09/20/2023 10:10pm EDT Detroit Tigers vs Los Angeles Dodgers

casimir

7 minutes ago, KL2 said:

Ticker: Brenan Hanifee is set to make his major league debut for the Tigers

KL2: Neat...who the hell is Brenan Hanifee?

I don’t know who the hell he is, but I can take a hack at what the hell he is: a low-level risk to throw out there because we are contractually obligated to throw somebody in the system out there. If he does well, nice, we’ll give him a look next spring. If he trips up, no problem, he’s gone, next.

Edited by chasfh

Just now, chasfh said:

I don’t know who the hell he is, but I can take a hack at what the hell is he: a low-level risk to throw out there because we are contractually obligated to throw somebody in the system out there. If he does well, nice, we’ll give him a look next spring. If he barfs, no problem, he’s gone, next.

Oh agreed. 

I just found it funny i had to be like who and learn he's been at Triple A all year for us. Who knew?

Former 4th round pick of the Orioles. One of the first minor league free agents the Tigers jumped on last year (usually a sign he was a priority). Had TJ surgery in May 2021 and got back late last season, so was still kinda on the rebound over the course of this year. I wonder if this means they planned on protecting him this offseason.

31 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

This is not really meant to be snide, but meant to be more pondery food for thought.

How can y'all be in a position to judge the job Scott Harris has done when you don't even know who Brenan Hanifee is?

True, but the same can be said of any GM.  There's always stuff that they know which fans don't know (a lot of it more obscure than who Hanifee is).  Same goes for Al Avila and Randy Smith.  

50 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

This is not really meant to be snide, but meant to be more pondery food for thought.

How can y'all be in a position to judge the job Scott Harris has done when you don't even know who Brenan Hanifee is?

well, equally not to be snide (:classic_wink:) that is why they publish the game scores. Players don't really become individuals in the minors until they distinguish themselves enough to be noticed as individuals. So you can follow the general outlines of what the minor league system is doing without having memorized many of the names. You start remembering the names when they start doing memorable stuff. Turn it around, how many Dodger bios do you need to know on a one to one basis to understand those are good players, a good team, and a good system?

Hanifee is another in a line of injury rehab guys they've picked up hoping he might end up better than he was before the arm trouble. He's another roll of the dice until he proves he's more.

Edited by gehringer_2

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Like KL2 I had no idea who Hanifee was, totally wasn't on my radar. Of course when I scour the Tigers minor league system I tend to focus on the guys who are considered legit or on the cusp of being legit prospects and not castoffs like a Hanifee so I can see why I never paid any attention to him. 

Did Hinch name him closer yet? 🤣🤣

Hey there's Jason Heyward, still built like a marble sculpture of a Greek God.  He's got a good year going, missed some time with injuries of course, and has an OPS of .857, the highest of his career. If he can sustain that to the end of the year, it will be only the second time since 2012 that he has had an OPS of over .800, and fourth time in a 14-year career.  And that is just freaking amazing, how little he accomplished after his rookie performance at the age of 20.

Edited by Jim Cowan

6 minutes ago, AZTigersfan said:

Mckinstry has over 400 ABs on the season and a .292 OPS in his last 30. This guy cannot be more than an extremely limited role player next year.

I agree.  He will get lots of rope, along with Vierling and Maton, to justify the Harris transactions.  But you can't carry all 3 of them.  Maybe not even 2 of them.

26 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

Over this coming winter he has to be penciled in as a lock for the rotation, with a WHIP of 1.11 as of right now.

Righ now it's Skubal, Mize, Manning, Olson.  Hopefully, they add a dependable veteran to the mix to replace Rodriguez.  Also, hopefully none of them break before the season starts.