05/29/2023 1:10 pm EDT Texas Rangers vs Detroit Tigers

casimir

Wondering when Space Force has to pony people up for this sort of thing.  Perhaps when they actually have battlefield casualties.  Not that they won't at some point in the future.  They might claim the Apollo 1 and the two Space Shuttle disasters. 

5 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Bases loaded no outs—too many innings of late when they do not score when they get here. Let's break that cycle here.

Classic 2023 Tigers...still a few too many offensive ass bats in the lineup...Ibanez can go.

First of all, Dan Dickerson continues to be arguably the best and most honest play-by-play broadcaster in baseball. On reviews, he always take a position on whether the play should be upheld or overturned, which I really appreciate, because I do, too. So many other broadcasters would look at the same play, even when it's totally obvious, and still be like, "ooooh, that's so close, can't really tell", as if they can't bring themselves to come down on the side of the play itself when it looks as though their employer might come out on the short end of the review.

Secondly, Andy Dirks is becoming a favorite analyst of mine, not only because he's good at analysis and also good at talking about it, but also because he's got a terrific rapport with Dan. They just went through a comic thing where Dan said he thought Ibanez was out as the play was going on, the replay showed Dan was right, and Andy started joking how Dan is always 100% right on these, and they maybe don't even need a crew in New York to confirm the call, they should just call Dan. It doesn't read very fun when I type it out, but it sounded very fun while they doing going through it on air.

I think I would be quite happy if Andy Dirks were to become the new permanent radio analyst for the Detroit Tigers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, chasfh said:

First of all, Dan Dickerson continues to be arguably the best and most honest play-by-play broadcaster in baseball. On reviews, he always take a position on whether the play should be upheld or overturned, which I really appreciate, because I do, too. So many other broadcasters would look at the same play, even when it's totally obvious, and still be like, "ooooh, that's so close, can't really tell", as if they can't bring themselves to come down on the side of the play itself when it looks as though their employer might come out on the short end of the review.

Secondly, Andy Dirks is becoming a favorite analyst of mine, not only because he's good at analysis and also good at talking about it, but also because he's got a terrific rapport with Dan. They just went through a comic thing where Dan said he thought Ibanez was out as the play was going on, the replay showed Dan was right, and Andy started joking how Dan is always 100% right on these, and they maybe don't even need a crew in New York to confirm the call, they should just call Dan. It doesn't read very fun when I type it out, but it sounded very fun while they doing going through it on air.

I think I would be quite happy if Andy Dirks were to become the new permanent radio analyst for the Detroit Tigers.

My only issue with Dan, that I've noticed this season, is that he  occasionally calls the pitch based on what the automated strike zone says, not how the ump calls it. Examples:

"That's a really good slider that just nipped the plate ...(two seconds pause) ... you've got to be given those calls, hard to pitch at a 3-1 count now when you know the count should be even at two".

"Fastball low and JUST outside ...(two seconds pause)...really don't understand how you can call that a strike".

That's hard as a listener relying on the radio and not seeing the TV scoreboard.

Edited by lordstanley

1 minute ago, lordstanley said:

My only issue with Dan, that I've noticed this season, is that will occasionally call the pitch based on what the automated strike zone says, not how the ump calls it. Examples:

"That's a really good slider that just nipped the plate ...(two seconds pause) ... you've got to be given those calls, hard to pitch at a 3-1 count now when you know the count should be even at two".

"Fastball low and JUST outside ...(two seconds pause)...really don't understand how you can call that a strike".

I can see why people wouldn't like that. I have also heard him make a call such as safe or out and then have to reverse it.

Eventually leaving all these runners on base is gonna catch up to this pitching and we're gonna see a some big losing streaks.  This team really needs to get Carpenter back and try to bring Malloy up and see if that can help this offense.  We knew the pitching would be sketchy...but having dead bats in the lineup is dumb, they should try any/every other offensive option to help the ass pitching.

Edited by Dtrain72

1 minute ago, lordstanley said:

My only issue with Dan, that I've noticed this season, is that will occasionally call the pitch based on what the automated strike zone says, not how the ump calls it. Examples:

I do think that Dan is focusing too much on the TV feed for his calls in general. There were two instances in one of the White Sox games (I forget which) where he sounded like he was fooled on deep fly balls; in one case, it was a catch where it seemed like he thought the ball was over the fielder's head; in the other, he sounded like he was about to go into a home run call on a ball that hit at the base of the wall. In both cases, the camera angle being shown seemed like it contributed to an optical illusion that I suspect wouldn't have been apparent when actually watching the field.

To your specific point, though, while I agree on the strike zone thing, Dan did make it a point to say at one point (also in the past few days) that the automated zone is in 2-D, while of course the actual zone is in 3-D, so pitches like curveballs could nip the zone while appearing to be outside to the automated zone.