The impending death of Bally Sports

Motor City Sonics

3 hours ago, chasfh said:

I'm still on DirecTV, and I'll probably stick with it for a while.

For one thing, I've negotiated $80 or so a month off the topline price to something more reasonable. For another, I like the convenience of channel numbers, and channel neighborhoods, and surfing.

I'm not so keen on having to rely on search because sometimes I just want to browse, and browsing the DTV menu has a comfortable familiarity to it (I've been with them since 1999). When I browse the streamers, 95% of what I see are of a certain type of action-adventure-thriller-horror-scifi-reality-franchise fare.

I also like how everything on DTV is centralized in one app, versus having to travel around three or four different streamers. Apple TV does centralize several streamers on their home page, although not all.

Also, not for nothing, much of what I see on DTV is also available to me in streaming as long as I input my login credentials on the various network sites.

And when it comes to baseball, my MLB Extra Innings package not only gets me the convenience of surfing games that offer both broadcasts, but I also get MLB.tv plus MLB audio gratis along with it anyway.

Lastly, I'm in a sharing arrangement where I provide the DTV credentials, and I get Netflix, Hulu, Disney, ESPN, and YouTube TV in return.

So yeah, I think I'll stick with it for a while longer.

thats my problem with all theses apps is you cant surf thru them if you watching something on the MLB app on my tv its a pain to switch to live TV and back during commerical breaks

On 5/3/2024 at 6:23 PM, chasfh said:

I'm still on DirecTV, and I'll probably stick with it for a while.

For one thing, I've negotiated $80 or so a month off the topline price to something more reasonable. For another, I like the convenience of channel numbers, and channel neighborhoods, and surfing.

I'm not so keen on having to rely on search because sometimes I just want to browse, and browsing the DTV menu has a comfortable familiarity to it (I've been with them since 1999). When I browse the streamers, 95% of what I see are of a certain type of action-adventure-thriller-horror-scifi-reality-franchise fare.

I also like how everything on DTV is centralized in one app, versus having to travel around three or four different streamers. Apple TV does centralize several streamers on their home page, although not all.

Also, not for nothing, much of what I see on DTV is also available to me in streaming as long as I input my login credentials on the various network sites.

And when it comes to baseball, my MLB Extra Innings package not only gets me the convenience of surfing games that offer both broadcasts, but I also get MLB.tv plus MLB audio gratis along with it anyway.

Lastly, I'm in a sharing arrangement where I provide the DTV credentials, and I get Netflix, Hulu, Disney, ESPN, and YouTube TV in return.

So yeah, I think I'll stick with it for a while longer.

Can't disagree with most of this. DirecTV always offered me a substantial discount to stay, but it just got to the point where I wasn't seeing the value, especially since I was already paying for Hulu (the "regular" version). Combine that with the fact that what we actually watch on TV is very little, it was just time to make the switch. Navigating Hulu Live TV is a little wonky, but we will adjust quickly enough. It helps that each of us can have our own Favorites channel guide. I also like that I can click on Sports, and it shows me all of the live and upcoming games to choose from, and I can further narrow that by sport. We also can now truly just have one remote we use for everything, which has long been an annoyance to Mrs Shades of Deivi Cruz.

11 minutes ago, Shades of Deivi Cruz said:

Can't disagree with most of this. DirecTV always offered me a substantial discount to stay, but it just got to the point where I wasn't seeing the value, especially since I was already paying for Hulu (the "regular" version). Combine that with the fact that what we actually watch on TV is very little, it was just time to make the switch. Navigating Hulu Live TV is a little wonky, but we will adjust quickly enough. It helps that each of us can have our own Favorites channel guide. I also like that I can click on Sports, and it shows me all of the live and upcoming games to choose from, and I can further narrow that by sport. We also can now truly just have one remote we use for everything, which has long been an annoyance to Mrs Shades of Deivi Cruz.

Regardling Hulu Live... I remember a case this year when the Wings game was only on Hulu... and I couldn't find it.  On my phone it came right up on the main screen and I could put it on.  On my TV's app... it wasn't the same options when the app opened up.  I searched all kinds of keywoards and couldn't find it.

2 minutes ago, oblong said:

I did. Once during a pregame if locked up.  It’s also behind. I got the notification on my phone before the game ended. 

I already get that when I watch or listen to any Tigers game on any device. Drives me nuts.

Tony Paul had a thing up today.

Their deal ended April 30 and Bally claims they were blindsided by the decision to pull the games since they were still negotiated.  They were working off a six month extension.

Xfinity says only 30% of their viewers watch Bally.  They want to move the channel to a higher tier, one where you get the league networks, etc. as they claim most of their Bally viewers already have.  The implication being they would then lower the bill for everyone else (Yeah, right).