06/02/2023 8:10pm EDT Detroit Tigers vs Chicago White Sox

casimir

2 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

Today is the Armando non-perfect perfect game anniversary. Many people on MTS know the rules better than I do. But is this guy (who should have been the 27th out) out of the baseline?

Screenshot_20230602_155642_Twitter.thumb.jpg.79e98a5db8eb7bf0cef09955f39a6825.jpg

Yes he was. Very similar play happened in a Tiger game recently and the home plate umpire called the runner out.

3 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

Today is the Armando non-perfect perfect game anniversary. Many people on MTS know the rules better than I do. But is this guy (who should have been the 27th out) out of the baseline?

Screenshot_20230602_155642_Twitter.thumb.jpg.79e98a5db8eb7bf0cef09955f39a6825.jpg

My understanding of the baseline rules (which, granted, is about as far from expert-level as possible) is that they only apply when they materially affect the play. Donald's being out of the baseline running to 1st base didn't cause any of the defense to alter their movements or obstruct a throw or anything like that, so at the very least calling him out on this technicality would be against the spirit of the rules.

7 minutes ago, clark1mt said:

My understanding of the baseline rules (which, granted, is about as far from expert-level as possible) is that they only apply when they materially affect the play. Donald's being out of the baseline running to 1st base didn't cause any of the defense to alter their movements or obstruct a throw or anything like that, so at the very least calling him out on this technicality would be against the spirit of the rules.

The play I referenced was the pitcher fielding the ball and throwing behind the runner to first. I don't know the whole rule but that makes sense.