04/25/2023 7:40pm EDT Detroit Tigers vs Milwaukee Brewers

casimir

5 minutes ago, Hart said:

I don't know if there is statistical data to back this up but I get the feeling Greene is trying to hit for more power while sacrificing batting average and plate discipline.  He's taken some cuts this year that seem a lot more sell-outish than what I remember seeing from him last year.  This mentality is fine for Carpenter.  Maybe even Torkelson.  But it doesn't seem the best use of Green's skills to me.    

Could well be. Greene is a good opposite field hitter when he inside outs the ball but that's not going to get you a big ISO unless you're the size of Miguel. If he feels pressure to hit home runs he might be playing away from what he's most able to handle at this point. I think back to Lou Whittaker - came up and did most of his hitting the opposite way but was patient with himself and as he got older his pull power and timing just evolved naturally until he was an easy 20hr guy. I like that model but I can imagine that Tigers today are more impatient than they were when Lou came up.

4 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

When pitchers come back from TJ surgery, their arms are stronger than before and the breaking pitches will break differently and it takes time to adjust.    I wouldn't worry too much,  Spence was kind of expected to go through this.  

And Spencer mostly never knew where his 2 seamer was going even before TJ. That's his good news/bad news pitch.

Edited by gehringer_2