09/15/2023 9:38pm EDT Detroit Tigers vs Los Angeles Angels

casimir

1 minute ago, AZTigersfan said:

I guess we’re going to have to agree to disagree on that one. 

The Tigers have one of the worst offenses in the league.  I’d be pleased as heck if speedy guys like Baddoo, Vierling, Meadows, etc, figured out how to bunt to get on base with some regularity.  And I wouldn’t care when they employed the tactic.  Just get on base.

1 minute ago, casimir said:

The Tigers have one of the worst offenses in the league.  I’d be pleased as heck if speedy guys like Baddoo, Vierling, Meadows, etc, figured out how to bunt to get on base with some regularity.  And I wouldn’t care when they employed the tactic.  Just get on base.

I’d prefer they’’d develop as a hitter enough to not rely on bunting, but that’s just me I suppose. 

36 minutes ago, holygoat said:

Bunting to break up a no-no is never bush league, but especially not in the 4th inning of a 3-0 game.

Right, a batter's job is to help his team score runs.  If bunting helps his team score runs, then he has done his job.  Helping his opponent achieve goals should not be on his mind at all.  

Edited by Tiger337
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

No hitter should "rely" on bunting but an occasional bunt hit that catches the opponent by surprise is a good thing.  

Rely might be the sticking point here. The gentleman I was responding to said “with regularity,” which I swapped with rely. Regardless, I’m just not a fan of bunting outside of occasionally moving a runner. Just my opinion. 

10 minutes ago, AZTigersfan said:

Rely might be the sticking point here. The gentleman I was responding to said “with regularity,” which I swapped with rely. Regardless, I’m just not a fan of bunting outside of occasionally moving a runner. Just my opinion. 

There are very limited cases where a hitter should be moving a runner over with a bunt.  In general, I don't like giving up outs.  I like if a hitter can bunt for a hit if he's good at it (which most of them aren't).  

Skubal featuring 99 on the FB several times tonight. Hot gun maybe. 

Torkelson with some opposite field approach in a couple of his AB. Good sign.

Javy put up some numbers tonight but he is still showing the backswing before getting the bat moving forward. Javy should go to winter ball and figure out how to leave the hitch there before he returns.

1 hour ago, holygoat said:

Bunting to break up a no-no is never bush league, but especially not in the 4th inning of a 3-0 game.

Agreed, but it was against the Angels that some Halo bunted in the infamous Verlander v Jared Weaver classic in 2012 (the one where Weaver got tossed after almost beaning Alex Avila after Guillen homered and showboated in retaliation for JW jawing at Maggs for "watching" one he hit and made sure it stayed fair) and Verlander had a no-hitter going. And if any of you saw that game like I did, Verlander was PISSED and did his own eyeballing. This was late in the game.

So yeah....in a late game situation like this one...bunting for a hit was (I would say) a little "bush-league".

I came into this game in the bottom of the 7th. GREAT timing.

Edited by TigersForever1256