It's a DETROIT thing.

1 hour ago, romad1 said:

The Polish version of the depression was the Holocaust and the Warsaw Uprising. 

Have family who's parents were in a camp. The oldest son was born in it and came over as a baby when the parents were able to get out, served in Vietnam, and just a few years ago after many years of hassles became a citizen.  It's unreal the paperwork he had to go thru after putting on a uniform.  At one point the paperwork was sent back because the date format was wrong, dd-mm-yyyy instead of mm-dd-yyyy.  And it wasn't even a confusing one, the days were higher than 12.  Anyone could have figured it out that was paying attention.  paper pushers.

12 minutes ago, oblong said:

Have family who's parents were in a camp. The oldest son was born in it and came over as a baby when the parents were able to get out, served in Vietnam, and just a few years ago after many years of hassles became a citizen.  It's unreal the paperwork he had to go thru after putting on a uniform.  At one point the paperwork was sent back because the date format was wrong, dd-mm-yyyy instead of mm-dd-yyyy.  And it wasn't even a confusing one, the days were higher than 12.  Anyone could have figured it out that was paying attention.  paper pushers.

There was a program in the 50s and 60s that was supposed to expedite citizenship for recent Eastern European immigrants who had spent time behind the iron curtain and who had volunteered to serve in the US Army.  I guess there was a subjective element to it which might have given commanding officers too much power over who got citizenship and those who ran afoul of the boss would be slow rolled.   

On 2/20/2023 at 4:19 PM, oblong said:

I used to fret that too many people would be at the game when I would walk up for tickets becaise you get above 18K “real” attendance then you stood chance of obstruction. And it wasn’t just the seats directly behind them that were an issue you could be rows behind and have them in front of players and action.  Plus the overhang of the upper deck meant you couldn’t see fly balls. 

There was at least one seat in the far upper deck down the right field line that was famous for one post obstructing the batter and another post obstructing the pitcher.

On 2/20/2023 at 5:38 PM, Screwball said:

Was there for the Bird when he made his comeback. Behind another pole. Talked to an usher and he moved us. Good seats - thanks.

Back in the early 80s and probably before, if you went up to the bleachers, which were maybe $1.50 a ticket, there was a fence and gate that separated you from the rest of the stadium that was manned by an usher. For slipping him as little as a dollar, he’d let you and your buddy through.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Back in the early 80s and probably before, if you went up to the bleachers, which were maybe $1.50 a ticket, there was a fence and gate that separated you from the rest of the stadium that was manned by an usher. For slipping him as little as a dollar, he’d let you and your buddy through.

Yes.  

It was like being in jail. As kids we would join the Pepsi Tiger Fan Club and get tickets to a handful of games.  We would explore the stadium's bowels.  At one point we made it near the clubhouse.  A guy yelled at us and we ran away.  That was back when they let kids be kids.  Just some old dude would yell at you with a few cuss words and you got the message.  No cops.  No parents.  No hurt feelings. 

3 hours ago, chasfh said:

When I saw Ryan we were way out in right field behind a pole.  We talked to an usher to took us to some office behind home plate where they gave us different tickets.  They were on the right field side straight up the seats if you followed the left field foul line and about 30 rows up. Absolutely great seats, especially for Ryan. We could hear the catchers mitt pop.

I wonder if those were season ticket seats and they knew the people weren't showing up. They were that good.

I had two connections for good seats.  My wife worked at McDonald's in HS and college, she was in charge of birthday parties.  A regular customer was an usher down by the visiting bullpen.  He told her to have us come see him and he'd put us in good seats.  I also had a neighbor who ran our local little league.  His wife was Bill Lajoie's secretary. He'd periodically give us seats underneath the TV booth.  That must have been where scouts were given seats because every time we'd be near a guy with a gun and notebook.  I particularly remember seeing Lou hit an inside the park HR.  

Don Shane was a Detroit thing for over 30 years in Detroit as a Sportscaster at Channel 7. I much preferred Don Shane (and Dan Miller) to Bernie Smilovitz on Channel 4. I met Don once in my life at the TPC of Dearborn waiting in the rope line to get golfer autographs. 12 year old me thought it was cool to me a sports guy I always saw on TV and he was a nice guy to say hello and shake the hand of a kid. RIP Don Shane, a Detroit broadcasting legend.

52 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Vernors is the worst thing from Detroit.  It’s disgusting and needs to go away.  It’s the anti-Faygo.

I never liked it. I think it’s because as a kid when sick I was given it to drink because that’s what you do in Detroit and I threw up  and it tasted like vernors so I equate it with puking.  I smell it and it takes me back.  

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, oblong said:

I never liked it. I think it’s because as a kid when sick I was given it to drink because that’s what you do in Detroit and I threw up  and it tasted like vernors so I equate it with puking.  I smell it and it takes me back.  

That's Bugles for me. I didn't eat them for over 40 years because I ate too many as a kid and ralphed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

Definitely an acquired taste. I think you have to be introduced to it as an adult.

I think it must be one of those flavors that there is gene for that some people have and some people don't, because there isn't much middle ground on Vernors.  It was always around the house when I was a kid but I think in a lifetime I've never finished a glass of it...and of course the SO loves it.

17 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I think it must be one of those flavors that there is gene for that some people have and some people don't, because there isn't much middle ground on Vernors.  It was always around the house when I was a kid but I think in a lifetime I've never finished a glass of it...and of course the SO loves it.

You might be right about the gene. I think there's a gene that determines whether you like super hoppy IPAs. A lot of people do. I can't stand it. All it does is give me dry mouth and make me thirsty for water.

I hated Vernors when I was a kid, but I learned to appreciate it more as an adult. I think of it as the horseradish of pop.

I don't ever drink Vernors when I'm healthy - even as an adult - but nothing else sounds good when I'm sick.

7 hours ago, Biff Mayhem said:

That's Bugles for me. I didn't eat them for over 40 years because I ate too many as a kid and ralphed.

Skittles.  I ate a whole big pack of those things when they first came out & it did not end well.