been watching this fellow only a short time.  The reports and the analysis suggest that he will work hard to resolve certain competitive issues Michigan has in the evolving College Football industry.  First step: admit that it is commerce and not strictly academics.  

Lets see how it goes. 

Do the right thing and get Harbaugh paid and locked down for a few years so this NFL stuff dies. 

4 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Also as a former math professor, Santa should sit down with him and go over end game time management strategies. 

I think Harbaugh being on the sidelines was categorically better for the program than any other option available.  Prove me wrong. 

They should give him a raise and make him the highest paid coach in the conference.  It’s a sign of respect that he’s earned.  

Still, the money itself won’t keep him.   The NFL can always pay more.   They will keep calling.  There aren’t many available coaches with his past level of NFL success.   Teams would be dumb not to try and tempt him.  

The biggest thing they can do is make adjustments to allow him to get the players and top assistants that he needs to consistently win.  It appears they are making adjustments based on the recent transfers in from places like Nebraska and Coastal Carolina.  I expect they will also continue to develop a robust NIL program as the grey area around university involvement begins to get more clear in the coming year.   

FWIW, he still fucked up the clock management at the end of the TCU game.  

Edited by Hongbit

45 minutes ago, buddha said:

i imagine he will have legit nfl opportunities this time around if he wants them.

he's the best candidate on the market right now.

He probably had the Minnesota gig until the interview and they thought he was too flaky (because he is)

The Colts gig is different.  He's known Jim Irsay since he played there.  They have always kept in contact.  I guess Harbaugh reached out to Irsay when he got busted with the pills to offer support.  He would not have to even interview for that job, if he wants it, it's his.   Jim Irsay is a flake too.   

Edited by Motor City Sonics