08/27/2022 7:05 EDT Detroit Tigers at Texas Rangers

casimir

59 minutes ago, casimir said:

His .693 OPS is good for a 102 OPS+.

It's funny how Victor generates so much opinion. He's just your basic utility OF. Yes, he is a major leaguer, no he won't be a multiple WAR player. You'd think a guy that was neither a bum nor a star would be less controversial. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think you can say the same about Willi Castro who I think catches even more flack than Reyes but unlike Reyes he has atleast shown some ability to hit for power and play some infield if need be. In fact Willi has a 1.1 WAR in 90 games which if you are to believe that an average starter should produce 2 WAR in 162 games he isn't that far off that pace yet people on here treat him like he is the worst player ever. 

On Reyes - he plays more than he should as a utility OF'er but, that's a reflection on the team's health and underperformances in the OF. I don't hate him either. He's a decent enough player. But I would rather get some health and some better performances by other OF'ers and cut back on his PA's.

On Willi - he's had so much fielding woes that there is a general down-look at him, on the whole... he needed more time in AAA. But he does have a bat & some offensive skills, that have flashed more than Reyes as Randy pointed out... the issue was always where does he play? But it seems he's improved enough in the OF to not be a liability, I'm not certain if he still looks rough in the IF... but the 1.1 WAR is nice, and says he's at least a useful player... although if he's still really not that good in the IF I think he will eventually get squeezed out by better players.

They just aren't all here yet... which is a reflection on the team as a whole.