2023 Preseason Thread

slothfacekilla

the A team had a couple blips against toronto's bench guys, but overall they carried the play and ended up winning.  as they should have.

bring on the regular season.  time to see if rollong four lines will work for them.

one observation from tonight is that raymond definitely looks stronger.  not getting pushed around and he's able to keep the puck when people lean on him.

23 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

That leads me to my next question then. Knowing that he played all preseason (I knew he played but wanted to ask it to get to question number two) and knowing that Ben Chiarot blows like Derian Hatcher the Red Wing years, why is a bum like Chiarot starting over Edvinsson?

Mind games with the youngsters? Hoping for lightning in a bottle from guys there really is no reason to expect it from? Who Knows? The only important question is will they move on from the non-performers once they show who they are or will they gnaw the cold dead ends of contracts gone awry.

8 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Mind games with the youngsters? Hoping for lightning in a bottle from guys there really is no reason to expect it from? Who Knows? The only important question is will they move on from the non-performers once they show who they are or will they gnaw the cold dead ends of contracts gone awry.

I don't know what more Yzerman and Lalonde need to see from Chiarot that he shouldn't be here with the team?

37 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Edvinsson can play 20+ minutes in GR and special teams.

Read: more development of skills and more development TOI.

Not guaranteed to get the same in Detroit.

First off, I know at least for now, it isn't realistic to expect Ben Chiarot to go anywhere. I know he isn't going to be sent down to GR or cut, much as I wish we could do that.

Is it more beneficial for Edvinsson to get more minutes in GR to develop or take Chiarot's minutes up here and get big league ice time?

1 hour ago, sagnam said:

I read an article that asked if big minutes in the AHL is really more beneficial given his immense physical talent, wondering if he can get by with talent alone and maybe won’t actually get better there.  Seems like a fair question.

always my same question about leaving hitters in AAA. I think you can get too acclimated once you reach a reasonable level of success against a certain pitching level. Doesn't a guy like Edvinsson need to see and learn to deal with offensive players who do exactly what guys in the AHL can't show him? It's one thing with a guy like McIsaac where you questioned he was ever going to make it at all (and he didn't), but the assumption has to be that Edvinsson is going to play in the NHL.

Edited by gehringer_2

2 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

First off, I know at least for now, it isn't realistic to expect Ben Chiarot to go anywhere. I know he isn't going to be sent down to GR or cut, much as I wish we could do that.

Is it more beneficial for Edvinsson to get more minutes in GR to develop or take Chiarot's minutes up here and get big league ice time?

chiarot is also an alternate captain.  he's obviously a locker room presence and i dont think he's going anywhere.

unfortunately.

i can understand the signing because they were such a weak team and got pushed around all over the ice.  but if you have him, i'm not sure bringing in holl and petry makes a ton of sense.

otoh, there will be injuries and edvinsson will be first man up and will definitely be here next season unless something bad happens.

in fairness, he was good in preseason but still took too many penalties and made some rookie mistakes.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, buddha said:

chiarot is also an alternate captain.  he's obviously a locker room presence and i dont think he's going anywhere.

unfortunately.

i can understand the signing because they were such a weak team and got pushed around all over the ice.  but if you have him, i'm not sure bringing in holl and petry makes a ton of sense.

otoh, there will be injuries and edvinsson will be first man up and will definitely be here next season unless something bad happens.

in fairness, he was good in preseason but still took too many penalties and made some rookie mistakes.

He may have made rookie mistakes but Chiarot makes "I shouldn't be playing hockey at the NHL level mistakes" and looks slow, plodding, and out of position on the ice. Not to mention a -31 differential and terrible Corsi stats. He reminds me a lot of Darien Hatcher, the Red Wing years at this point. Even if he is an alternate captain, that shouldn't excuse his poor play and allow him to stick around. Oh well, Chiarot's going to be here, on the main roster, for likely the entire season. Here's to hoping at age 32 he can turn it around this year.

Hopefully we get to see Simon sooner rather than later and he's ready for primetime. I really want to know what we have in this kid versus what I believe I already know about Chiarot.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

He may have made rookie mistakes but Chiarot makes "I shouldn't be playing hockey at the NHL level mistakes" and looks slow, plodding, and out of position on the ice. Not to mention a -31 differential and terrible Corsi stats. He reminds me a lot of Darien Hatcher, the Red Wing years at this point. Even if he is an alternate captain, that shouldn't excuse his poor play and allow him to stick around. Oh well, Chiarot's going to be here, on the main roster, for likely the entire season. Here's to hoping at age 32 he can turn it around this year.

Hopefully we get to see Simon sooner rather than later and he's ready for primetime. I really want to know what we have in this kid versus what I believe I already know about Chiarot.

It's why I would prefer Chiarot as the 6th or 7th defender.

Walman-Gostisbehere-Maatta on the Left side.

Seider-Petry-Holl on the Right side.

