It's a DETROIT thing.

The Detroit Swimmobile !     Both my parents worked so I stayed with my Gramma during the week in the Summer.  She lived on Tappan street  near Van Dyke & Lynch.  The Swim Mobile would come around a couple times in the Summer and it was a HUGE HUGE deal.       Probably a Petrie dish of disease and kid pee, but it was the 70s and NOTHING could kill us !

The Swim mobile Detroit in the 70's | Detroit rock city, Detroit history, Detroit city

• Like 1

On 2/7/2023 at 6:24 PM, CMRivdogs said:

Buddy's Pizza

The most correct answer so far.

There was talk that Buddy’s was going to break into the Chicago market with a location in Schaumburg (!), which i would have totally traveled out to to get a Buddy’s ready-to-eat pizza. (I can only get half-bakeds in Kalamazoo while driving home and they never come out the same). But then COVID, I guess, killed that idea dead. I can’t even find the news story about it from about four years ago.

There's a great podcast called Detroit History run by Tim Kiska, 30 min episodes, and they do one on Detroit Style pizza and the relationships between Buddy's/Loui's/Shields.  I prefer Loui's but Buddy's is closer and the difference isn't really that much to make the drive to Hazel Park for me.  I like the old school ambiance at Loui's.  Buddy's is too "chain like" for me.  You look around and you could just as easily be in a Chili's or Applebee's.

Don't forget Cloverleaf.  I'm sad to say i've never been to Loui's, so I can't compare to that, but Cloverleaf is a great bar/grill setup.   The original Buddy's is also quite a bit different than any of the other Buddy's in the suburbs i've been too in terms of feel.

Yeah Cloverleaf is in the mix too among that original group.  In fact I might have mixed up Shield's and Cloverleaf.

At Loui's you will sit amongst old tables that have been there for decades, drink PBR, and sit below the old wine bottles with straw wrapped around them.  There's no name taking, you just show up and if needed stand in line and wait for the next available table.

20180303_louis-hazel-park_01.jpg

7 hours ago, oblong said:

There's a great podcast called Detroit History run by Tim Kiska, 30 min episodes, and they do one on Detroit Style pizza and the relationships between Buddy's/Loui's/Shields.  I prefer Loui's but Buddy's is closer and the difference isn't really that much to make the drive to Hazel Park for me.  I like the old school ambiance at Loui's.  Buddy's is too "chain like" for me.  You look around and you could just as easily be in a Chili's or Applebee's.

7 hours ago, oblong said:

I've been having these conversations at work that go "What is Detroit style?" and I'm like "well, i had never had that until i was an adult and its really good but its not actually what I grew up with."   Basically, foodies are gonna foodie. 

The idea that there is a thing that is Detroit style and people outside the area like it is almost enough for me to be proud of.  

I grew up on NY style slices from places like Primos and Lorenzos (no longer around) that would burn your mouth from the spicy sauce and toppings.   These pizzas would be thrown by my parents to my siblings and I like a gazelle carcass thrown to a pack of lion cubs or a cow stumbling into the Amazon and being shredded by piranhas and it would disappear in seconds. 

According to my NJ-born colleague at work who had experience making pies, an acceptable NY pizza slice must be able to fold at the sides at the crust and the tip (i.e., the part from center of the pie) must not bend down.   That standard is not met by a lot of places who don't actually give a bleep.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Me too.  Not a deep dish guy.    I usually don't have a very good night or next day after eating deep dish pizza. 

Buddy's win formula is to have a salad with the pie.  The roughage helps digest the more carby pizza mo better.   

All bets are off with NY style though.  My upbringing as the younger kid in a family with many siblings taught me to eat quickly and aggressively.   Its my kryptonite. 

8 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Their Antipasto is a must order every time.   Minestrone is damn good too.  

I do love their Antipasto.    There is a Buddy's just 3 miles from my house and I never go there.   Maybe I'll order out from Buddy's tonight.  Thanks for the idea, guys.  Just get an antipasto.  

The one deep dish I really love is Buscemi's.   It's because I grew up around some of the Buscemi kids and their stores were all around, but I moved to the west side and I can only think of one on Plymouth Rd in Livonia.   Nostalgic for me. 

21 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I do love their Antipasto.    There is a Buddy's just 3 miles from my house and I never go there.   Maybe I'll order out from Buddy's tonight.  Thanks for the idea, guys.  Just get an antipasto.  

The one deep dish I really love is Buscemi's.   It's because I grew up around some of the Buscemi kids and their stores were all around, but I moved to the west side and I can only think of one on Plymouth Rd in Livonia.   Nostalgic for me. 

Is that the one in the liquor store In Plymouth?  If so, that pizza is great.

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

One of the additional perks of coming down to see the grandparents when I was growing up was it meant a trip to Buscemi's on our way back home.  

Having too many parking lots in your downtown area is another thing that is uniquely Detroit thanks to organizations like the Ilitch Crime Family and other sleazy parking lot owners. Parking makes up 40% of all land parcels in downtown Detroit according to Detroiter's for Parking Reform. Hell, the parking lot situation is so uniquely bad in Detroit they even had to setup an organization to fight it.

Ilitch Owned Parking Lots Map

Free Press: Christopher Ilitch acknowledges delays, defends parking lots near arena

Detroit Free Press: Surface parking lots spreading 'like a disease' in Detroit, group says

Street Blog USA: Detroit Hurt by Too Much Parking

WDIV: Are There Too Many Parking Lots in Detroit

17 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Having too many parking lots in your downtown area is another thing that is uniquely Detroit thanks to organizations like the Ilitch Crime Family and other sleazy parking lot owners. Parking makes up 40% of all land parcels in downtown Detroit according to Detroiter's for Parking Reform. Hell, the parking lot situation is so uniquely bad in Detroit they even had to setup an organization to fight it.

Ilitch Owned Parking Lots Map

Free Press: Christopher Ilitch acknowledges delays, defends parking lots near arena

Detroit Free Press: Surface parking lots spreading 'like a disease' in Detroit, group says

Street Blog USA: Detroit Hurt by Too Much Parking

WDIV: Are There Too Many Parking Lots in Detroit

if they are a crime family, they are an exceptionally boring crime family.    Not that i want eccentric crime families running my sports teams 

I go back and forth on the mass of parking lots we now see in their "District Detroit".  Aesthetically it looks bad obviously.  They promised development.  But when I go to a game or a concert at the Fillmore or Fox, they are pretty convenient.  I grew to like the ability to book a spot ahead of time.  I don't mind walking and will pick a spot a half mile away if it's $8 instead of $30 closer.  Not a fan of parking structures and the congestion they provide. 

They now want to do some development work on the lots on Woodward in front of Comerica Park, and on a few of the bigger parcels along Cass.  Of course they need help with it with subsidies.   

I don't know that it's a bad thing to have a bunch of parking lots behind the main corridor on Woodward. 

I mean.... if you want 50,000 people at Ford Field and 18,000 and LCA and an event at the Fox... where do you want them to park?  Don't say Mass Transit because that's just not an option for the extreme majority of people.

Anytime there's a big event at Ford Field whether it's a concert or Football game and something else is going on at the same time... it's a zoo.