08/20/2022 1:40pm EDT Detroit Tigers at Cleveland Guardians

casimir

2 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Javier Baez. Love him or hate him, you will be entertained.

The highs are very high and the lows are very low. 

Hopefully he’ll start to see better pitchers as the guys ahead of him continue to improve (and we find an established bat in he offseason to provide protection).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I don’t fault him for the dropped ball—looks like he was struggling with the sun out there.

I think he should have caught the ball like Dan said though you make a good point that the sun can be tough. He just does not handle the wall well and even less so after his injury.

3 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

Has Verling's offense gone down since he started playing third and outfield ? I still think he is a great right fielder and should just play there and call that position done for 2024. Just find a third baseman or give it to Keith.

I don't know if that's the reason for his offense going down, but I do think multi-position guys can be prone to struggling defensively and perhaps even offensively from having having so much to think about.  It's good to have a player like that on the team, but I don't know if like the trend of having multiple multi guys!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SoCalTiger said:

I think he should have caught the ball like Dan said though you make a good point that the sun can be tough. He just does not handle the wall well and even less so after his injury.

I don't know how the Tigers handle OF positioning vs the sun. Back in the day when guys mostly decided where to play on their own, a guy could cheat a little to which ever side keep the sun out of the play in more of his field. You'd given up a step or two of what you can reach for the benefit of having fewer plays in the sun. I'd be curious if they still let guys have that freedom that the positioning being driven by analytics.

2 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I don't know if that's the reason for his offense going down, but I do think multi-position guys can be prone to struggling defensively and perhaps even offensively from having having so much to think about.  It's good to have a player like that on the team, but I don't know if like the trend of having multiple multi guys!

IDK - I'd see it if a guy was struggling, or maybe 3B still makes him nervous,  but Vierling should be be feeling pretty good about his play at 3B.

Edited by gehringer_2

18 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

If you saw the play he did make coming in, it actually showed some more of the limitation of his glove work. The ball was sinking and instead of reversing his wrist to get his pocket down, he locked into an unnecessarily hard catch with his glove facing down on a sinking ball below his waist. You see this a lot  - guys relying on athleticism to make plays that would require less if they had developed more technique.

Edited by gehringer_2

18 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

Has Verling's offense gone down since he started playing third and outfield ? I still think he is a great right fielder and should just play there and call that position done for 2024. Just find a third baseman or give it to Keith.

He started playing third August 1. There was a game in July where he played one inning at third.

wRC+ per month

April 107

May 55

June 202

July 84

August 67

He was already starting a downward trend in July and is still higher than May.

34 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I don’t fault him for the dropped ball—looks like he was struggling with the sun out there.

I think the Carpenter is bad at defense stuff is overblown. Many defensive metrics rank him as decent. Yes, he's a had a few muffs at the wall, although today it was the sun more than anything. 

• Like 2

Just now, Tigermojo said:

Season series wins against Minnesota and Cleveland!

calvin-and-hobbes-happy-dance.gif

A game over .500 since the All-Star break, almost entirely on the backs of Greene, Tork, and Carpenter, and to a lesser extent Badoo (at least on offense). Easy upgrade to offense next year will be to get some power from the DH position (Malloy?).