Chiarot only as occasionally needed; even if that means throwing him on the Right side in place of Holl. But limit his minutes. Maybe put him on the ice if the opposition is playing Bully-Lines... 

If there's an injury, Edvinsson is coming up and starting on the 2nd line (1st if it's Walman injured). The rest of the guys outside of Walman, Seider and maybe Petry can be juggled accordingly.

1 hour ago, lordstanley said:

Must be opening day of the new season because Canadian hockey media is picking up where it left off and is losing its mind over something - hockey tape - maybe a couple hundred people in real life care a whitt about one way or the other. 

I certainly care about it, the NHL basically instituting their own Don't Say Gay rule is an awful look for the league in my opinion.  It isn't shocking because hockey culture is one of the most toxic things I have ever experienced but it still is bull**** in my mind.  I have to imagine queer hockey fans care quite a bit, just because it doesn't affect you doesn't mean no one cares about it.

4 hours ago, slothfacekilla said:

I certainly care about it, the NHL basically instituting their own Don't Say Gay rule is an awful look for the league in my opinion.  It isn't shocking because hockey culture is one of the most toxic things I have ever experienced but it still is bull**** in my mind.  I have to imagine queer hockey fans care quite a bit, just because it doesn't affect you doesn't mean no one cares about it.

Pro sports is toxic in many ways. I look to very few, if any, in the industry as role models or fonts of wisdom or moral leaders.  Billionaire owners, some of whom built family empires by nefarious means. Consider how even families with generally good reputations to the average fan, like the Illitches, have pulled a fast one with District Detroit. Coaches who use and abuse, with Babcock I bet being closer to the 2000s norm than an anomaly. Players in the NHL, NFL, NBA and MLB who are as often as not spoiled by riches or immature, not to mention the many, many that have criminal records or cheat on their wives, who gamble or overspend their way into bankruptcy or impregnate a girl in every port or do recreational drugs in the offseason. Those beloved championship teams of my youth? McLain of the '68 Tigers was a crook. The '84 Tigers? Gibby was a jerk. Morris was a jerk. Sure the '97 Wings had bad apples as well. I've seen people who weren't even born when Orr won his Cups or Nicklaus won his majors trash them both as being irredeemable just for being friendly with a certain ex-president. Then you have sportswriters covering all of this who get off on being obnoxious and divisive on air, with some overweight lushes among them being the first to call out Bertuzzi, Djokovic and Rodgers as supposed health threats and terrible humans for not getting vaxxed - I was fully vaxxed but that holier-than-thou scapegoating never sat well with me. Something like 690 of 700 NHL players wore the Pride jersey last season. In a polarized world where there are probably more than 10 NHLers who believe that aliens live among us or that the moon landing was fake, 690 of 700 should have been seen as a huge win. The 10 could have been ignored as irrelevant, rather than villified as the very worst degenerates in the league. But nooooo.... doesn't matter whether someone is a good parent or good spouse or volunteers in offseason or gives to charity, it's all for naught if you don't have the right icon in one's Twitter profile. On a day when there were hundreds of demonstrators in each of downtown Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver - literally steps away from the studios of sports radio stations - cheering the rapes and murders of hundreds of women this weekend, supporting a regime that would gladly throw every last LGBTQ+ off the roof of buildings if they got the chance, to come inside and see that this is what Canadian hockey media was instead up in arms about was surreal. Regardless of what the NHL does or does not do to honor honor gays, soldiers, cancer patients, Asian-Americans, etc., if a person has $150 to spend on a ticket and $100 on a jersey, they will be welcomed into an NHL arena with open arms. Without that cash, regardless of race, ethnicity, creed or orientation, they will be on the outside looking in.

It's time to drop the puck and play some hockey!

On 10/10/2023 at 12:14 PM, 1984Echoes said:

It's why I would prefer Chiarot as the 6th or 7th defender.

Walman-Gostisbehere-Maatta on the Left side.

Seider-Petry-Holl on the Right side.

Chiarot only as occasionally needed; even if that means throwing him on the Right side in place of Holl. But limit his minutes. Maybe put him on the ice if the opposition is playing Bully-Lines... 

If there's an injury, Edvinsson is coming up and starting on the 2nd line (1st if it's Walman injured). The rest of the guys outside of Walman, Seider and maybe Petry can be juggled accordingly.

I'm confident too that Simon's going to be the next call up if we have an injury on the team and I'll be glad to see him in the big league when he finally arrives. Unless Chairot turns it around and rebounds, I want him having as little ice time as possible.

What's everyone's predictions for this season?

Wins/Losses/OTL:

Playoffs (Yay/Nay):

Playoff seeding (if yay above):

Young player to watch:

Here are mine . . .

Wins/Losses/OTL: 41-34-8 

Playoffs (Yay/Nay): Yes

Playoff seeding (if yay above): 7th

Young player to watch: Simon Edvinsson