SCOTUS and whatnot

pfife

Trumps lawyers were still arguing the notion that the president needs to be impeached before he is criminally charged..... I wonder what happens when a president just resigns before he gets impeached.  If he does that, is he unable to be criminally charged?  

Posted (edited)

So if they have to determine each act is personal or presidential, each of those is going to have a whole string of hearings and arguments and decisions and appeals.   This is going nowhere anytime soon. 

Edited by pfife

• 3 weeks later...

Usually I just assume that people who promote horrible reactionaries are merely cynical partisan hacks, but every once in a while I have to wonder whether they are just aggressively ignorant or even stupid. Otherwise, how can they not see what’s so blindingly obvious?

13 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Usually I just assume that people who promote horrible reactionaries are merely cynical partisan hacks, but every once in a while I have to wonder whether they are just aggressively ignorant or even stupid. Otherwise, how can they not see what’s so blindingly obvious?

I can cut people a little slack around Thomas because he had honed the act of the aggrieved black man to an art and was able to take in a lot of people with it - but it shouldn't have taken too much of his record on the court to prove to anyone that he is a hack and a schill for his various sugar daddy business 'contributors'. There's the ignorance part I guess. 

With Alito, there is less excuse, he has been a small minded off the wall medievalist, royalist nut job from day one.

9 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

WAIT! THERE'S MORE!

You don't need to see a flag on his house to know that Alito's mind is driven by a sense of Christian entitlement. Unless maybe his next claim will be that his wife is the one writing his decisions as well....

remember when they foudn that 14th Amendment section 3 didnt apply to trump b/c congress never made a law implementing it?   That was awesome
I remember learning about how congress can nullify an amendment in never school 

1 hour ago, pfife said:

who bought the beach house

and Roberts remains a total putz - he will go down as the chief of the most debased court in US history, either because he is too much of a closet right wing radical himself, or just too gutless to do his job. The idea that the chief has no real power is nonsense. How long would a justice stay on the court once a chief suspends his decision writing privileges?