09/20/2023 10:10pm EDT Detroit Tigers vs Los Angeles Dodgers

casimir

8 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

Hey there's Jason Heyward, still built like a marble sculpture of a Greek God.  He's got a good year going, missed some time with injuries of course, and has an OPS of .857, the highest of his career. If he can sustain that to the end of the year, it will be only the second time since 2012 that he has had an OPS of over .800, and fourth time in a 14-year career.  And that is just freaking amazing, how little he accomplished after his rookie performance at the age of 20.

Yes, all good observations including ...missed some time with injuries of course...

This is also another reason why it is not really conclusive for anyone to think just because a player is not 25 and under they do not fit on a 'winning' team or in their plans. Sure, they may not be a 'core player', but heck a core player could even be a 27-30 year old (prime for most). This is why you take extended looks at the Vierling's, Maton's, Nevin's, etc.

Players also progress, change and hit their stride at different times. This is also why teams (including winning teams) bring in veteran players, especially those who have 'won' before as they can help in several ways (aka JHayward).

Actually a team filled with all players 25 and under is going to be a minor league team.

I remember on the old board when Heyward first became a FA back in I believe 2015, I was so adament about us throwing whatever it took to get him. 

I think I remember saying something like "Theres no FA in a long time that I want to sign more than Heyward." 

At that time I was of the belief that he was gonna hit his potential offensively along with his already elite defense, plus the kicker being how young he was so you really wouldn't have been paying for many past his prime years. 

Of course until this year he never did hit those offensive numbers I was expecting so we dodged a bullet not signing him then but anytime he is brought up I think back to the man crush I had on him that offseason.

Edited by RandyMarsh

39 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I remember on the old board when Heyward first became a FA back in I believe 2015, I was so adament about us throwing whatever it took to get him. 

I think I remember saying something like "Theres no FA in a long time that I want to sign more than Heyward." 

At that time I was of the belief that he was gonna hit his potential offensively along with his already elite defense, plus the kicker being how young he was so you really wouldn't have been paying for many past his prime years. 

Of course until this year he never did hit those offensive numbers I was expecting so we dodged a bullet not signing him then but anytime he is brought up I think back to the man crush I had on him that offseason.

Yeah, he was coming off a downballot MVP year with the Cardinals, which is why the Cubs threw 8/168 at him. It seemed reasonable to believe that this 26-year-old coming off several 5+ win seasons had a lot of great years left in him, and then he just collapsed with the Cubs. Now he has a career revival as soon as he goes to the Dodgers. Just goes to prove again how much what system you’re playing in can really matter.