08/20/2022 1:40pm EDT Detroit Tigers at Cleveland Guardians

casimir

1 hour ago, Hart said:

There are a few teams that have legitimate lineup depth but maybe the key to scoring runs is to just find 4-5 hitters that are good enough to overcome what you have to throw out there with the bottom of the order.  The Tigers feel like they are close to breaking out now and being a good team.  I don't think 3 good bats is enough to overcome the slumps players inevitably go thru unless you have a stud pitching staff.  Need at least 1 more legitimate bat, preferably 2.   

They’re going to have to acquire one.  It’s difficult to assume all 3 of Carpenter, Malloy, and Keith are going to make it.  Maybe Bigbie should be tossed into that group as well.  Plus these are all young hitters.  Is it wise to have Baez as the grizzled veteran bat in an otherwise peach fuzzy lineup?

The only free agent hitter that intrigues me is 3B Travis Chapman.  But the combination of he being one of the best free agents in a poor crop and the possibility of Keith being the 3B of the future make a run at him unlikely.  Although Harris could decide to go after him and use in house players as trade bait for other players (established or prospects).

All that aside, it’s just nice to have a few prospects look forward to.  Thankfully Avila was wise to draft Greene and not overthink on Torkelson.  Give Avila his due there, although I question bringing them up last season.  And then out of nowhere comes Carpenter.  This trio factoring in among the top five or six in the lineup once other sticks are added will be fun to watch.

7 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

I think he should have caught the ball like Dan said though you make a good point that the sun can be tough. He just does not handle the wall well and even less so after his injury.

Part of his problem was the generally poor route he took to the ball, something he does more than we’d like to see.

8 hours ago, chasfh said:

Javier Baez. Love him or hate him, you will be entertained.

I don't either love him or hate him.  When he first signed, I wasn't really excited, but I felt he was a big upgrade over what they had.  After seeing him, I still don't like him but I don't hate him as much as others do because of his defense.   

Edited by Tiger337

2 hours ago, casimir said:

They’re going to have to acquire one.  It’s difficult to assume all 3 of Carpenter, Malloy, and Keith are going to make it.  Maybe Bigbie should be tossed into that group as well.  Plus these are all young hitters.  Is it wise to have Baez as the grizzled veteran bat in an otherwise peach fuzzy lineup?

The only free agent hitter that intrigues me is 3B Travis Chapman.  But the combination of he being one of the best free agents in a poor crop and the possibility of Keith being the 3B of the future make a run at him unlikely.  Although Harris could decide to go after him and use in house players as trade bait for other players (established or prospects).

All that aside, it’s just nice to have a few prospects look forward to.  Thankfully Avila was wise to draft Greene and not overthink on Torkelson.  Give Avila his due there, although I question bringing them up last season.  And then out of nowhere comes Carpenter.  This trio factoring in among the top five or six in the lineup once other sticks are added will be fun to watch.

We have 3 bats that we like, Greene, Torkelson, and Carpenter.  Those are every day players.  We would like to add 3 more, Meadows, Malloy and Keith.  I feel good about them, especially Malloy the RHB who puts up a .400 OBP and a .45O SLG no matter which level of the minors he plays at.  And Baddoo is trying to sneak into the conversation again.  So that is 7 bats we could optimistically hope for, but they can't all play at once because 5 of them are OF/DH.  So that's only 6 spots filled, with a bat on the bench.  Keith plays third.

Baez plays short, and somebody catches.  That is 8 spots.  What is left over?  2B.  Wenceel is the only guy who is even close, I know that the evaluators don't like him, but get him up here for the whole month of September.  If he doesn't cut it, that is your offseason target, second base, by trade or FA.

Javy's been almost what I expected with the exception of one very big thing and that is the HR power. I figured he'd be a liability at the plate with his avg and OBP but he could offset that a bit by hitting 25+ bombs a year presumably more than a few in high leverage situations but sadly that hasn't been the case. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

7 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

We have 3 bats that we like, Greene, Torkelson, and Carpenter.  Those are every day players.  We would like to add 3 more, Meadows, Malloy and Keith.  I feel good about them, especially Malloy the RHB who puts up a .400 OBP and a .45O SLG no matter which level of the minors he plays at.  And Baddoo is trying to sneak into the conversation again.  So that is 7 bats we could optimistically hope for, but they can't all play at once because 5 of them are OF/DH.  So that's only 6 spots filled, with a bat on the bench.  Keith plays third.

Baez plays short, and somebody catches.  That is 8 spots.  What is left over?  2B.  Wenceel is the only guy who is even close, I know that the evaluators don't like him, but get him up here for the whole month of September.  If he doesn't cut it, that is your offseason target, second base, by trade or FA.

That's if they all stay healthy and pan out.  The baseball prospect game isn't always successful.

2B is a reasonable position to target.  What does San Diego want for Ha-Seong Kim (arbitration through 2026)?  Are they looking to shed salary?  Could SP Joe Musgrove be available as well?  Would chancing SP Yu Darvish into an age 41 season at $16M be completely ridiculous?

7 minutes ago, casimir said:

That's if they all stay healthy and pan out.  The baseball prospect game isn't always successful.

2B is a reasonable position to target.  What does San Diego want for Ha-Seong Kim (arbitration through 2026)?  Are they looking to shed salary?  Could SP Joe Musgrove be available as well?  Would chancing SP Yu Darvish into an age 41 season at $16M be completely ridiculous?

I don't think I want 5 years of Yu Darvish unless someone really outstanding is coming along with him.  Remember when he was the love child of Sandy Koufax and Pedro Martinez?  Although, $15 million a year for a starter does not break the bank, so maybe you'd think about it.