05/28/2023 1:40 pm EDT Chicago White Sox vs Detroit Tigers

casimir

20 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I can't see us making any moves along the lines of trading future for someone to help us win now. First of all, I don't see who we have among our prospects that can unlock a difference maker for us today. Secondly, I don't believe just one player would be able to put us over the top. We would need at least two, maybe three.

I think we will ride or die with who we have in the system right now, barring a surprisingly fruitful waiver pickup. If we still sneak into the postseason with who we have now, what a coup that would be!

Saw yesterday, on Apple+ TV I think, that the Tigers have the easiest schedule (by opponent's winning percentage) in MLB the rest of the season. Who knows what adding Skubal, Manning, and a healthy Turnbull could mean in the second half. If the Tigers are in this position at the trade deadline would Harris trade Rodriguez? I bet he would if the return was significant. 

Agreed that being buyers this year is unlikely and probably not a good idea. That said, I have been imaging what the roster could be like next year. Keep the ones that have shown  they belong this year, drop a bunch of payroll and use it for some solid players to add. Plus the pitchers that should be back to health, hopefully.

McKinstry
Greene
Tork
Carpenter
New FA
Malloy or Keith
Baez
Rogers/Haase
Baddoo

i could see that being a reasonably good offense. 

3 hours ago, Dan Gilmore said:

Agreed that being buyers this year is unlikely and probably not a good idea. That said, I have been imaging what the roster could be like next year. Keep the ones that have shown  they belong this year, drop a bunch of payroll and use it for some solid players to add. Plus the pitchers that should be back to health, hopefully.

McKinstry
Greene
Tork
Carpenter
New FA
Malloy or Keith
Baez
Rogers/Haase
Baddoo

i could see that being a reasonably good offense. 

I haven’t seen enough sample from McKinstry or Carpenter to count on them at this point. We should know better by the end of the season.  

5 hours ago, chasfh said:

I can't see us making any moves along the lines of trading future for someone to help us win now. First of all, I don't see who we have among our prospects that can unlock a difference maker for us today. Secondly, I don't believe just one player would be able to put us over the top. We would need at least two, maybe three.

I think we will ride or die with who we have in the system right now, barring a surprisingly fruitful waiver pickup. If we still sneak into the postseason with who we have now, what a coup that would be!

It may change his mind about moving some players. Like....relievers?

57 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I could see us moving a suddenly-hot, rather-aged McKinstry for a decent prospect. 

I could see us trading 2 or 3 starting pitchers. And a couple or few relief pitchers. If we are 10+ games out at the trade deadline, I would be more surprised if we didn't. 

1 hour ago, Sports_Freak said:

I could see us trading 2 or 3 starting pitchers. And a couple or few relief pitchers. If we are 10+ games out at the trade deadline, I would be more surprised if we didn't. 

The only two candidates I can see are Rodriguez and Lorenzen, and they are both rentals with inconsistent history, so we would have to rely on Scott Harris magic to extract sustainable value in trade for either of them.