07/27/2022 1:10 EDT San Diego Padres at Detroit Tigers

casimir

i think they traded for meadows because they thought they were competing for a playoff spot this year.  

i dont think they've rated paredes for a long time.  and quite honestly, he doesnt look so hot in tampa right now (but he still has potential).

That power for Paredes has disappeared as suddenly and mysteriously as it appeared and if you check his game logs for July you will find that the Rays have him playing the worst ball of his career right now.  He is also spending significant playing time at first base,  which suggests that the Rays aren't sure where he fits defensively, which sounds familiar.

As of now, with almost equal playing time in each organization, his BA and OBP are virtually identical for both teams.  His SLG is quite a lot higher with the Rays of course, primarily because of that 4 game stretch where he went 10 for 15 with 5 home runs.  That was the week in which the Rays had "unlocked" him and "fleeced the Tigers" and so on, but in reality other than that week he's pretty much the same as he ever was.  He's a guy with some talent, with an uncertain defensive profile, who doesn't get on base often enough.

That is disappointing because I was hoping that he would hit 25 home runs and earn a nice payday, but that isn't going to happen.

2 hours ago, sabretooth said:

I am not sure that we disagree.  If you are saying that you'd rather have Paredes at this point, I agree, primarily due to Meadows' health.

If you are saying that at the time of the trade, that it should have been apparent that Paredes was probably going to perform better on-field than Meadows up to this point or beyond this point, or that Avila should have known that Meadows' was a major injury risk, then I would disagree with that, very much so.

Meadows is a career 120 OPS+ guy, which is very good, especially over 1600 PAs, he's only 27, and Paredes projections both before and after the hot-streak show him to be capable of matching Meadows' demonstrated performance level, but nothing has indicated that Paredes is clearly a better hitter or player yet.

Like I said, at this point, I'd rather have Paredes, simply because he's not struggling with so many injuries, and he's younger and cheaper.....but it remains to be seen who will get the better of this deal. 

And in any case, I really think Meadows' health problems are an example of very bad and unforeseeable luck.

Yes I think your right and you are way more skilled at talent evaluation than me but when evaluating the trade of Paredes + good draft pick for Meadows you have to keep in mind the return/value for dollar/salary spent. That is the Tampa way and why it is different than many teams especially Detroit. The money saved can be put to use for another asset. Maybe parades was just a two week flash but I don't think so and time will tell, I do know his 1.5 war tops all Tigers. 

Personally I think Al Aviia and Chris Illitch cornered themselves with the "rebuild is over statement" and when Riley broke his foot Tampa took advantage to get a promising young player that fit their evaluation profile + a pretty high draft pick AND unload an expensive declining player to pad their budget. My guess is they spend that $$ at this years deadline. 

Look I hope Meadows comes back next year and hits the 25 to 30 homers required to justify his salary and poor defense but I think we are stuck with "Robbie Grossman plus" for what 6 mil  in 2023 and if the Tigers think he will fix the middle of our order we will be back in the same soup we are in now. Al sure will want to justify his trade like he did overplaying Demerite, Lugo, Willie Castro etc.

• Like 1