It's a DETROIT thing.

I'll even go a little MORE Detroit.   Does anyone remember Edgewater Park?   

When I was in 3rd grade I was still going to school in Detroit at a school called Palmetto (name of the street - the building is still there, abandoned, of course).    We did a field trip that spring to Edgewater Park.  It was the first time I had ever seen the ride The Rotor.  For those too young to remember, you would climb into this cylander, maybe 8-12 kids at a time, stand against a wall and it would start spinning.  The centripetal force would make you stick to the wall like velco and the floor would drop down and you'd be suspended in the air agains the wall.   The Ride operator had a hose.........to spray kid puke off the floor before the next spin.    Totally unsafe in about 1,000 ways........it was the 70's. 

19 hours ago, romad1 said:

Highland had great spots.   Just great.   Memorable.  Funny.  There is one that my friend and I still quote to this day. 

Manager at a Highland store gathers his employees for a pep talk.  He says With Labor Day coming up, we thought it'd be a great idea to give everyone the weekend off.........employees cheer.........but instead, we're going to have a sale! (cut away to specific product deals with voice over).  Back to commercial - manager says.  So lets get out there and sell this weekend.  (looks at guy in front row).  Sound great, Hackett?    and Hacket, depressingly says  "Yipee" while twirling his finger.        I CANT FIND IT    It has to be out there somewhere, but I don't know what it's called.

To this day, every time we have to do something we don't want to do, one says "Sound Great, Hackett?............yippee"

Edited by Motor City Sonics

23 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

NEVER EAT SPINACH WITH A STRANGER

I mean, that's totally ingrained in the consciousness.   The wife and I whenever we see a piano in a house do the "He can't come out and play, he's practicing the piano" line.  

32 minutes ago, romad1 said:

I mean, that's totally ingrained in the consciousness.   The wife and I whenever we see a piano in a house do the "He can't come out and play, he's practicing the piano" line.  

that is brilliant advertising, because not only do you remember the spot from the mid 70's, you remember the client too 

I remember getting a pull out CD player installed at Highland in Dearborn.  The store was in one location and the install was out of some alley down the street. I can picture the store.  I paced around once deciding whether to spend the $35 for a "Caller ID" box.  

Of course any Detroit commercial discussion is incomplete without this masterpiece.

• Like 2