SCOTUS and whatnot

pfife

14 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I think just about everybody accepts by now that the Supreme Court is has been deeply corrupted and delegitimatized

I wasn't sure about this, but I looked it up and only 27% of Americans have confidence in the Supreme Court.  That's even worse than Biden and Dump. 

Of course, if everybody distrusts them that much, that means there is a large group of people that thinks they are corrupt for different reasons than you think.

Personally, I think the way they appoint Supreme Court Justices is pretty stupid and it was destined for corruption.  

Edited by Tiger337

• 1 month later...

Today the Supreme Court of the Federalist Society will hear arguments and then disregard them, and then decide 250 years of people reading the text of the constitution just didn't see that president's are immune because reasons

Audio will be live on CSpan.   If she is arguing today, Solicitor General Prelogar is very impressive.

Some observations:

1) Apparently Trump is going to argue that "ensuring election integrity" was part of his official presidential duties, and he shouldn't be prosecuted for carrying out his official presidential duties.   Problem is, ensuring election integrity is a STATE matter, STATES administer elections, not the Federal Government and certainly not the President.

2) The SCOTFS and SCOTUS historically have been aggressive in seizing power in relation to the other branches of government, main example being when the court granted itself powers not in the constitution to strike down laws passed by legislatures.   Would the SCOTFS *really* give the President the authority to flout the SCOTFS if they so desired?

25 minutes ago, pfife said:

2) The SCOTFS and SCOTUS historically have been aggressive in seizing power in relation to the other branches of government, main example being when the court granted itself powers not in the constitution to strike down laws passed by legislatures.   Would the SCOTFS *really* give the President the authority to flout the SCOTFS if they so desired?

This one is the key. I find it hard to believe that SCOTUS would Seal Team Six themselves in the service of Agent Orange.