06/02/2023 8:10pm EDT Detroit Tigers vs Chicago White Sox

casimir

5 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

If Harris is interested in taking advantage of a weak AL Central, he’s going to need to find a few more hitters. Carpenter may be one, but this team can’t sustain giving so many AB’s to Maton, Ibanez, Nevin, Marisnick and Schoop.  I’d include Miggy in that list, but he’s not going anywhere.

Believe it or not, Cabrera has had a good week or so ~ 370 OBP in his last 30 PA.

Edited by gehringer_2

The offseason dumpster diving was both a noble and necessary effort.  However, most of these guys need to be returned.  I know Lipcius isn’t tearing the cover off the ball, but I’d rather see him and Kreidler called up.  They might not do better (would hard to be worse), but at least it would be developmental.

4 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

The offseason dumpster diving was both a noble and necessary effort.  However, most of these guys need to be returned.  I know Lipcius isn’t tearing the cover off the ball, but I’d rather see him and Kreidler called up.  They might not do better (would hard to be worse), but at least it would be developmental.

With all the failed experiments at third, Kreidler's defense would have helped stabilize the position but I'm not sure if he's healthy yet. He looked really good there last year and had value defensively at least. 

44 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

If Harris is interested in taking advantage of a weak AL Central, he’s going to need to find a few more hitters. Carpenter may be one, but this team can’t sustain giving so many AB’s to Maton, Ibanez, Nevin, Marisnick and Schoop.  I’d include Miggy in that list, but he’s not going anywhere.

Harris has made it clear there was no intention to compete for anything this year. It is an experimental year to find out what pieces fit where. When a couple of sub .200 hitters cannot or will not be out right released, or something else will not be tried, there just reallay anything to say because things speak for themselves.

8 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Kreidler is on rehab in West Michigan at the moment

9 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Whom should we go after, and whom should we offer in trade for them?

2 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Kreidler is on rehab in West Michigan at the moment

I understand.  I’m assuming he could be ready in a week or two.

And I concede that Harris has his work cut out for himself.  But he also put himself in this position to some degree with his offseason moves.  There really haven’t been any real surprises, save for the ERod and Greene injuries, which I don’t want to trivialize.  I think he was hoping on bounceback seasons or improved development from younger players.  Baez and Schoop have been consistently bad year over year. Could not have expected much from Miggy.  Had to expect some injuries along the way.

It will be hard to improve externally at this point.  He’d have to be willing to move Colt Keith, likely, which would be a mistake.

When healthy, I’d bring up Carpenter, Lipcius and Kreidler in place of Ibanez, Nevin and Maton.  I still like Maton, but think he would benefit from some time at Toledo.  

It’s just unfortunate that we don’t have better organizational depth to plug holes—the division is very winnable this year.  Unfortunately, we’re not in much of a position to capitalize.

• Like 1