01/11/2023 7:00 EST Minnesota Timberwolves vs Detroit Pistons

casimir

Also, why did Weaver extend Casey another year if he had no intention of letting him finish it out?  Casey is 100% the same coach he is today as when he signed that extension.  Absolutely zero has changed.

Like I said, I wouldn't fire him this year.  But if they don't make the playoffs next year I would have to fire him.

1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

So Weaver gave him shit players and you are mad he got shit results.  OK.

I don't think lots of wins was an expectation but, ideally, you want to see development, some improvement, a team that's developing an identity and this is a team that generally looks clueless on the defensive end and stagnant on the offensive end. At least some of that falls on coaching. 

Let me ask you then, did you expect them to make a big jump in the standings this season especially with Cade out? Do you think that Casey is the right coach to take them to the next level? I don't think Casey should be fired now but I do think they need to move on from him when they're more serious about winning which should be starting next season. If they don't make some significant improvements in the standings next season then Weaver should be on the hot seat.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, NYLion said:

I don't think lots of wins was an expectation but, ideally, you want to see development, some improvement, a team that's developing an identity and this is a team that generally looks clueless on the defensive end and stagnant on the offensive end. At least some of that falls on coaching. 

Let me ask you then, did you expect them to make a big jump in the standings this season especially with Cade out? Do you think that Casey is the right coach to take them to the next level? I don't think Casey should be fired now but I do think they need to move on from him when they're more serious about winning which should be starting next season. If they don't make some significant improvements in the standings next season then Weaver should be on the hot seat.

Are they not developing?

The same people that want Casey fired will also tell you Killian is playing the best basketball of his career. Stewart has added a 3pt shot, with mixed results. They will tell you how great Duren and Ivey are playing. IMO if those are true Casey should get some of the credit.

Before the season I believe I said 28 wins and that is when I assumed Cade would be healthy. So no I didn't expect a lot of wins because I thought Weaver did a bad job assembling the roster.

I do not think Casey is the coach to take them to the next level. But I also don't think they will be ready to take that step next year no matter who the coach is. 

I won't complain if they fire him or move him upstairs. But I also won't mind if they let him finish the last year of his deal. As long as they move on after next season.

18 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Are they not developing?

The same people that want Casey fired will also tell you Killian is playing the best basketball of his career. Stewart has added a 3pt shot, with mixed results. They will tell you how great Duren and Ivey are playing. IMO if those are true Casey should get some of the credit.

Before the season I believe I said 28 wins and that is when I assumed Cade would be healthy. So no I didn't expect a lot of wins because I thought Weaver did a bad job assembling the roster.

I do not think Casey is the coach to take them to the next level. But I also don't think they will be ready to take that step next year no matter who the coach is. 

I won't complain if they fire him or move him upstairs. But I also won't mind if they let him finish the last year of his deal. As long as they move on after next season.

I don't think Weaver is doing a bad job, it's a rebuild with a roster full of young players and a few supporting vets sprinkled in. Did you want him to make more "win now" moves? The biggest difference between OKC/Orlando and Detroit right now is that their stars are playing and in OKC's case their star has turned into a superstar, the Pistons star isn't playing. I don't know how many wins a healthy Cade would add (and lets be honest, he was clearly "not right" even when he played this season) but if he kept progressing, I bet they would have been where Orlando is now.

In any event, if they aren't ready to take a step forward next season with a healthy Cade, with another top prospect in the fold, another year of experience for all the young guys and presumably some additions with their truck load of cap space then that points to a much bigger problem with the entire regime, Weaver and whoever the coach is.

Edited by NYLion
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

We seem to be willing to forgive a lot with this team. Winning percentages of .300, 278, 280, 267 over the last 4 yrs isn't much progress, even given an injured Cade.

It's a full scale rebuild and, really, only the last 2 years have been full scale. They traded Rose and bought out Griffin 3 years ago.

I know it feels longer but only the last two years have been Weaver's full teardown roster. With a healthy Cade, I could guarantee that they would have progressed beyond .280.

Edited by NYLion