2023 Preseason Thread

slothfacekilla

2 minutes ago, slothfacekilla said:

Honestly I think the kid could play in the NHL right now, but it might be beneficial to send him to juniors to dominate.

out of all the young players they have, him and edvinsson have looked ready to play in the nhl.  danielson has been a guy who looks like a slightly smaller jonathan toews (with lots of room to fill out).  a do it all center.  jack of all trades master of most.  but not the elite speed or shot that gets prospect scouts all hot and bothered.  he'll need to put on 10-15 pounds, but that's doable. 

i know edvinsson got embarassed by bedard but that's going to happen to lots of players.  he also had a couple turns using his reach to send bedard wide and get his stick on bedard's shots.

tuomisto and lombardi have done well too, but not as well as danielson.  kasper has been disappointing to my uneducated eye.

not disappointing: the regular players.  compfer, rasmussen, fabbri, shayne g.  they've looked like solid professional additions that give the wings a lot of real depth of "good" players.

what they miss is what we all know they miss: elite offensive players.  they need raymond, debrincat, and larkin to become a top nhl scoring threat if they want to make the playoffs in this loaded division.

if they were in the west, i would expect them to make it.  not so much in the east.

• Like 1

shame bedard's first preseason goal came against detroit.

wings didnt look great (or horrible) last night.  and it was their c team.

andrew copp still looks like ****, not sure if that's a worry.  veleno scored a couple goals.  ras looked ok.  chairot still turned the puck over and made big hits.  holl looked fine.  danielson was ok but it was probably his worst game of the preseason.  

I think Compher has looked great this pre-season, he brings a lot of little things to his line.  He's basically what I thought Copp was going to be...

Beautiful play and shot by Simon to win it.  Sure he makes some mistakes and takes penalties but he's looked good overall I've thought.  I think he's at least making it tough to send him down.

3 hours ago, lordstanley said:

I had never heard of Alex Lyon, last night goalie. I will start paying attention now with the opener now under a week away. 

He honestly played really solidly for Florida last season, I was happy with his signing (and unhappy with Reimer) and now I'm worried that Lyon is going to get scooped by another team on waivers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shinzaki said:

I hope Danielson gets a nine game audition in Detroit this year...though they may prefer to just park him and leave him in JR's until that season ends and he can play a bit for GR

edit: read your post wrong.

in sum, i cant see him in detroit this year.

Edited by buddha

4 hours ago, buddha said:

edit: read your post wrong.

in sum, i cant see him in detroit this year.

not sure.  he doesn't look out of place at all.    it's possible that the days of parking guys could be over.    If this team stays healthy they could be a surprise this year.     

But of course, we're Detroit, so we know key players will get hurt right away because we can't have nice things here. 

31 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

not sure.  he doesn't look out of place at all.    it's possible that the days of parking guys could be over.    If this team stays healthy they could be a surprise this year.     

But of course, we're Detroit, so we know key players will get hurt right away because we can't have nice things here. 

i should clarify that i dont see him starting in detroit but will get called up at the first injury.

hopefully he forces their hand with chairot and they have to move on from him.

MLive story makes it sound like they're sending Edvinsson out to play Chariot. I'm really done with Ilitch managements that won't commit to where the future clearly has to be - both the Wings and the Tigers. I don't believe for 2 seconds that more time at GR actually 'benefits' Edvinsson. He'll still need to get over an NHL learning curve when he gets there - more time at GR isn't going to change that much.

Edited by gehringer_2

13 minutes ago, buddha said:

what a horrible draft for us that was.

It really is baffling, I have no idea what our scouts were thinking with Cholowski (no hockey IQ) or Givani Smith (can't skate among other things) let alone taking them both in the top 50 picks.  I don't even recognize the fourth or fifth round picks' names at this point and that is saying a lot haha.

Guess this is the opening night roster?

eh0lg788lssb1.jpg