09/15/2023 9:38pm EDT Detroit Tigers vs Los Angeles Angels

casimir

2 minutes ago, romad1 said:

With 67 wins and 16 games remaining...our final win total prediction?   Best case feels like 75. 

6 games in Los Angeles and 4 at Oakland followed by 3 vs Kansas City and 3 vs Cleveland.  The trip along the Pacific has me taking below 75.  I realize that, aside from the Dodgers, these final series are against comparable or worse records.  But I don't think the road trip is going to go well.

1 hour ago, casimir said:

6 games in Los Angeles and 4 at Oakland followed by 3 vs Kansas City and 3 vs Cleveland.  The trip along the Pacific has me taking below 75.  I realize that, aside from the Dodgers, these final series are against comparable or worse records.  But I don't think the road trip is going to go well.

Crazy winning streak that gets us to 83+ wins seems right out of the question. 

4 hours ago, romad1 said:

With 67 wins and 16 games remaining...our final win total prediction?   Best case feels like 75. 

I said at the beginning of the year we'd be north of 75 wins, so I'm rooting for that.

I also think there might be a psychological thing related to losing 90 versus losing 80-something that might give us some marginal edge in the offseason free agent market.

19 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I said at the beginning of the year we'd be north of 75 wins, so I'm rooting for that.

I also think there might be a psychological thing related to losing 90 versus losing 80-something that might give us some marginal edge in the offseason free agent market.

this team felt like a .500 caliber team all year.  The horrid slumps at the beginning of the season and we had another in there ICR when but it didn't see we were as awful as a sub-70 win team. 

37 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I don't know that they'll make it to 75, but I feel solid about beating 90 losses at this point.

27 minutes ago, romad1 said:

this team felt like a .500 caliber team all year. 

I never felt this offense was even close to average, and it's still going to be a long way away next season without a lot of luck or money. There is only so much you can expect to do on the run prevention end, and the Tigers have done a better job there already.

13 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I never felt this offense was even close to average, and it's still going to be a long way away next season without a lot of luck or money. There is only so much you can expect to do on the run prevention end, and the Tigers have done a better job there already.

This is all rose-colored glasses for the ideal conditions of playing on the road (why we aren't good at home is weird) and having the big three with some help from Jake Rogers and others.

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

It does seem hard to believe that the Tigers, with 580, have scored fewer runs than any team in MLB except for Oakland. Despite the emergence of Tork, Carpenter and Greene.  Even 21 runs fewer than KC! It didn't seem THAT bad, although maybe that's just because of my low expectations going in based on past years and because the pitching kept the Tigers in most games. Runs Allowed is 19th in MLB and Runs Differential is 25th, so are we lucky to even be 67-79? Doesn't feel like it, but ...

Edited by lordstanley

11 hours ago, casimir said:

The Motor City Kitties will finish this season  9-7.  76-86 on the year.

Fix the lineup and we’ll see that record inverted next year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

I will be in attendance tonight as I have been every year since 1997. I can’t even remember the last time we won so sorry about jinxing our chances. Last year I saw Miggy in LA and he homered so all hope is not lost.  A repeat would be cool as they say here. Still sounds funny to me. 

If he plays and homers tonight it is possible that you will have the privilege of seeing his last ever MLB home run. Try to grab the baseball if he does, should be worth a pair of tickets to next year’s Angels-Tigers game,  

2 hours ago, lordstanley said:

If he plays and homers tonight it is possible that you will have the privilege of seeing his last ever MLB home run. Try to grab the baseball if he does, should be worth a pair of tickets to next year’s Angels-Tigers game,  

Well I’m at first base in foul ground and   don’t think my arms are long enough 😀

2 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

The Motor City Kitties will finish this season  9-7.  76-86 on the year.

Fix the lineup and we’ll see that record inverted next year.

Just don't get off to another horrid start.   The last 3 years the team was out of it by May 15th.   Just can't happen again, can it?  

Nothing makes me believe Casey Mize will be good in 2024.    Seems like it takes a year of pitching for the TJ guys to be right again.     If E-Rod leaves I think they'll need to sign TWO starting pitchers (well, probably have to sign 2 anyway, even if E-Rod stays).   If they can figure out a shoe guard that won't hinder his pitching, Matt Manning needs to wear it.  At least it's not an arm injury.    I think we all believe Colt Keith will come north from ST, but he could struggle like Tork did.   Greene needs to stay healthy, they really need to get 130 games out of him at least.   Next year they will figure out if Carp is the real thing or Brennan Boesch 2.0.   We have no idea what they're gonna do with Malloy.  Seems like the guy couldn't catch a cold.  Is he the DH that occasionally plays LF next year?      We are hoping for Baez to bolt, but is someone else going to pay him anything close to what the Tigers are?     Jury's still out on Parker Meadows - he's a human highlight reel, but he's quite overmatched at the plate.    I don't mind Ibanez and McKinstry being back, but not as starters.   Is Carson Kelly any better than Eric Haase?   Is Dillon Dingler close to being good enough defensively?    I am a fan of having Matt Vierling around and could he solve the third base issue?   Is there a Free Agent infielder/high OBP guy available?   The Tigers would likely have to overpay like they did with Pudge in '04.      Is Justice Bigbie the next Carpenter?    Is their life outside our Solar System?    So many questions...........