05/29/2023 1:10 pm EDT Texas Rangers vs Detroit Tigers

casimir

The Tigers season could play out like the Red Wings' completed season. Play OK for the first several months, hover around fringe of playoff contention/.500, win against teams they should, lose against better teams against which they are clearly outmatched, then if there is a selloff at trade deadline fall off the rest of the year.

Edited by lordstanley

4 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

I'm just turning on the game so I have no idea how Boyd actually looked last inning but it appears that Hinch may have gotten a little greedy trying to squeeze an extra inning out of Boyd there. 

Well, Boyd actually looked pretty good save for the 3 ball he gave up to Seager.  He entered the 7th with a pitch count in check.  It was the bottom of the batting order.  I don't know, maybe it was too greedy. 

At the same time, Texas is a pretty good hitting ball club.  Faedo tomorrow and TBD on Wednesday.  Off day on Thursday.  Faedo has looked good, but we have to remember he is the 7th/8th SP coming into this season, and I don't think he's shown enough to assume more than 5 or 6.  The 3rd game of the season is kind of unknown right now.  Maybe squeezing another inning out of Boyd helps that future strategy.

Ultimately, this game came down to Texas scoring some of its baserunners (and they had more of them) and Detroit stranding them.  Can't win with a goose egg.

4 hours ago, casimir said:

Well, Boyd actually looked pretty good save for the 3 ball he gave up to Seager.  He entered the 7th with a pitch count in check.  It was the bottom of the batting order.  I don't know, maybe it was too greedy. 

yup, letting Boyd start the 7th didn't save the BP a single pitce because he didn't get anyone out, which is often the way it goes in that situation. Of course OTOH, when you get shut out post mortems on pitching management decisions are moot.

As if Ibanez 1 for 40 wasnt bad enough the only time he reached safely outside of that hit was a HBP. Atleast when Chris Davis had that legendary hitless streak a few years back he was atleast drawing some walks but not Ibanez.

Id have to imagine him only producing a single and HBP in his last 41 PAs maybe one of the handful or so least productive stretches of that amount of PAs in baseball history among non pitchers.

17 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

It would be nice to get atleast 1 real slugger in the lineup, the prototypical 30HR type guy. I love the how they are drawing walks but drawing a ton of walks with no power limits your potential run output no matter how many walks and singles you hit. 

TORK! is going to be this, and who knows, maybe Greene will be something close. Eventually, though, just not right now. Otherwise, need to get someone like this on the market, and it's probably going to be at least a couple of winters before the Tigers become an attractive landing spot to a slugger like that.

I think the main thing to remember about 30-year-old Ibanez is that he was never intended to be a piece for the future. He is a stopgap piece for right now, and that's it, because even while an organization is rebuilding, they still have to run players out onto the field at Comerica Park in the meantime.

OK, so, why don't we simply dump Ibanez and any other player the second they start struggling and just find someone to replace them? Because giving in to that urge would lead to chaos. This whole organization is lousy with has-beens and AAAA players and non-prospects, and they are almost all going to have stretches like this at some point. If we dumped players the second they started struggling and then scrambled around the market and waiver wire desperately seeking replacements, we'd be going through that process literally every week, which would make us look like an organization out of control, which would not be attractive to players who might be called upon to make the decision to play here. It's part of a long game, I think, to appear to be an organization working to fix itself and get back on its feet instead of an organization just flinging poo on the wall to find quick solutions to immediate problems every week. This probably isn't the entire reason, but I'd bet it's a pretty big reason.

16 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I think the main thing to remember about 30-year-old Ibanez is that he was never intended to be a piece for the future. He is a stopgap piece for right now, and that's it, because even while an organization is rebuilding, they still have to run players out onto the field at Comerica Park in the meantime.

OK, so, why don't we simply dump Ibanez and any other player the second they start struggling and just find someone to replace them? Because giving in to that urge would lead to chaos. This whole organization is lousy with has-beens and AAAA players and non-prospects, and they are almost all going to have stretches like this at some point. If we dumped players the second they started struggling and then scrambled around the market and waiver wire desperately seeking replacements, we'd be going through that process literally every week, which would make us look like an organization out of control, which would not be attractive to players who might be called upon to make the decision to play here. It's part of a long game, I think, to appear to be an organization working to fix itself and get back on its feet instead of an organization just flinging poo on the wall to find quick solutions to immediate problems every week. This probably isn't the entire reason, but I'd bet it's a pretty big reason.

You are thinking too much!  They have to use guys like Ibanez because they suck and nobody good wants to play in Detroit but they can't drop him because it will make it look like an unattractive place to play!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

You are thinking too much!  They have to use guys like Ibanez because they suck and nobody good wants to play in Detroit but they can't drop him because it will make it look like an unattractive place to play!  

That's another way to put it!