12/01/2022 7:00 EST Dallas Mavericks vs Detroit Pistons

casimir

The sequence where Livers separated his shoulder in a non foul, was clearly in pain and one armed, still dropped a 3 in front of the Pistons' bench, then tried to play defense one armed and wincing, and then the Pistons took another possession and still refused to call a time out to get him out of the game.......  What the hell was that?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, buddha said:

countdown to jeiii's "killian's turning the corner" article in 3...2...1...

I don't know about turning a corner yet but he's had more good games than bad the last few weeks and is playing with a lot of confidence so I don't think it's far fetched to think that the lightbulb might finally be going on. 

He'll more than likely never live up to his draft position but he could very well carve out a career as a key bench player if he keeps this up.

• Like 1

He's actually been playing pretty well for the past dozen or so games. Not sure if it's a "corner" or not, because he has 100 games before that of pure trash, but he definitely looks like a different player over this stretch. With Cade on the shelf he's going to get plenty of time to show us one way or another.

21 hours ago, buddha said:

countdown to jeiii's "killian's turning the corner" article in 3...2...1...

And here ya' go:

https://theathletic.com/3959712/2022/12/02/killian-hayes-pistons-mavericks-overtime/

But... actually... I'm one of those who is not yet ready to give up on the kid...

Still only 21 and that's just way too early to give up on him... 

I just hate giving up on players until they've proven to me that they just can't cut it and it takes me forever to give up on a guy who I think has talent. It's why I obsess over trading away or giving up on Middleton's and Dinwiddie's and Christian Wood's and stuff... It's even why I couldn't give up on Drummond and his 10-cent head...

I'm just wait and see on Killian to see what he is when he fully matures.

I'm not ready to give up on Hayes either.  At this point I don't care if he lives up to whatever a 7th overall pick is supposed to be.  If he can develop into a 3rd guard in bench guard that can run the offense and play good defense, I'm good with it.

His play does look different, it does look more confident and decisive.  But that perception needs to be backed up with some numbers, too.

image.thumb.png.38387fd9a6c54019cc111384644ebb1d.png

I think that perceived improvement started with the November 7 game at Boston, so it gets muddled a bit just by looking at monthly splits.  This view shows him going in the right direction, but being honest, that was the only way to go with the October that he threw up there (how about that euphemisim).

image.thumb.png.2687fb3c79ec821adf265eaf9325d658.png

I think this captures his Hyde vs his Jeckyl a bit better.  Maybe some of this is simply due to a bit more playing time per game, I don't know.