03/19/2023 1:05 pm EDT Detroit Tigers vs Washington Nationals

casimir

Cecil was great—his 50 HR march was very exciting.  Not on the level of what the Bird did in ‘76, but still a lot of fun.  Probably not replicated until Miggy got the Triple Crown.

50 HR in a season seems a bit pedestrian now, but it was rarified air when he was able to achieve it in 1990–I think George Foster had been the last to accomplish in the late 70’s.

Edited by Tenacious D

25 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Cecil was great—his 50 HR march was very exciting.  Not on the level of what the Bird did in ‘76, but still a lot of fun.  Probably not replicated until Miggy got the Triple Crown.

50 HR in a season seems a bit pedestrian now, but it was rarified air when he was able to achieve it in 1990–I think George Foster had been the last to accomplish in the late 70’s.

Yes, 50 homers was rare back then and ,like Fidrych, Fielder seemingly came out of nowhere.  That was a really fun season.    

I know he was at the WBC for a short time, but it seems like they really aren't playing Schoop much.     For a guy who seems to always get off to slow starts (.229 over his career in the first month and then .221 in September), you'd think they'd want him to get up and running quickly. 

Are you reading anything into that?     Or is he hurt?  

I am starting to wonder if he is an end of Spring Training cut.    There's more to gain by letting young guys take their lumps.   All I've heard about him is that he lost weight and he couldn't buy a hit in the WBC.  

Edited by Motor City Sonics

Depending upon how one looks at a calendar (Sun-Sat or Mon-Sun), Opening Day is next week.  Never mind the dusting of snow that was on the ground this morning.  The games are for real next week.  Every game is televised and radioised.  The dugouts aren’t as crowded.  It’s American League and National League rather groupings of citrus and prickly plants.  We’re almost there.

25 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I just saw that Miggy didn’t get a single AB in the WBC.  Not great for getting him game ready, but hopefully it prepped him to embrace a significantly diminished role.

IDK, this site says he had 21, MLB WBC site says he had 11. (????)

http://hosted.stats.com/wbc/teamreports.asp?tm=16&report=stats

Edited by gehringer_2

9 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Hopefully Maybin will be as good as Alex Avila was.

I can't remember: did Alex do any games after his dad was booted? Seems like he wouldn't have but I can't remember.

Nope...he talks way too much for radio. No play by play because of the constant chatter

22 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I thought he meant Alex, because Alex does talk a lot the same way Dan does.

They were both very verbose working together, which I actually like, but I could see how it would rattle some listeners. I thought maybe I'd accidentally stumbled onto a radio version of His Girl Friday ...