07/30/2022 3:07 EDT Detroit Tigers at Toronto Blue Jays

casimir

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

Fun fact, because of the error that Law himself committed, all four of the runs he gave up are unearned. His ERA? 0.00.

Can't make it up!

Still blown away by this. 

Is there a reason why an error on the pitcher shouldn't count toward ERA? Maybe there is, but it seems bizarre to me

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

Is there a reason why an error on the pitcher shouldn't count toward ERA? Maybe there is, but it seems bizarre to me

I used to ask this before and the way it was explained to me was that ERA is strictly there to show how a guy is at actually pitching the ball independent of mistakes made by fielders including himself, if you punished him for making errors that would also mean you are factoring in his defense which isn't what ERA was supposed to do. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

I used to ask this before and the way it was explained to me was that ERA is strictly there to show how a guy is at actually pitching the ball independent of mistakes made by fielders including himself, if you punished him for making errors that would also mean you are factoring in his defense which isn't what ERA was supposed to do. 

Dude should be punished.  Send him to a losing team.

So, yeah, John Law gave up 4 in an inning.  The Tigers got the best start that they could have hoped for out of Hutchison.  He got pulled when he should have, and the only reason to keep him for a 3rd trip at that point would have been an absolutely decimated relief corps.

But the Tigers mustered only 3 runs again.  10 hits, all singles aside from 2 doubles, and 2 walks.  Struck out 10 times.  The strikeouts are in fashion, but the cool kids also hit for power.

Seeing er'body bitching about Law, but this was on AJ...he hung with the kid waaayyyy too long, when it was obvious to every person who doesnt get paid millions of dollars to the job AJ is paid millions of dollars to do.  I never thought I'd say this, but I am 100% ok without AJ being the skipper, regardless of the turd sandwich AL has given him.  AJ has NOT been good enough this year...especially as he get's correctly second guessed by schlub fans like mysef and others waaayyy too often.

19 hours ago, Hongbit said:

Fun fact: Rodney never did this, but widening out one of the qualifiers from pitcher’s own error to giving up at least one unearned run, Law accomplished what had been done only 81 other times since 1901. The only other Tigers pitcher to accomplish this was Bill Sherrer in 1986.

The most recent 31 are screenshot below. Click the link for the rest.

https://stathead.com/tiny/lXIH0

8EB48B44-C813-4DCA-BD38-38EED1D50FB8.thumb.png.cbf538128cdc5453ed2acd683d82b538.png

More fun facts:

• Four guys did it twice. One of them was Roger Craig, who in 1984 was Bill Scherrer’s pitching coach.
  • Derek was not even the first Law to do this. Vern Law did it first.

18 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Because pitchers makes errors while they are fielding, not while they are pitching.

Edited by chasfh

15 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

Get comfortable with Hinch, he'll be here for 2 more years.  I don't think it matters all that much but he is certainly no world-beater, he does not seem to have a knack for bringing out the best in people.  

Three more years.