THE GAME #119: #2 Ohio State Buckeyes (11-0) @ #3 Michigan Wolverines (11-0)

MichiganCardinal

6 minutes ago, buddha said:

would need some actual sources.

Of course.  The documentary evidence cited by Stalbombs isn't sufficient.  It will require the NCAA to take this up.  What the NCAA really wants is for Harbaugh to stop advocating for player pay.  They can do that if they get Harbaugh to leave or if they can cook up some charge against him.   So, Williams and Connolly presumably are spreading all this oppo to get the waters muddied so that if this ever gets to a civil case of NCAA vs. University of Michigan they have stuff to fire off.

4 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Of course.  The documentary evidence cited by Stalbombs isn't sufficient.  It will require the NCAA to take this up.  What the NCAA really wants is for Harbaugh to stop advocating for player pay.  They can do that if they get Harbaugh to leave or if they can cook up some charge against him.   So, Williams and Connolly presumably are spreading all this oppo to get the waters muddied so that if this ever gets to a civil case of NCAA vs. University of Michigan they have stuff to fire off.

seems sus to me.

10 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

IMG_6451.thumb.jpeg.d23a4fa1fa1ff2ee48b7fadb79739881.jpeg

It’s Penn State outgaining MSU by 518 yards for me.

Well, the positive side is they only had one turnover.   

So, do you think they'll keep Harlan Barnett?  

What, too soon? 

Absolute nightmare of a season for MSU and a preview of Michigan's 2024 season after they get hammered by penalties and Harbaugh bolts for the Washington Commanders and the good players leave and hit the Transfer Portal.  

I don't have a good feeling today for Michigan.     2021 and 2022 were fun as hell, but it was such a sudden and massive turnaround that I feel the only reason was that Michigan had an elaborate scheme to steal signs and now that's over and here we go.  Plus,  JJ McCarthy ain't right,  he's got some sort of injury and it's taking a massive part of his game away.   It would be very impressive if they won today. 

I hope I'm wrong.   

Anyone who thinks the coaching staff had no idea is naive.  they were smart enough to not leave a paper trail.   

Edited by Motor City Sonics

1 minute ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I don't have a good feeling today for Michigan.     2021 and 2022 were fun as hell, but it was such a sudden and massive turnaround that I feel the only reason was that Michigan had an elaborate scheme to steal signs and now that's over and here we go.  Plus,  JJ McCarthy ain't right,  he's got some sort of injury and it's taking a massive part of his game away.   It would be very impressive if they won today. 

I hope I'm wrong.   

Anyone who thinks the coaching staff had no idea is naive.  they were smart enough to not leave a paper trail.   

I don’t think the signs had anything to do with their wins the last two years, nor do I think not having them will have anything to do with the result today.

Everything else I pretty much agree with.

8 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I think they would regret dumping Ryan Day for the next decade if they force him out. Lloyd Carr was better than Rich Rodriguez and Brady Hoke.

Isn't their AD leaving?    Or did he already? 

The reason the Rich Rod thing didn't work is that they didn't get everyone behind him from the start and then all the Bo worshippers freaked if he did anything differently    Having the coaches TV's show AFTER the game instead of BEFORE the game made people furious.  It was a bunch of really dumb little things like that too.    It caused Rich Rod to get defiant and stubborn.  He could have been quite successful.  He needed to embrace a more appropriate defense for the Big Ten, but I bet, given another year or two, he would have.    Look how good the defensive talent he brought in was in Brady Hoke's first year.   

8 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Isn't their AD leaving?    Or did he already? 

The reason the Rich Rod thing didn't work is that they didn't get everyone behind him from the start and then all the Bo worshippers freaked if he did anything differently    Having the coaches TV's show AFTER the game instead of BEFORE the game made people furious.  It was a bunch of really dumb little things like that too.    It caused Rich Rod to get defiant and stubborn.  He could have been quite successful.  He needed to embrace a more appropriate defense for the Big Ten, but I bet, given another year or two, he would have.    Look how good the defensive talent he brought in was in Brady Hoke's first year.   

I think a lot of this is right, but he didn’t do himself a lot of favors. Installing your scheme - one that is completely foreign to the school and conference - at the expense of going 3-9 and losing to Toledo isn’t a recipe for a long leash.

Part of that job too has to be politicking. You don’t get and keep a job at Texas, USC, or LSU without shaking hands with the right people and getting an invite to the good boys club. I don’t think he had much interest in any of that. He just did his own thing, which, when combined with losing a lot of games, let the good boys club draw their own conclusions about this perceived outsider. It didn’t help having Captain Domino’s Dave Brandon as AD. That dude was just the epitome of failing upwards.

And then they over-corrected by hiring a guy in Brady Hoke that cared more about being at that good boys table than winning games.

34 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I think they would regret dumping Ryan Day for the next decade if they force him out. Lloyd Carr was better than Rich Rodriguez and Brady Hoke.

Ryan Day doesn’t have the odd random out of nowhere unexpected loss to Purdue or Iowa like Urban Meyer does.  He’s lost twice to good Michigan teams, his only 2 losses in the Big Ten.  He’s lost to eventual national champion Georgia in the playoff.  He’s lost in the national championship to Alabama.  He’s lost at home to Oregon which, rivalry aside, is probably his worst loss.  He’s maintained the level of talent that OSU has had for years.  I don’t want to swap him out for Meyer, not a flippin’ chance.

Like MCS, I have an uneasy feeling today. For me it's based on not only how distracted this team might be, but how they've played as of late. I'm worried about JJ and their downfield passing attack given that they just haven't gone deep or stretched the field most recently. I worry about JJ's deep ball accuracy today as well. I'd also like to see more from Donavan Edwards as well to complement Corum. We need him to come alive to help give us the ability to wear them down on the ground. That's been where we've had so much success the past two years and I hope that doesn't change today for us.

1 minute ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Like MCS, I have an uneasy feeling today. For me it's based on not only how distracted this team might be, but how they've played as of late. I'm worried about JJ and their downfield passing attack given that they just haven't gone deep or stretched the field most recently. I worry about JJ's deep ball accuracy today as well. I'd also like to see more from Donavan Edwards as well to complement Corum. We need him to come alive to help give us the ability to wear them down on the ground. That's been where we've had so much success the past two years and I hope that doesn't change today for us.

To win Donavan Edwards has to have a big, big game. 

I wouldn't say I am "uneasy" because I really care a lot less this year.     I am a Michigan fan who is pissed about this whole sign-stealing deal.  It's one thing to steal from the sidelines during the course of the game, but using electronic devices and all, same reason I hate the Houston Astros.    Having someone from your staff banned from watching another game is a stupid rule and the refusal to use microphones and headsets in helmets is silly, but thems the rules and Michigan broke 'em.    Don't want to hear "but what about......"  "but Harbaugh didn't.........".   Give me a break.        The Cheaters And Best.   I still want them to win, but I can still be very disappointed in them.   Like having a kid who cheated on their test and got caught.  

2 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I wouldn't say I am "uneasy" because I really care a lot less this year.     I am a Michigan fan who is pissed about this whole sign-stealing deal.  It's one thing to steal from the sidelines during the course of the game, but using electronic devices and all, same reason I hate the Houston Astros.    Having someone from your staff banned from watching another game is a stupid rule and the refusal to use microphones and headsets in helmets is silly, but thems the rules and Michigan broke 'em.    Don't want to hear "but what about......"  "but Harbaugh didn't.........".   Give me a break.        The Cheaters And Best.   I still want them to win, but I can still be very disappointed in them.   Like having a kid who cheated on their test and got caught.  

I could care less about the sign stealing. It’s meaningless.