07/23/2022 6:10 EDT Minnesota Twins at Detroit Tigers

casimir

24 minutes ago, casimir said:

He might be in our conversation, but is he in the Tigers' conversation?

I think sometimes its easy on here to confuse what we think the Tigers should do and what the Tigers think they should do.  3B next season is a prime example.  My opinion is that the Tigers are more likely to bring Candelario back than the majority of folks here would.

You are 100% correct here... as bad as Candelario has been, tendering him for 2023 may be the best and most pragmatic move in their view.

My only point for bringing it up is that, based on his overall play, they would be completely justified in non-tendering him. And as much as we think he's still better than Kody Clemens or Brendon Davis or whoever the Tigers have that is remotely close to hitting the big leagues (pretty much only those two guys; Kreidler being injured sucks), I can't say that if you gave either of those guys 250 ABs that they would be significantly worse than Candy has been this year.

I like Candy and he seems like a good dude. And given all the other deficiencies they have on this roster, they badly need him to work out in the short term. But they would be completely justified in walking away at this point.

Edited by mtutiger

I'm ready to move on. He's been in the majors 6 yrs, has had 1 1/2 good seasons. Unless there is an undisclosed injury they think is going to be different in the future, Other than that, we appear to be beating a dead horse. He doesn't bring enough with the glove to play with that bat.

Edited by gehringer_2

12 hours ago, romad1 said:

also, VPNs work.  I used mine to watch the game on my laptop here in Western Michigan.   I would need to be creative to use that with the apple tv though.

I don’t think you can layer a VPN app onto Apple TV, but I have had success running a VPN through my router. 

11 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

I don’t agree that Jeimer is on the squad next season.  I think if Kreidler stays healthy, he gets called up to play 3B in September.  They’ll non-tender Candelario, IMO

Remember just a few years ago when it seemed like every position player we drafted or traded for was going to be a third baseman? Jeimer Candelario, Dawel Lugo, Jose King, Sergio Alcanatara, Isaac Paredes, Spencer Torkelson, any number of Castros. Ah, good times …

It’s definitely looking like Jeimer is yet another position players the Tigers can’t figure out how to unlock. No sense in forcing him to waste the rest of his career potential here. Might as well let him move on and try to salvage whatever he can with someone else.

3 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I'm ready to move on. He's been in the majors 6 yrs, has had 1 1/2 good seasons. Unless there is an undisclosed injury they think is going to be different in the future, Other than that, we appear to be beating a dead horse. He doesn't bring enough with the glove to play with that bat.

It'll be interesting (and ultimately probably depressing) to see what, if anything, they get on return at the deadline.

Beggars can't be choosers, but returning someone capable of playing 3B may be as ideal as returning an outfielder at this point

Edited by mtutiger