2023 Preseason Thread

slothfacekilla

2 hours ago, Shinzaki said:

I think Joe Veleno is going to surprise some people working on that 4th line.  I could see him getting 15-20 goals this season working between Kostin and Fischer

+1 on that.

I'm also in the 90 point range just missing the playoffs. But I would love to be pleasantly surprised if they could squeak in...

Too many young players I'm interested in to just list one...

I'd like to see Veleno take a step up. I also think he has a huge chance even on the 4th line with Kostin & Fischer.  But also Raymond in a big way, and especially Seider. I want to see Seider join the Top 5 Norris consideration ranks.

I even want to see Larkin step up to well over a point per game just because I believe we have more weapons on the 1st line to get him there.

Speaking of which: I want to see DeBrincat get back to 40+ goals.

And Edvinsson come up before midseason and play so well that he doesn't get sent back to GR. Instead, forcing a deadline trade, of... Chiarot? (One can dream of dumping albatrosses into the Pacific... yes?)

The rest of the young guys, even if they don't play a lot in Detroit, are all in GR and that's a long list of players I'd like to see take big steps forward so they are at least pushing on the doors of a Detroit callup...

I'll leave it at that for now.

31 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I'm also in the 90 point range just missing the playoffs. But I would love to be pleasantly surprised if they could squeak in...

Even with DeBrincat, I sort of doubt the players Yzerman brought in are enough to get the Wings into the playoffs. If they make it, it will be development of their homegrown players providing the increment - either the light turns on for guys like Veleno, or Raymond, or a couple of guys from GR prove they are better than what's here and force their way into the line-up. Add some of that to the off season moves and we could passs some teams. But if we don't see some of the next gen players break through this season is going to look pretty much lake last season.

• 6 months later...

Sloth and Buddha and 1984 could hit their points predictions exactly AND be right about just the playoffs, with a Wings OT loss tomorrow. I won’t get my 92 point prediction bang on but could still be right about 9th place. 

Edited by lordstanley